Singleseven

Fast Attack Willy

Thanks mate, I think you're right. I've been playing around this afternoon and look what fits inside...

8105592305_8c4f22e7ee_m.jpg

:D

It even looks a bit like a space-saver "donut" spare. Just remember, keep it under 50 mph when using it... :)

It even looks a bit like a space-saver "donut" spare. Just remember, keep it under 50 mph when using it... :)

That rules-out a brushless set-up then :P

• Like 1

This is great! Still finding the parts to replicate the look, while keeping it unique and scale.

Keep it up...

Cheers,

Skottoman

So a little more (slow) progress...

DSCF5276.jpgDSCF5277.jpg

I would like to make some decals for the project, the main one being for the spare wheel cover which at the moment looks like this...

Wheelcover.jpg

I'm not sure about the number at the bottom - sequentially it's the next number after the one quoted on the M38 so i'll dwell on it for now (ironically I have no qualms about 'Fast Attack Willy', though I know i'll get stick for it :P ). In the meantime I want to start work on the winch; i know what i want to do, just need to crack-on.

But first a 5 day break with the family at Centre parcs :D

Great idea for the logo on the spare! BRANDING! :)

Fast Attack Willy all the way...

• Like 1

So my wife is out this evening and the children are all asleep......woooohooooo!

Finally i managed to get the winch set-up together and I feel this project is starting to come together. This was quite a challenge and alot harder than I expected. Initally I tried attaching the winch as is but it just didn't sit right, so I googled 'winch bracket', the fog started to clear and I tried a different approach resulting in this...

DSCF5425.jpg

DSCF5424.jpg

sorry pictures are not great

I also wanted to modify the front bumper so it has a more scale look and sits better with the winch. I removed a 20mm section either side, essentially shortening it and removed the side parts altogether. Actually this was alot easier than i expected...

DSCF5422.jpg

DSCF5421.jpg

Oh, and I finally got the hang of posting decent size potos on the forum via photobucket; just need to get them in focus now... :unsure:

Looking good! It's nice when a project comes together, and it looks like you have all the right pieces to really create and finish the Fast Attack Willy!

Keep at it, I'm really looking forward to seeing it completed. Your photos look great also.

Cheers,

Skottoman

Time for one more update in 2012.

Recently i've been painting some of the smaller components as I strip the car back down to paint the chassis prior to re-building the completed project. Today I put Willy in the cockpit to get a feel for how he will look with jerry can and fuel cell. I'm quite pleased although I think the driver's side needs something to balance the jerry can on the right. I've got something(s) in mind but need a little help, so I'll hopefully update you on that as (if) things develop.

DSCF5468_zps0fa6e7f4.jpg

DSCF5477_zpsba801280.jpg

DSCF5473_zpsd77a97dd.jpg

One thing I am struggling a little with, is the roll cage foam that I want to put on the two main roll bars positioned either side of Willy and that run over the top to the rear cage. I've tried some silcone tubing with an i.d. of 6mm and o.d. of 11mm, but it's way too big. Next I tried some heatshrink tubing with an i.d. of 5mm & 6mm, but in contrast to the silcone tubing it's not big enough, i.e. not thick enough. what I really want is some tubing with an i.d. of 5 & 6mm and an o.d. of 7 & 8mm. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

I'm looking forward to finishing this in 2013, hopefully sooner rather than later, but i'm also looking forward to seeing all your cars, projects, thoughts and ideas over the next 12 months.

Happy New Year to all :)

• Like 1

Your painting looks awesome! Looks like Willy has his arms and gloves in order now...

For the foam/tubing, maybe go to an auto parts store and see if you can get some vacuum hose, or fuel line?

There's got to be something out there about the correct diameter for that effect you're looking for.

Really looking forward to seeing this creation completed. We should start a FAV Willy club. Haha...

Cheers,

Skottoman

Willy looks like he really belongs in there, very neatly done. I think Theibault's suggestion of an axe and/or shovel on the driver's side would look good (though an axe is easier to make).

Thanks for the input guys!

Theibault, yes I think your right mate and they are what I had in mind, although there's been a slight change of plan!!! Originally I had planned on making these but then yesterday I was clearing out some of the kids toys when I was rummaging through a box full of bits n bobs; you know the sort of small components that always get discarded or lost from the main toy. Anyway look what I found... :D

DSCF5479_zpse03b564e.jpg

For the foam/tubing, maybe go to an auto parts store and see if you can get some vacuum hose, or fuel line?

There's got to be something out there about the correct diameter for that effect you're looking for.

Spot-on Skottoman! Thanks to Google, I finally tracked some tubing down in China...

DSCF5607_zps878629a2.jpg

The jerry can and tools are also just about done, so pretty soon I'll be painting the chassis prior to starting the re-build :)

• Like 1

I was wondering when this would re-appear :)

The tubing looks spot on, really looking forward to seeing this come together.

• Like 1

I was wondering when this would re-appear :)

The tubing looks spot on, really looking forward to seeing this come together.

Thanks mate. Yes, it's been a while since my last update but I've been doing bits as time permits. I'm looking forward to getting this finished and posted in my showroom.

Glad my suggestion helped a bit. Whatever you got for the tubing looks PERFECT!

I love these mash-up mixes of Tamiya Vehicles... I need to do antother one!

Great work, and again, waiting to see the finished product!

Cheers,

Skottoman

• Like 1

I like all the detail going into this, the more I see willy in other rides the more I like him!

• Like 1

Glad my suggestion helped a bit. Whatever you got for the tubing looks PERFECT!

I love these mash-up mixes of Tamiya Vehicles... I need to do antother one!

Great work, and again, waiting to see the finished product!

Cheers,

Skottoman

Looking good mate, keep it going, you'll get to that finishing line soon.. :rolleyes:

I like all the detail going into this, the more I see willy in other rides the more I like him!

Oh, coming along nicely. More updates please.

James.

Thanks for your comments guys; they keep me motivated :)

Oh, coming along nicely. More updates please.

James.

Ok. Apart from making a decal for the spare wheel cover, the roll cage is finished;

DSCF5619_zpsd268db04.jpg

DSCF5620_zps2660cf68.jpg

DSCF5622_zpsdd066e61.jpg

DSCF5624_zps0171a901.jpg

Next, I'm going to be painting the chassis; will update soon :)

This is so great! Really capturing the essence of Willy's M38...

Excellent details! Keep the pix coming, you're in the final chapter!

Cheers,

Skottoman

How good does that car look, even without suspension and wheels - classic!

James.