Sign in to follow this  
wolfdogstinkus

Sand Rover 2011

It accelerates smoothly if I feed the power in, if I just blast the throttle it stutters.

Sorry, going off topic now, I will continue this discussion in my castle thread.

certainly sounds like your battery pack can;t deliver enough amperage to satisfy the demands from the esc. Have the same issue running poorer lower capacity NiMH packs on my Blitzer Beetle with 17x2 motor.

Hi the stuttering your on about is called cogging and is caused by trying to run the motor with a pinion that is too large i have always lowered by a few teeth when changing from brushed to brushless motors this will stop the juddering and allow the motor to run cooler i dont think that you will notice the difference in speed but it will set off a lot quicker !

i can only advise from my own experiance . When i went over to lipo i swoped out the pinion on my blitzer to the small option - that cured the stuttering .

Weather is getting in the way of finishing my Sand Rover, but I've got the holes filled in & primer on, just needs a few pinholes filling & rubbing down ... then more primer & rubbing down, undercoat, colour coat, clear coat, detail painting, final assembly ... :) / :D

009_001_2012-01-31.jpg

Am i correct in thinking that if i use this body on a SRB that i can cover the rear seat holes entirely ? If so i'll add a bench seat and seat back . I just think it would look neater than a cooler box ect . To my mind this has to be on the SRB . VW type running gear belongs on a beach buggy .

Hi the stuttering your on about is called cogging and is caused by trying to run the motor with a pinion that is too large i have always lowered by a few teeth when changing from brushed to brushless motors this will stop the juddering and allow the motor to run cooler i dont think that you will notice the difference in speed but it will set off a lot quicker !

True that's why i keep saying a 4300KV is to much rpm for the sand rover chassis on 2S lipo that's 31,800RPM and to turn a big 17 tooth pinion at that RPM is hard.

Sorry but I have a stupid question. Is the only difference between the Sand Rover, and the Street Rover, the wheels and tires?

Cheers,

Skottoman

True that's why i keep saying a 4300KV is to much rpm for the sand rover chassis on 2S lipo that's 31,800RPM and to turn a big 17 tooth pinion at that RPM is hard.

The sand rover runs fine, it's the blitzer beetle I am having problems with.

Sorry but I have a stupid question. Is the only difference between the Sand Rover, and the Street Rover, the wheels and tires?

Cheers,

Skottoman

Hi the sand rover don't have 540 motor and also don't have full ball bearings other than the street tires and wheels and pre painted body they are the same .

Get yourself a LCD digi infired temprature gauge and then run your buggy off road and measure the tems around the motors casing and I bet your motor is over 160 Deg and with brushless the outside casing temp readings is actually much more cooler than the internal copper windings that are running much hortter.

This is why guy's like to run 150Deg

ok . What exactly is the spec your running ? I run mine on 2s lipo with a 9T 4370kv brushless and the small pinion . No temp issues at all . There is room to fit a heat sink and fan but i have'nt found it nessesary . Have you checked the entire gear set and diff and have you full ball bearings fitted ? If you can tell me more i may be able to advise as to what the problem is .

Cheers Arron

I think it's sorted now, my batteries are 3000ni-mh and they are about 1 year old.

I just plugged a 3s lipo in, not charged because I don't have the charger yet but lipo cut off was set.

It was nuts,lol, backflip on first go, wheelie on half throttle, after feeding the power in a bit more gently this time.

Just need to wait for my charger.

The sand rover was also lifting it's wheels on the 2s lipo, so I think some new batteries were well overdue.

I think it's sorted now, my batteries are 3000ni-mh and they are about 1 year old.

I just plugged a 3s lipo in, not charged because I don't have the charger yet but lipo cut off was set.

It was nuts,lol, backflip on first go, wheelie on half throttle, after feeding the power in a bit more gently this time.

Just need to wait for my charger.

The sand rover was also lifting it's wheels on the 2s lipo, so I think some new batteries were well overdue.

Glad its sorted buddie . I think you'll find 2s more that 'entertaining ' in the Blitzer lol.A good mod is to get a Buggy Champ front bumper and cut it about so it bolts to the skid plate on the underside of the Blitzer gearbox . Cut a lenght of 3mm threaded rod to length so you have two 'studs' either side of the rear most gearbox through hole . then add two ball ends . using a couple of snap on ball connectors add two lenghts of 3mm rod . Drill two holes in the champ bumper where these meet the bumper and pass the rod through . Use a couple of nylock nuts to fix them in place . The bumper now works as a anti flip/ wheelie bar . Works well and its very strong .

Thanks for the instructions. You could also mount a Lunchbox wheelie bar with very little mods to the DT-02 gearbox. This is what helps to keep my brushless Sand Viper on the ground when accelerating hard.

Thanks for the instructions. You could also mount a Lunchbox wheelie bar with very little mods to the DT-02 gearbox. This is what helps to keep my brushless Sand Viper on the ground when accelerating hard.

I tried that Greg but found that under full throttle it still back fliped . Now it just skids on the bumper . As i run on grass, lose dirt and the beach it dont get too scratched up