Sign in to follow this  
30YrsL8r

Another Sand Scorcher Rebuild Thread

Same story as many SRB enthusiasts; I longed for a Sand Scorcher as a kid but couldn't afford one. 30 years later, I've decided to treat myself. Now I have a (major) restoration project on my hands and tamiyaclub seems like a great place to get the help I am going to need and show off (any) progress. I have posted some of my efforts in my showroom, but I now realise that showrooms aren't really the place to have (what I hope will be) lots of progress that's regularly updated. So, I've decided to start a thread to cover the various stages I go through and keep all my requests for help in one place.

First off, I suppose I should mention how I came by the SS in the first place. My son decided that he wanted a radio controlled car for Christmas, so I started looking at what sort of prices the Tamiya kits were going for. Trying to keep the cost down (he gets bored of things, like many 12 year old boys), I figured I could get a brand new buggy and RC setup to about £100 or so. This was in the ball park that his wider family wanted to pay, so I thought we were set. Problem was, he wanted a road car. By good fortune, his uncle was looking to sell his Tamiya Carrera GT so a deal was done and I stripped it back down.

Anyway, this whole exercise got me browsing the web and it wasn't long before my thoughts turned to the Sand Scorchers I couldn't have when I was his age. I did my research and, with Christmas approaching, agreed with my wife that she would buy me one (though I am pretty sure she thought I was crazy - a 30 year old toy as a Christmas present?). I found a complete setup on ebay, including period Acoms kit, and struck a deal with the seller. I may have paid more than I should have, but I got it for less than I budgeted for. Only now do I realise what a money pit these things are, but that's for another post!

My showroom, which I will try to update along with this thread, is at: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...61&id=37903

So, better start with some before shots. These were the ebay listing - you might recognise them if you spend as much time poring over the bay as I have recently.

post-38458-1324402238_thumb.jpg

post-38458-1324402292_thumb.jpg

post-38458-1324402303_thumb.jpg

When it arrived and I opened the box, I was first struck by the smell of OLD. It smelled so much of OLD that I think it might have been stored for a very long time, and the tyres seem to suggest the same. The car was filthy, and the body support post was pushed straight through the bonnet. Whilst I was pleased with all the bits, the state of the car was a bit of a shock. On the up side, I think everything I got was vintage and this is important to me because this Sand Scorcher is a piece of nostalgia.

post-38458-1324402790_thumb.jpg

post-38458-1324403012_thumb.jpg

Certainly looks old. The front spring retainers are screws, which look like it might be a MK1.

The universal joints look like the hardened steel Super Champ ones based on the color.

Could you get a better shot of this section of the rear arm (marked in red box)? Is there a bearing there or a spot for one?

2.jpg

Certainly looks old. The front spring retainers are screws, which look like it might be a MK1.

The universal joints look like the hardened steel Super Champ ones based on the color.

Could you get a better shot of this section of the rear arm (marked in red box)? Is there a bearing there or a spot for one?

I think that the clues point to a Mk1, but the colour of the UJ's did seem a little off to me. Here's the shot you asked for:

post-38458-1324410342_thumb.jpg

First thing I did when I got it was research stripping the shell of its paint job. I opted for the Caustic Soda approach and the results were pretty good. 8 litres of cold water plus half a kilo of Concentrated Caustic Soda from B&Q.

Photos after 10, 30 and

post-38458-1324410730_thumb.jpg

post-38458-1324410741_thumb.jpg

After some scrubbing, an overnight soak and a rinse, this is how it turned out. Pretty much gone except for some stubborn black paint on the inside of the wheel arches. I had to remove the decals by hand, as they weren't budging in the Caustic Soda.

post-38458-1324410985_thumb.jpg

Along with the knackered front tyres and the Rough Rider rear wheels/tyres, my purchase included a spare pair of Sand Scorcher rears and another pair of front tyres. The spares aren't in great condition, but they are better than what arrived on the car, so I decided that I would try to renovate them and keep the original, vintage Sand Scorcher wheels and tyres for when the car is on show. I have already ordered some modern SS wheels and tyres from the States (I am in no rush, and they were the cheapest I could find) for when the car is being run. Anyway, I purchased some Einszett Gummi Pflege and took the tyres off, hoping that they wouldn't disintegrate as I did so. They seemed ok, and after a wash and application of the rubber restorer they seem serviceable. Here are the before and after shots. The rears look like they have been run through glue, so I need to try to get that off at some point.

post-38458-1324412006_thumb.jpg

post-38458-1324412015_thumb.jpg

Of all the parts that give me cause for concern (and, surprisingly, there aren't that many) the radio box looks like the worst. It is cracked, broken, sports a larger than normal hole for the steering linkage and has glue in places it shouldn't. I would really like to hang on to as many original parts as possible, so I don't think this box is beyond salvaging. I could do with knowing, for sure, what these things are made of so that I can use the right cleaner on the glue and the box in general. I have managed to get the double sided sticky pads off; it's the glue underneath that bothers me.

post-38458-1324412427_thumb.jpg

post-38458-1324412437_thumb.jpg

I dropped the wheels, which had some of the stubborn black paint on them, into brake fluid last week. The before and during shots are below. After 24 hours the paint was lifting off the wheels with no more than gentle agitation of the fluid. After 48 hours I took the wheels out, popped each of them into a glass jar of water and washing up liquid for a quick shake and then into a sink full of water for a going over with a tooth brush. The wheels had a lot more cracks when they came out than I remembered them having when they went in. Also, the centre section of the rears had separated into two pieces - one on its own and one with a little encouragement. I'm not sure if they were a. moulded that way and the fluid had melted the glue, b. damaged during use and gave up the ghost in the fluid or c. the victims of an inappropriate choice of cleaner on my part. I think all of the cracks can be repaired with the appropriate glue though, as these wheels are going to be for show (they are original/vintage), so won't experience a lot of stress. At least all the black paint is off now!

before.JPG

during.JPG

post-38458-1324674523_thumb.jpg

post-38458-1324674535_thumb.jpg

Looks like it's got a new life coming!! I had one 30 years ago, got it in a trade somehow, can't remember what for tho. I do still have the Acoms reciever, but that's all :( I've been searching for one myself and I'll find one sooner or later.

That looking really good, the Caustic Soda is a good idea, is better for the body's than break fluid? I've just finished rebuilding my old one, but I just went with a new body, but I don't like to use it now as it looks too nice! would be good to clean the old battered body up & use it as a basher.

My battery box was much the same as yours so I made this to hold normal battery's:

post-38595-1325335442_thumb.jpg

I've nicked the ESC for my Blackfoot for the moment.

I just ran with the gear in bags, but the sand still gets every where, so a full cover would be better really.

That looking really good, the Caustic Soda is a good idea, is better for the body's than break fluid? I've just finished rebuilding my old one, but I just went with a new body, but I don't like to use it now as it looks too nice! would be good to clean the old battered body up & use it as a basher.

My battery box was much the same as yours so I made this to hold normal battery's:

post-38595-1325335442_thumb.jpg

I've nicked the ESC for my Blackfoot for the moment.

I just ran with the gear in bags, but the sand still gets every where, so a full cover would be better really.

Andy for as basher just buy a cheap lexan body mate . Far more durable . Have a look at Black Smith Porducts . They do a bettle shell that fits ok . Also kamtec and others . IMO Scorcher shells and champ / rough rider just are'nt up to use on runners .

Andy for as basher just buy a cheap lexan body mate . Far more durable . Have a look at Black Smith Porducts . They do a bettle shell that fits ok . Also kamtec and others . IMO Scorcher shells and champ / rough rider just are'nt up to use on runners .

If you can run exclusively on sand or grass areas then the hard shells are OK, but for anything else a lexan shell is just so much more durable and a lot easier. By the time you put 20+ hours into painting a hard shell the last thing you need is a big crack or scuffed paint after a few runs.

If you can run exclusively on sand or grass areas then the hard shells are OK, but for anything else a lexan shell is just so much more durable and a lot easier. By the time you put 20+ hours into painting a hard shell the last thing you need is a big crack or scuffed paint after a few runs.

That's a much better idea, I put a silly amount of time in to the body then managed to find something hard in the grass to scratch it :)

I found the Black Smith ones - Thanks :)

That's a much better idea, I put a silly amount of time in to the body then managed to find something hard in the grass to scratch it :o

I found the Black Smith ones - Thanks :)

Do you have a link for that Black Smith body shell? Thanks OSR

I had a feeling they did a plain blue one, so i went back through the 'postman' thread, post # 1202 at the top of page 48..

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...344&st=1200

..confirmed i wasn't imagining things !

and some pics of it fitted to a Blitzer Beetle chassis in this thread..

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...c=64185&hl=

I had a feeling they did a plain blue one, so i went back through the 'postman' thread, post # 1202 at the top of page 48..

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...344&st=1200

..confirmed i wasn't imagining things !

and some pics of it fitted to a Blitzer Beetle chassis in this thread..

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...c=64185&hl=

Hey thanks for the links man!

OSR

Now would that just happen to be my Red Bull Blitzer ???????? lol

No worries, glad to help.

I bought the Kamtec lexan shell - version 033 which seems to be only on their ebay shop, not their main website. Its quite a good shell although a Tamiya hard shell body will just fit inside it, so its marginally bigger all round (probably because they used a hard shell as the basis of the mould)

eBay item number: 190622310226 although mine seems to have a split oval rear window !