Sign in to follow this  
Rob Buckle

Help with Li-Ion batteries

Hello All, :D

I will soon be purchasing a high powered LED flashlight which is powered by Li-Ion 18650 type batteries. My Cellpro Powerlab 8 charger, which I currently use for charging my LiPo battery for my Clod Buster, can charge Li-Ion type batteries - see here.

I have no prior experience of charging Li-Ion but my understanding is that they are as volatile as LiPo if handled/charged incorrectly. I am therefore looking for reassurance that what I propose will work, and work safely.

If I purchase a battery harness like this and solder a pair of banana connectors on the wire ends in order to connect to my charger, am I all set to recharge? Given that there is no balance lead like there is for LiPo, is there an increased risk of explosion/fire when charging? Would it be better to purchase a harness for a single battery to reduce any risk? Or should I just purchase a separate 18650 charger unit?

Cheers,

Rob

If you're trying to charge 3 cells at once the thing that would worry me is the lack of balance,which could result in 1 cell being overcharged,which if Li-Ion cells are like Li-Po cells then there's a high risk of a serious fire/explosion,could you not make up a 3 cell balance charge lead or just charge 1 cell at a time?

Thanks for responding, ;)

If you're trying to charge 3 cells at once the thing that would worry me is the lack of balance...

Yes, me too. :D

...could you not make up a 3 cell balance charge lead or just charge 1 cell at a time?

I can purchase the single battery harness equivalent of the product I linked to previously. See here.

If I use a single battery harness will that setup be safe? Is a balance lead only necessary when charging two or more batteries simultaneously?

Li-ion batteries are in all mobile phones and laptop. and charge from 1 lead and are safer than LiPo too. My chargers do charge all types of cells too . Which is very handy. Just wish the Li-fe batteries were cheaper as they are even safer and dont get knackered if they go completly flat which is a bonus. Even NiHms were dangerous if handled incorrectly by the way. seen them exploded like a nail bomb, bits everywhere where as lipos just smoke a bit.

Li-ion batteries are in all mobile phones and laptop. and charge from 1 lead...

Just so as I'm clear, are you saying I'll be fine charging all three batteries at the same time, or that charging one battery at a time is the safer option?

Just so as I'm clear, are you saying I'll be fine charging all three batteries at the same time, or that charging one battery at a time is the safer option?

Doesnt the flashlight have a charge socket. If so i personnaly would use that instead. but always check yoru battery temps. If they get a tad too hot switch them off.

Thanks for responding, :)

Yes, me too. :lol:

I can purchase the single battery harness equivalent of the product I linked to previously. See here.

If I use a single battery harness will that setup be safe? Is a balance lead only necessary when charging two or more batteries simultaneously?

Yes,the idea behind 'balancing' is to ensure all the cells in a pack are equally charged,if you only charge one cell at a time there's nothing to balance