VTRSP1

Leopard2A6

Any plans to fit a 'Heng Long Smoke Generator' (or similar) in it? ......it'll be awesome!!

Its darn expensive all right, think its the most expensive tank among all Tamiya tank.

This is the latest updated design, that was a 2A5 before this, and a 2A4 or a 1A4...............

Its also the most complicated one.....but its also the most pretty among the other WW2 models.

To right!

I knew it was latest and most advanced compared to the other tanks but it must be 10years old now still. I wish I bought a lot more tamiya before recession kicked in now its just silly money for some of there bigger kits.

Finally have some time to work again on the tank,

1st, i fixed up the Turret Rings

f9465a14.jpg

Next, i finally managed to put on some colors

1st, Lower Hull

765d0c69.jpg

2nd, Wheels

f29510dc.jpg

i only sprayed the outer wheel cos the inner wheel cant b seem when install together

Next, i started the installation of the Torsion Bars and upgraded to ball bearings all round

baa92fc6.jpg

8265ed96.jpg

Next, was the road wheels installation itself. its such a PITA to have to cut out the road wheels rubber manual, doing the same thg over n over for 28 wheels, and putting them on the road wheel itself for 28 times.

this is only 1 road wheel

c1aca057.jpg

completed the 1st road wheel,

83cce6f5.jpg

another 27 more to go......:mad: together with IMPACT metal suspension arms

be23da81.jpg

After awhile....... :rolleyes:

3b7cb12b.jpg

next was the Idler wheels installation,i got IMPACT upgrade part to replace the plastic Tamiya was providing...

87c8e745.jpg

3c2d56a0.jpg

last bit i managed to do was to install the gearbox, road wheel on, track and the speaker.....

387816b2.jpg
349a968e.jpg
1ecbad46.jpg
34b59672.jpg
c8bf31d8.jpg
efbd8a7a.jpg

thats all for today, will try to do more when i get off my work.

.....but its also the most pretty among the other WW2 models.

It is pretty for a thing of destruction, but it is a modern tank, not WW2. You may be getting it mixed up with the WW2 big cats, the Panther and Tigers

Are the tracks pre-built? I recalled building the 1st Leopard with the metal tracks, where every track had to be assembled by hammering and gluing the tiny connecting links to each ends of the rods inorder to join the tracks together. It was no fun.

Look forward in seeing your completed beast.

Yes, the tracks are pre-assemble from the factory.

I'm getting close to fin the Leo, still have the turret, gun to finish up.

Some pixs of the progress will be up soon.

2ecf824e.jpg

d10924c3.jpg

de571187.jpg

Did some painting.

2ec614aa.jpg

d1265b9c.jpg

Installed the IMPACT metal hull hooks

024a1223.jpg

The optic fibre lights

0e47348a.jpg

9657a196.jpg

7178c94b.jpg

Main body almost completed

76ac0cae.jpg

Installation of the turret ring n lower part of the turret

a2f9ee70.jpg

Lookin good in dark green, are you going to weather it some? I think the fibre optic lights are just sooo cool!

Had to open to cover to pull put the wires, was too short and kept too much inside.

6998426c.jpg

Some of the painted parts for today

9bb75fd1.jpg

Started the installation of the main gun unit.

d0d4fabf.jpg

b7a36a55.jpg

afaf549b.jpg

Then i ran into problem,

The painted lower half of the main gun was struck and the recoil action doesnt work.

I had to sand away the painted area.

25ade97e.jpg

After that, the recoil spring was over stretched and wont work anymore.

Looking through my spares, manage to find a stronger and better spring

ecb81ed3.jpg

Now, i have tidy up all the wirings.

44177af5.jpg

Wow lots of wiring I think if I ever get one of these it will also be one of the most stressful builds ever! take me years to complete with all the painting to, but I still really want one lol!

So the painted barrel caused the jam which killed the spring?

Since it doesn't look like you've modified the battery tray in any way I though I'd bring this up. Tthere's an older thread somewhere that points out some high capacity batteries don't fit in the tray molded in the turret. The suggestion was to test fit your batteries before closing things up and dremel the thing if necessary.

Wow lots of wiring I think if I ever get one of these it will also be one of the most stressful builds ever! take me years to complete with all the painting to, but I still really want one lol!

You should get one. Building it was so rewarding.

So the painted barrel caused the jam which killed the spring?

Since it doesn't look like you've modified the battery tray in any way I though I'd bring this up. Tthere's an older thread somewhere that points out some high capacity batteries don't fit in the tray molded in the turret. The suggestion was to test fit your batteries before closing things up and dremel the thing if necessary.

I suppose so. Cause even after i remove the paint, the spring wont pull it back for the recoil action. Will try to upload the video.

Ya, i tried with my lipo batt and its a tab too big, will have to sort out that 1st before tidying up the wires and closing it, thanks for the advise.

video of the shot stock spring

i had to manually push the barrel down to the motor

video of the new, stronger spring

[media=]

had to cut down/away part of the batt holder to fit in the lipo batt

607bf75e.jpg

1st attempt to tidy up the wirings..might have to redo as the turret cant close properly near the rear.

48dff9c9.jpg

at least it was better than before

44177af5.jpg

e750fbd8.jpg

Smoke dischargers

f2a7f26c.jpg

a7bca7a5.jpg

Wow! Really great build thread and photos!

I do think I will have to build a tank or 2 in my future. I've become obsessed with the more difficult builds lately, and find them (as you say) to be more rewarding.

Looks like TONS to paint if you really wanted to get detailed with it all...

Again, nice job on the photos, and descriptions. I'll have to start doing research on the tank kits... Heh.

Cheers,

Skottoman

• Like 1

Wow! Really great build thread and photos!

I do think I will have to build a tank or 2 in my future. I've become obsessed with the more difficult builds lately, and find them (as you say) to be more rewarding.

Looks like TONS to paint if you really wanted to get detailed with it all...

Again, nice job on the photos, and descriptions. I'll have to start doing research on the tank kits... Heh.

Cheers,

Skottoman

Thanks Skottoman,

You are also doing a great build thread with the reefer, love the effort you put in to polish up the panels and making it shine, the custom decals, all the details.

You should build a tank too, bet it will be much nicer than mine with your attention to all the details.

After this tank, i should be getting back to start my MAN project and maybe a custom build lowbed for the tank.

Redo the whole cables arrangement, this is version 2.0. Must say i am much happier with this layout, the hull can close properly. Just need to get a smaller batt and the space would be better.

06f464e8.jpg

This was before, the rear of the hull cant close properly.

13ca94db.jpg

Hull paintng done

0538f1f8.jpg

Lazy man style, masking of all the clear parts and simply spray.

bc798053.jpg

c0b8866c.jpg

90% completed, just some minor details like the spade,weathering,misc to add in, radio has been setup with the DMD and it was a BLAST for the test run. Will try to upload the video soon

6c580710.jpg

0f17895a.jpg

ok, here a video of the test run. FUN. was late in the night,had to turn the volume down, otherwise, it was a blast.

[media=]

[/media]
  • Like 1