Sign in to follow this  
Skottoman

Know your Xmas gift - What would you do?

I have no fear in writing this, as my wife never reads Tamiyaclub...

So, last night she says to me, "I have all my xmas shopping done".

Hour or so later I go to my computer, check my email. I have an email from TowerHobbies thanking me for my order, and now I see that I've ordered a Knight Hauler 1/14 Truck!!!

So what happened? I know my wife ordered it for me, but for some reason TowerHobbies notified me? Is it due to the shipping address? I don't think she would log in as me to my Tower account. She doesn't have that information. And she's not stupid, so she wouldn't use my email to confirm shipment.

I have no idea how this happened, but I don't think she knows, but she obviously didn't get the confirmation email, I DID! And now I know what I'm getting for xmas! LAME!

What would you do if your spouse/significant other purchased you a large awesome present, but you know what it is?

Tell her Tower screwed up now? Act surprised xmas day? Tell her after xmas is over?

I really think it's lame because I know this is a "big" gift from her, and she really wanted to surprise me?

What would you do?

Cheers,

Skottoman

Are you sure?

If she did enough research to order you the exact model, then there is a good chance that she's reading this thread right now :)

Hour or so later I go to my computer, check my email. I have an email from TowerHobbies thanking me for my order, and now I see that I've ordered a Knight Hauler 1/14 Truck!!!

So what happened? I know my wife ordered it for me, but for some reason TowerHobbies notified me? Is it due to the shipping address? I don't think she would log in as me to my Tower account. She doesn't have that information. And she's not stupid, so she wouldn't use my email to confirm shipment.

I have no idea how this happened, but I don't think she knows, but she obviously didn't get the confirmation email, I DID! And now I know what I'm getting for xmas! LAME!

What would you do if your spouse/significant other purchased you a large awesome present, but you know what it is?

Tell her Tower screwed up now? Act surprised xmas day? Tell her after xmas is over?

I really think it's lame because I know this is a "big" gift from her, and she really wanted to surprise me?

What would you do?

Cheers,

Skottoman

Perhaps it's not for you ??? ;)

Maybe your Xmas socks and jumper are already wrapped up and hidden away. Now that really would be a surprise on xmas day :)

If it was me, I'd keep quiet.

And make sure I'd got other half something equally nice. :)

i'd keep quite as well. pretend to be suprised and get her something alot nicer. lol

Are you sure?

If she did enough research to order you the exact model, then there is a good chance that she's reading this thread right now :)

I am 99.9% sure she does not visit these forums, or even know where they are...

She didn't have to do much research as she knows I buy my hobby stuff at Towerhobbies, and we were just on a road trip and saw lots of trucks.

I mentioned on the trip how much fun it would be to build one of those in Tamiya form...

I will keep quiet, but even after xmas? Gonna be hard to act surprised when I know EXACTLY what it is... :)

IF it is something you want then keep quiet and be REALLY surprised at Xmas

If its an adhoc comment she has lept upon, and you really don't fancy a truck build in any way then perhaps better to say now, given the outlay !

What would you do?

Cheers,

Skottoman

Tell her!!! It's not like you screwed up or did anything wrong, but if you start pretending and act all suprised and then tell her after the event, UH-OH! If she's gone to all this trouble to get you something really special you owe it to her to be honest.......OK, lecture over! :)

I know what I would not do, order tuning and hop up parts for the truck that will be arriving before x-mass. :)

Well I DO want to build a truck. Didn't think it would be so soon, as I'd planned on doing that later on.

Plus it will require much more cost on my part to actually finish it... I don't even have a 4 channel radio!

Regardless, I think it is really nice that she took the time to think of getting me something RC oriented (First time!).

I don't know what to do really... if I tell her, the surprise is ruined. If I don't, I have to "act" surprised like I didnt' know...

I do think Tower simply assigned the order to my account because of the shipping address. Perhaps I should inquire.

EDIT: I sent Tower an inquiry asking how this might have happened. Hopefully they will send me free stuff for ruining my christmas surprise.

Well I DO want to build a truck. Didn't think it would be so soon, as I'd planned on doing that later on.

Plus it will require much more cost on my part to actually finish it... I don't even have a 4 channel radio!

Regardless, I think it is really nice that she took the time to think of getting me something RC oriented (First time!).

I don't know what to do really... if I tell her, the surprise is ruined. If I don't, I have to "act" surprised like I didnt' know...

I do think Tower simply assigned the order to my account because of the shipping address. Perhaps I should inquire.

EDIT: I sent Tower an inquiry asking how this might have happened. Hopefully they will send me free stuff for ruining my christmas surprise.

There was actually a story in the news early this year or last year where a similar situation (with a phone bill) revealed a wife's infidelity.

some of us have multiple Tower a/cs on different emails all pointing to same address... they do not intermix

Got a response from Tower, here's their explanation...

----

We sincerely regret that we have ruined your gift surprise. We feel just awful about it and offer our most sincere apologies.

The order was placed via phone. I can only guess that either the phone representative failed to flag the order as a gift or perhaps back tracked on the order and it un-tripped the gift flag. The last possibility is that your wife may not have informed us it was a gift but I find that less likely than the human error on our part. The representative that took the order is brand new. We do specific training on how to process gift orders and how to listen for that clue the order is a gift in case the caller doesn't reveal it.

On your request I have not and will not contact your wife unless you approve it but I would like to apologize to her. Just let me know.

We take extra measures to try to prevent an incident such as this and we usually do very well with it but it doesn't excuse this error.

----

How much price can you put on ruining the surprise of christmas? Even if my wife didnt' mention it was a gift, how would they have linked the info to my account?

ARG!!!

I am 99.9% sure she does not visit these forums, or even know where they are...

She didn't have to do much research as she knows I buy my hobby stuff at Towerhobbies, and we were just on a road trip and saw lots of trucks.

I mentioned on the trip how much fun it would be to build one of those in Tamiya form...

I will keep quiet, but even after xmas? Gonna be hard to act surprised when I know EXACTLY what it is... :)

Ok well either way its a great xmas present, enjoy :)

*snip* How much price can you put on ruining the surprise of christmas? Even if my wife didnt' mention it was a gift, how would they have linked the info to my account?

ARG!!!

I love Christmas more than is probably healthy, but I can't be the only jerk who doesn't see this as an epic tragedy...Annoying perhaps, but being upset in a situation where you're still getting a Night Hauler for Christmas because your wife loves you and doesn't think your obsession with "toys" is stupid strikes me as less than sympathetic.

I love Christmas more than is probably healthy, but I can't be the only jerk who doesn't see this as an epic tragedy...Annoying perhaps, but being upset in a situation where you're still getting a Night Hauler for Christmas because your wife loves you and doesn't think your obsession with "toys" is stupid strikes me as less than sympathetic.

Perhaps the "ARG" was a bit over the top.

No, I don't see this as an epic tragedy, I'm not really upset, and yes I'm incredibly stoked to have an awesome wife who encourages my playing with RC "Toys"...

Just more of an unfortunate situation, that's all, and I still don't know what to do about telling her, or not.

I am sure she will be very disappointed if you tell her that you know about the "surprise"..

On the other hand, honesty is a good thing ,so it is indeed a tricky situation..

Actually, i think my next truck will be an Australian version of the Knight Hauler, and i already have a few mods in mind for it, lol..

And actually, Scott.. You CAN run the Tamiya Trucks on a regular 2-channel stick or wheel type transmitter. There are bits included in the kits to lock the gearbox in your preferred gear, and with a stock silvercan, 1st gear should be more than enough speed for a "first time trucker", as they are incredibly (and annoyingly) fast with that motor onboard.. I usually go with Integy 75 or 85 turn lathe motors in mine, and i only use 1st and 2nd gear anyway. :)

i have hd my cream-coloured R620 with low loader carrying around 40 kilogrammes, without any problems, using Servonaut electronics and the Integy Matrix Pro 65 turn lather motor.

Another point i´d like to make is that in MY opinion, the Tamiya MFC-01 is less worth than the box it comes in AFTER having tried Servonaut electronics.. They simply outclass the Tamiya-stuff in every way possible, are easier to mount, as they demand lesser space, and are very easy to re-fit with other modules from Servonaut for more sound, extra features and so on.

Only "downside" is that you will have to solder all the LED´s yourself, which shouldn´t be too hard a task for you i am sure. :)

Cheers..

Michael

Perhaps the "ARG" was a bit over the top.

No, I don't see this as an epic tragedy, I'm not really upset, and yes I'm incredibly stoked to have an awesome wife who encourages my playing with RC "Toys"...

Just more of an unfortunate situation, that's all, and I still don't know what to do about telling her, or not.

Right, in fairness my comment came out much harsher than intended as well. If I were in the situation, I'd likely not say anything until Christmas then let her know after. You're unlikely to get stung for "not being honest" since you're clearly keeping the secret to preserve her joy.

Yes you can , as they say run them on a 2 channel transmitter. theres a little clip in the box you fix the the gear change shaft to lock it in gear. I had a Globe Liner once but swapped it for an E-maxx as never used my truck.

Also it might be for your wife ;) She`ll get you to build it so she can drive it

I would tell her after you have opened it.

Yes, she will be disappointed that she didn't really get to surprise you but the excitement that you will get should still be evident to her when you open it. I am sure that when you open it and take that deep breath to inhale that new kit smell and then rummage around in the kit like a six year old it will make up for the loss of surprise.

I would tell her after you have opened it.

Yes, she will be disappointed that she didn't really get to surprise you but the excitement that you will get should still be evident to her when you open it. I am sure that when you open it and take that deep breath to inhale that new kit smell and then rummage around in the kit like a six year old it will make up for the loss of surprise.

This is the most likely scenario!

This is the most likely scenario!

My wife just said you should act surprised, don't ruin it for her by letting on you knew about it. ;)

It's not about whether you are supposed to act "surprised" or not IMO. It is about whether you act like you have a wonderful wife who bought you a cracking gift - easy enough to do I would guess! ;)

If she asks you if you were surprised, you should just fess up and tell her what happened - you were and still are surprised that you got such a wonderful gift, but you got an early alert from Tower by accident. Otherwise, take that info to the grave with you.

My 2 cents worth.