Sign in to follow this  
netsmithUK

Did Tamiya ever make a happy driver?

I've finished painting a couple of brat and SS drivers and must say they look really miserable blokes considering the type cars they are driving.

Did tamiya ever make a driver who looked like he was actually enjoying himself?

I don't think so. They all kind of have a pained grimace look on their face.

Jim

Maybe they are all thinking "oh my God, whats this kid going to put me through today?" Lets face it i don't think you'd be smiling if there was a 13 year old at the wheel of your car!

logo_member2.gif

2nd Place? You're just the first loser!!

quote:Great subject, I'm laughing my a** off here!!
id="quote">id="quote">

Yeah, you've had a few good ones lately Chris - how about a top ten list like on Letterman? This weeks best topics or something? or old time classics[:)]

quote:Originally posted by wildwillydriver

What about the Wild Will Driver???

He just seems angry.... [:)]WWD [:)]

id="quote">id="quote">

Wild Willy is a good caricature for interesting painting... mine has a green/grey "gringo" complexion and his irises have been drilled out to pin holes with a light inside the head. This one looks demonic!!

All the F1 heads are pretty expressionless though.

Happiest drivers is probably the pair in the 959. They look quite serenely calm & collected.

i hear ya but wouldnt it look silly to have a couple of happy smiley

guys in a car?.i like the pi**ed off look,it just makes the car..

i painted my ww2 drivers eyes red to make him look like hes possesed....it makes me laugh...... sanja.

Yeah, they all look miserable...

Kinda like... well, as if they have a big screw up their bum or have no legs or something...

Hey! Wait a minute! Isn't that the case with most of them?[:D][:D][:D]

I think it would be really cool if you could purchase aftermarket heads with various expressions.

I'd probably go for a scared s**tless guy, holding on for his life!

Or maybe a couple of alien heads in a WRC? It would give a new meaning to "WRC" -WORLDS RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP!!![:D][:D][:D]

Cheers,

Alex

P.S.

How about mixing & matching heads?

Wild Willy driving an F1,

Balmy Baldwin (Avante driver) sitting inside a Lancer EVO...

Just an idea...

You are all wrong! All the drivers are very happy, It's just the intense G-forces are pulling their features out of line!![8D]

quote:

I think it would be really cool if you could purchase aftermarket heads with various expressions.

id="quote">id="quote">

There are lots of dolls (sorry.. Action Figures) that are about the right scale for 1/10 RC. Old GI Joe, Barbie and others. Just cut the heads off and go wild.

I'd love to put Homer Simpson in my Subaru Brat.

Its a Japanese thing. (Read this to yourself in that American voice over that was used in the 1980's tamiya videos of the Hornet and Hotshot, with the cheesy elevator music in the background.)

".......and coil over oil filled shock absorbers, the driver is a reflection of living the disciplined and winning lifestyle that will help annihalate the competition and bring the trophy home to you, At TAHmiya, our driver's do naht smahle but will achieve racetrack perection with the TAHmya line of high quality model kit paints, the ABS resin bathtub chassis is light and strong....

Adventures with the Fun Brothers...

drivers.jpg

Any more captions for this picture? Any more pictures?

[^]

Nice subject, i got this with a bunch of parts from the US,

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=7617&id=403

One of the previous owners had cut a photo of himself up and stuck it on the drivers face, How cool is that??[8D].

And it gives me a great idea [xx(], i think everyone who is going to the spring drive should get an old photo of themself and stick it on there runners.

Then we can say we actualy drove our SS's round Snetterton [:o).

What do you think Chris, everyone??.

Lee.

talking of drivers, noticed there have been a few types of head,

no screws, screws in the top of the head and screws from the back of the head.

Does anyone have a list of which went with which car?

One of my Sand Scorcher drivers seem pretty amused, maybe not happy, but a bit amused or something - maybe it's becase I removed that thick coat of paint he had all over his face? [:)]

happydriver.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Soniq561

[^]

Nice subject, i got this with a bunch of parts from the US,

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=7617&id=403

One of the previous owners have cut a photo of him up and stuck it on the drivers face, How cool is that??[8D].

And it gives me a great idea [xx(], i think everyone who goes to the spring drive should get an old photo and stick it on there runners.

Then we can say we actualy drove our SS's round Snetterton [:o).

What do you think Chris, everyone??.

Lee.

id="quote">id="quote">

I remember reading, I think in the Tamiya RC catalogue, about sticking photo's on the faces of the drivers.

So it was an official method of making your cars more realistic!!...

Well i'm definately going to for the Spring Drive [:o)].

who else is with me HURRRAYYYYYYYYYY.

Ho no one then [:I]

I was reading through this thread and was wondering how you guys paint your figures. I've seen some that really stand out. What's a good technique for masking the helmet and the face of the character?

John

SONIC your link just takes me to homepage[?]

But I'm sure I saw an ss driver here with a big silly grin on his face, not sure if it was modeled or a photoshop thing but none the less funny.

All my drivers look scared REALLY SCARED! but one of my ss drivers looks like a 14 year old choir boy[?]

Have you ever seen a race car driver in real life with a grin on his face while racing? NO! They only smile when they win. These drivers are real racers who are frozen in compete mode. When I am racing my real mini around roundabouts I never smile, I just laugh my a$$ off because you cannot keep up.

quote:When I am racing my real mini around roundabouts I never smile, I just laugh my a$$ off because you cannot keep up.
id="quote">id="quote">

You might have developed a grimace if I'd been on the same roundabout in my Alfa 33 Permanent 4. Basically a track car (4wd) with an MOT certificate. Not as much fun as a proper Cooper though and certainly not as stylish.