Sign in to follow this  
wolfdogstinkus

Sand Rover 2011

Weather is getting in the way of finishing my Sand Rover, but I've got the holes filled in & primer on, just needs a few pinholes filling & rubbing down ... then more primer & rubbing down, undercoat, colour coat, clear coat, detail painting, final assembly ... :( / :)

009_001_2012-01-31.jpg

You got quite the paint collection there! :rolleyes: Where did you get the cooler and the box for covering those god ugly holes, did you made them?

I would like big fat knobby tires all around for beach running, kind of like the street rover, which to me is sexier. :wub:

... Where did you get the cooler and the box for covering those god ugly holes, did you made them?

Yep, they're home made. Nothing special, just styrene sheet, glue, filler, sanding, & a bit of time ... then more tha n half of each hacked off to make them fit:

cooler002.jpg

002_001_hack_cooler.jpg

002_004_crate_edges.jpg

002_005_crate_hack.jpg

:)

That's easy for you to say, glue this together, sand it a bit, a screw / nut here, paint it, grind out the sides....and wah La your cooler. I have left two hooks and I keep getting bleeding nose :lol: Thanks Jonny Retro and the step by step process photos. I was hoping they were purchased, hence easier for me. Now I will have see what is available, taking the easy way out, hehe.

Have a look here..

http://stores.ebay.c...d=p4634.c0.m322

the tool box might be a bit small , but a couple of jerry cans and a tarpoline folded/rolled up would suffice for under a tenner !

Good ideals and thks.

However the little man may not like the idea of couple of jerry cans behind him. He will said to me..., sure why don't you put me inside a Pinto or call the ride Fire Ball Rover, or Pinroverto. I have feeling the little 1/10 tough guy will refuse to drive it with the Jerry cans. :lol:

Well you'll have to go for the Proline accessory set with the cooler box etc - ca £17 !

I just opened the gearbox on the Sand Rover after my beach run. It was very clean inside, not a trace of sand in there,

DSCF5476.jpg

So a quick wipe over of the gearbox halfs, some more grease on the gears, and more grease in the diff.

And thanks to TA-Mark and his advice with the steel pinion, there was no wear on the gears, and no grey paste in the box.

DSCF5477.jpg

DSCF5475.jpg

Just a tip what i do is put a fine coat of grease on the 2 gear box halfs where they seal together this further stops sand from getting into the gear box I also do it on the side gear cover plate.

I just opened the gearbox on the Sand Rover after my beach run. It was very clean inside, not a trace of sand in there,

DSCF5476.jpg

So a quick wipe over of the gearbox halfs, some more grease on the gears, and more grease in the diff.

And thanks to TA-Mark and his advice with the steel pinion, there was no wear on the gears, and no grey paste in the box.

DSCF5477.jpg

DSCF5475.jpg

Thanks Shenlonco, good tip, I was thinking about water-proofing this car, was thinking about putting the electrics in a box, but then if the box leaks, everything gets wet.

maybe just balloons and grease then?.

I know how to do the servo, so it's just the ESC and receiver.

I just strapped a camera to the roll bar but it's too dark to get a decent video at the moment, I will try again tomorrow.

... I was thinking about water-proofing this car, was thinking about putting the electrics in a box, but then if the box leaks, everything gets wet.

I've done "proper" waterproofing - thick balloons, sealant, zip ties - in the hope it would be permanent, but TBH it's more trouble than it's worth. Inevitably you end up sealing some air in there, and the moisture in it condenses out on the electronics ... now I just go for a "ghetto" job as & when it's needed - pop the RX & ESC in ziplock bags, ziptie them closed & duct tape them to the chassis .... then rip the whole lot off & let the bits breathe again once you're done.

:)

• Like 1

I've found the project boxes they sell in Maplins (or Radioshack in the US) are very good at keeping the water out while leaving enough room for cooling etc. They usually have screw down lids so with a little bead of sealant or craft foam they can be made almost 100% watertight. Use one on my Wraith and it's not failed yet with all the abuse I've put it through.

<p>Thanks Jonny Retro, are these methods good for a full submerge?, not really looking for that, just want peace of mind when going through puddles really or using it in the wet.

Thanks Mr Crispy, It was just an idea really, was busy working on the car and thought, "what else can I do to it?"

Made a video, but have to admit, it's not very good due to the camera slipping and only being able to see the bonnet but it does feature a guest appearance from the dog next door.

I will make a better one sometime soon.

Hey what i would do is get a traxxas blue water proof servo and a traxxas water proof RX box that will fit in the car . your esc a easy run i think they are water proof already.

This looks SWEET!! may want to try it on the rover!! i am going to do it on my holiday buggy also !!

I had a venom fireball motor laying around so i dropped it in and with the silver i painted on the gear box with the motors big heat fins it actually looks like theres a real motor in the rear now!! I like it!!!

IMG_1102.jpg

• Like 1

I'm liking that look. Seems like your driver fitted a proper boxer engine in his buggy : )

I'm liking that look. Seems like your driver fitted a proper boxer engine in his buggy : )

Yea he surly knows what he's doing that's for sure!! :P

wolfdogstinkus just curious you have that 4300KV in the sr did you ever use a temp gun and point it at the side of the motor right at the side ball bearing and see how hot it's running...I think for the SR gear box and pinion options the motor you have is probably way to much RPM and you may probably be over heating it and burning it out.

wolfdogstinkus just curious you have that 4300KV in the sr did you ever use a temp gun and point it at the side of the motor right at the side ball bearing and see how hot it's running...I think for the SR gear box and pinion options the motor you have is probably way to much RPM and you may probably be over heating it and burning it out.

No, never measured temp accurately, but the motor never gets hot enough to burn my finger, and with the standard wheels it never gets warm, with larger wheels the motor does get warm.The main problem is getting traction, it's mostly just wheeelspin.Is there any way I can test it?,

I run 4600Kv MambaMax in my DT02MS without any over temperature issues. Using Star Dish wheels and square spikes on the rear.

4500Kv/4600Kv is about the limit of the gearing with buggy sized wheels (9.28:1 and 2WD).

• Like 1

On a similar subject, I just ran a battery pack through my Blitzer beetle with the castle creations sidewinder 4600KV motor and it got extremly hot, too hot to touch, but it was stuttering the whole run so if it was running smooth it might not get hot?.

On a similar subject, I just ran a battery pack through my Blitzer beetle with the castle creations sidewinder 4600KV motor and it got extremly hot, too hot to touch, but it was stuttering the whole run so if it was running smooth it might not get hot?.

ESC settings, gearing, the larger than normal wheels, running in high load conditions? Could be many reasons why it was hot. Stuttering is certainly not normal. The only time any of my Castle systems have stuttered was when I was still using Ni-MH packs and one or more of the cells in the pack had failed.

I think it is the battery Mark, I am still waiting for the lipo to come, and don't really have any better packs to try just now.

I will try it again with less load (wheels off ground)

It accelerates smoothly if I feed the power in, if I just blast the throttle it stutters.

Sorry, going off topic now, I will continue this discussion in my castle thread.Proline Dirt works front and back, Tarmac track (gated car park)I think the ESC is set on max punch and the battery can't supply enough power. 3000nimh about a year old and used a lot.