Meakz1973

CC-01 tires and wheels help

Hi guys,

After days of confusing research and going through my usual over analysis and comparison process, I am still completely in the dark about the CC-01. I'm all of a sudden interested in buying a scale/ crawler venhicle... never appealed to me until now!

I keep going back and forth between the CR-01 and CC-01. I’m definitely only looking for a Tamiya despite the well documented superior performance of an Axial. Mostly will be used for light trail running and the novelty to me of having a scale truck!. Most important is that it looks how I want it to look!

My issue with the CR-01 is that it looks slightly monster truck’ish and just a bit out of proportion all sat up high on those springs…..although I like the 2.2 wheels. still an option though. Looks fun!

My issue with the CC-01 is that it looks way too plain and sensible to me with stock sized wheels/tires. I guess I'm looking for something in between the 2! I think I can achieve this by changing wheels/tires size on CC-01.

Budget wise, leaving plenty for hop ups the CC-01 makes great sense.

I’ve looked all over for tire and wheel choices for cc-01 that will make it look ‘ beefier’. I’m looking for the wheels to stick out from arches and generally be larger than stock .. I’ve read that some tires will require modding the CC-01 chassis to fit. I’s like to avoid this if possible,

What tires/wheels have you seen or run that BEEF up the standard CC-01 please?

Thanks!

Being new to the CC-01 myself, and into it for about the same reasons as you, here's what I've found.

The stock tires are hard as rocks and really only good for basic dirt running, and you're right, they are small and non-beefy looking.

I've also found that people are using 1.9 wheel/tire sets to upgrade, but the overall diameter of the tire should be less than about 4 inches for it to clear and look good.

Also will add that different bodies have different clearance issues, but under 4" diameter is a good start. I think that's about 96mm?

Do some searching on google for "1.9 cc01"

Cheers,

Skottoman

---

Tamiya Highlift Tires (I have a pair and look awesome, not as hard as stock, but not real soft either)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXPME2&P=7

As seen on my Unimog

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...61&id=22013

Defender 90 ebay tires (I have a pair and they are really nice looking and super soft!)

Search ebay, although the sellers seem to be out of stock at the moment.

HPI Yokohama Geolander tires (These look scale and are larger than stock)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXADJJ&P=7

Good photo/thread on Tamiaycrawler

http://www.tamiyacrawlers.com/forum/showth...17901#post17901

Cheers Skottoman,

Great response and very helpful, thanks!

Nice Unimog you have built there.. are they the RC4WD creepers you have fitted? They seem to be the largest nicest option I have seen.

I'm leaning toward the jeep wrangler purely as it is a hard body. I might also buy a RTR CR-01 FJ40 for $384 as that is a steal

Would this Junfac item allow for a larger tire to be used? Out of stock at the moment.

Junfac 4 link

Loving the hop up and scale look possibilities of these models!

edit: oooooooooooooohhhhhhhh!!!!!

Funny you sound just like me when it comes to sticking with tamiya for your crawler/trail truck despite Axial dominance. The CR01 is somewhere between a scaler and 2.2 comp rig more capable than a SCX10 scaler but nowhere near as capable as an XR10 comp rig.CR01 is top heavy and can use a few simple mods to cure what ales it and make it a competent fun crawler. It's on my list to buy and kind of have to since i have Tamiya option parts sitting around for it.

On the the enduring CC01 Great choice can be made into a pretty capable Rig with a few easy mods

Tires for it are ideally 1.9 stock wheel size or 1.55. Tires should be 4.0in tall or less and up to 1.5in wide pretty much anything from RC4WD preferably in their X3 compound.

Depending on what body you plan on running fJ,Bronco,Pajero,Jeep wider tires will look good rc4wd mudthrashers, tomahawks,rock creepers,dirtthrashers,prowlers ETC. are all good choices and look scale with those bodies and much wider than stock. On the Unimog those tires will work but IMHO The body begs for a tall narrow tire for a scale look RC4WD trailbusters look awesome although they are a tick over 4in tall they work albeit with a loss of about 2-3 tenths of an inch loss in articulation (due to the fender liner rubbing liner can be cut though) over the other wider offerings but does offer more ground clearance.

None of these tires although wider than stock will give you that extreme Bulging out the fenders look but they do look much beefier. A wider stance could be achieved with a +5 offset 1.9 wheel though giving you the look your after.

Now Go get yourself a CC01 and join the Club!

RC4WD

Being new to the CC-01 myself, and into it for about the same reasons as you, here's what I've found.

The stock tires are hard as rocks and really only good for basic dirt running, and you're right, they are small and non-beefy looking.

I've also found that people are using 1.9 wheel/tire sets to upgrade, but the overall diameter of the tire should be less than about 4 inches for it to clear and look good.

Also will add that different bodies have different clearance issues, but under 4" diameter is a good start. I think that's about 96mm?

Do some searching on google for "1.9 cc01"

Cheers,

Skottoman

Dammit you beat me to it

Would this Junfac item allow for a larger tire to be used? Out of stock at the moment.

Junfac 4 link

Loving the hop up and scale look possibilities of these models!

edit: oooooooooooooohhhhhhhh!!!!!

The Junfac will not allow for larger tires off the bat but is a good upgrade and will free up rear articulation and is a good starting point...highly recommended

RPP Hobby has them in stock here in cali JUNFAC 4 LINK

Cheers Skottoman,

Great response and very helpful, thanks!

Nice Unimog you have built there.. are they the RC4WD creepers you have fitted? They seem to be the largest nicest option I have seen.

I'm leaning toward the jeep wrangler purely as it is a hard body. I might also buy a RTR CR-01 FJ40 for $384 as that is a steal

He has the HiLift tires fitted in those photos..

If you want a CR01 for a good deal then CR01 FJ40 and here is a $50 dollar off coupon code 016R7 that takes it to $300 plus 10 dollars shipping

Thanks Calicool....

I like the idea of offset wheels. Is '+5' a 5mm offset?

Would I need to mod the axles or wheelhubs at all? I'm not familiar with offset wheels and how they work.

I was looking at this wheel comparison chart from RC4WD but cant see a 5mm offset or anything close.

I do like these wheels nice wheels ( although $$$$ and I want a spare for the back too!) and they state they are designed for maximum offset. Do you know if they would work with CC-01?

EDIT: I saw these for 13mm offset...that might be a bit aggressive though Junfac offset hex wideners

EDIT 2 : According to this post: How to add 5mm offset! I can use these from Tamiya: Alum wheel hub 6mm

I'm still confused though... how would these widen the wheel stance, and would I need longer wheel axles to accommodate these or the Junfac 13mm ones?

sorry for CC01 newb questions!

Thanks Calicool....

I like the idea of offset wheels. Is '+5' a 5mm offset?

Would I need to mod the axles or wheelhubs at all? I'm not familiar with offset wheels and how they work.

I was looking at this wheel comparison chart from RC4WD but cant see a 5mm offset or anything close.

I do like these wheels nice wheels ( although $$$$ and I want a spare for the back too!) and they state they are designed for maximum offset. Do you know if they would work with CC-01?

EDIT: I saw these for 13mm offset...that might be a bit aggressive though Junfac offset hex wideners

EDIT 2 : According to this post: How to add 5mm offset! I can use these from Tamiya: Alum wheel hub 6mm

I'm still confused though... how would these widen the wheel stance, and would I need longer wheel axles to accommodate these or the Junfac 13mm ones?

This is good. I've got an XB Pajero that I keep wanting to modify (Ideally, I'd like to pick up a Mu bodyshell) so keep the ideas coming.

yes +5mm you could use these for example 12mm hex with 5mm offset and a 0 to 12mm negative offset 1.9 which would be the wheels that come with any of the CC01 Kits or these for instance hex mount cruiser beadlocks Pretty much all 1.9 are designed for a 12mm hex but look at descriptions some are pin mount and not hex especially some RC4WD beadlocks

The tamiya hex's that you linked appear to be 6mm size hex that does not appear to be 6mm offset according to their vague description (Edit but hey i have never seen an rc with a 6mm hex that would be tiny so it must be 12mm hex with 6mm offset) those would work just fine if they are +6mm.You want a 12mm hex with 5mm or so offset

yes they will widen the stance the only issue you may run into would be running out of threads on the axle to thread on a standard nyloc wheel nut

Alternatively if you could find some 1.9 wheels that you like with 5 or 6mm built in that would give you the stance without the hexes and you would not have to worry about running out of threads on the axle HPI used to offer the popular for scale crawling 0mm offset stock car wheels also as a 6mm offset but they no longer seem to be made just 0 offset. They do have the vintage stock car wheel 6mm offset but it a 31mm wide wheel best to stick with 25 or 26mm wide.

'yes they will widen the stance the only issue you may run into would be running out of threads on the axle to thread on a standard nyloc wheel nut'

Thanks for all your help, but how can I avoid this, can I get hold of longer axles?

'Alternatively if you could find some 1.9 wheels that you like with 5 or 6mm built in that would give you the stance without the hexes and you would not have to worry about running out of threads'

Sorry, I don't know what to exactly look for here...

Thanks!!!!

For what it’s worth I will be putting these Land Cruiser wheels on my FJ40 CC01.

I got them form an eBay seller hwpeterl who had/has wheel and tyre combo.

wheels.jpg

Try JunFac’s eBay store I got my 4 Link and Skid plate form them when their website said out of stock.

Standard 12mm Tamiya drive hexes are 5mm thick. Optional drive hexes are 4mm or 6mm thick. These will reduce or increase the track of the vehicle by 2mm. If you use the 6mm thick drive hexes then use them with thin wheel nuts so the nylock part of the nut will still engage the thread.

Offset wheel +5mm will widen the overall track by 10mm total (when fitted with standard 5mm thick drive hexes). Combine 6mm thick drive hexes and the +5mm offset wheels will increase the track by 12mm total.

Hope this clears up the confusion between drive hex thickness and wheel offset affecting the overall track. (Note that RC wheel offset if backwards to real car wheel offset).

Are those fast track Kongs (or whatever they're called) - I've got a couple of sets of the smaller ones (96mm I think) and found that anything larger than the stock wheel is going to rub on a CC/XC vehicle, unless you raise the body - easily done on the rear, not so on the front.

RC4WD 1.55's look superb on Pajero's, being a slightly smaller wheel with proportionally more tyre, but less tyre than most after market 1.9's - if that makes sense.

(Not mine, sadly)

1_55paj.jpg

For what it’s worth I will be putting these Land Cruiser wheels on my FJ40 CC01.

I got them form an eBay seller hwpeterl who had/has wheel and tyre combo.

wheels.jpg

I got this exact set from the same seller. Tires are super soft and nubs look grippy. Can't wait to try them on an FJ40 body I'm building.

It's Dark Blue with white roof. I already installed the spare on the rear.

Looks great but need to build up another CC01 chassis to go with it so I don't have to disassemble the MOG!

Cheers,

Skottoman

Don't forget you can raise the shell without any major mods (turn the front shell mount upside down is the easy one). I run 1.9 mudslingers on mine and they're great. Shave a little off the inside of the wheel arches is no big job too.

PC150026.jpg

PC150029.jpg

This thread makes me want another CC-01.

I had a jeep on 1.55s and it looked the nuts. The Jeep has a larger scale body probably nearer 1;9 while the pajero is actually really small, probably nearer 1:11 so you should definitely go for 1.55s if you have a Pajero.