IBIFTKH

Willys Wheeler project

So I bought this from a fellow TC'er a while ago.

Pa190006

Pa190007

I was pleased with it, both chassis and body were in very good condition. The body had a couple of minor scuffs but really nothing to complain about. But, being me, I couldn't just run it or shelf it without doing something...

The decals were lifting and/or scuffed in a few places so I stripped the shell, cleaned up the scuffs and repainted it. I also filled in the body post holes (I hate body posts!!). The WR02 has a slightly longer wheelbase than the original Wheeler so I carefully trimmed the front of the front wheel arches and the trailing edges of the rears.

Willy looked a bit isolated just kinda propped inside the body so thoughts turned to an interior. I've only built one interior before and sort of forgot how much work is involved!! There were a few basic problems to solve. The WR02 is quite high at the rear, actually above the bottom of the rear windows. So I had to accomodate/disguise this as I wanted the body to fit quite low on the chassis without a huge gap between tyre and wheel arch - hence the hump where the Nos bottles sit. The seat is a phone holder cut to fit.

PC110019

Pc210031

I also wanted lights, preferably lots! I used a 3Racing set so it's got headlights, tail/brake, reverse and indicators all round. I'm using a LRP 2.4GHz set as the 3Racing unit wouldn't work with my FS GT2. The lights are all attached to the underside of the interior.

PB290038

PC110021

I've glued a couple of strips of styrene inside the shell so the interior clips into place

Pc210030

Lights on :)

Pc210038

Pc210039

The hardest part has been trying to get the stance of the car right, but I think it's getting somewhere near. I removed the join on top of the battery compartment and made a front support for the body.

Pc210033

Pc210035

So now it sits like this (exhaust is from a Tundra, wipers are an Ansmann detail kit)

Pc210037

Pc210036

The latest job has been to make some grills for the front of the shell. They're steel mesh so they could be bent into shape.

Pc210026b

And in place

Pc210030b

There's still lots to do but it's getting there. I'm umming and ahhing about the paint, must admit I quite like the plain look.

Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed this, any comments are appreciated.

cheers,

Rob

This is so awesome! Love the detail, and since it's a hardbody kit, you can really get more details on it!

Exhaust is cool, although shouldn't it come out of the center of the rear valance?

Grills are superb, where did you get them?

I'm liking the clean look, I think you should invest in 4 cans of TS clear and polish!

Cheers,

Skottoman

speechless, got the shell and the wheels but i am still hunting for a wr02 chassis, your wheeler is a dream.

A++

Thanks guys :-)

Skottoman, the exhaust would look better in the centre but the wheelie bar is in the way. I have another Tundra exhaust so I could fit one either side of the wheelie bar. Excessive? The grills are made from a small sheet of fine steel mesh, cost me a couple of pounds at a DIY/hardware store (and a couple of hours trimming, shaping and painting them!).

Waterbok, it sounds like you've got the hard-to-get bits. Judging from the reaction to the new VW Type 2 kit, there may be a few spare chassis available soon with people buying the kit just for the body.

yummy .. love the wheels .

you can get these wheels for about 25€ (and get a free car with it :rolleyes: )

Waterbok, it sounds like you've got the hard-to-get bits. Judging from the reaction to the new VW Type 2 kit, there may be a few spare chassis available soon with people buying the kit just for the body.

Yeah, was lucky, got an original Wheeler (driver missing, no bumper/roofspoiler) and the re release shell both for a decent price.

What i am hoping for is that the WR02 chassis should become plentifull and cheap :lol:, have been thinking of doing a 4WD wheeler and cutup a TA02 chassis

Don't think the people will sell their driver though :rolleyes: , will be ordering lots of these as soon as the spareparts hit the market

Well, this is a s-l-o-w project but there is progress to report ;-)

I've changed the exhaust, or rather added another for a symmetrical look. Ok, quad exhausts four a turbo-charged four pot is overkill, but who cares?  The exhausts are fixed to styrene brackets on the body. You can also see the rear number plate.

P1090030

I also realised that any 'rice racer' needs a front splitter. It's very simple, just styrene cut to shape and glued on. The 'supports' are cut from paperclips! Also added the front number plate.

P1080028

I like the 'clean' look but thought a few decals were in order. I had part of a sheet from a Kure GTR and they seem relatively subtle. I'm quite pleased with the result.

P1090029

So here's how it stands at the moment. I'm dithering over whether to refit and paint the screws that hold the glazing, or fill the holes and respray the roof. My lazy side says fit the screws but my perfectionist side has other ideas! And the more I look at the wheels, the less I like them. I think the chrome has to come off, I'm thinking spray them aluminium or gunmetal, what do you reckon?

P1080031

As always, comments and ideas are most welcome.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob,

that is SOOO sweet!

Thunder Blitz with Gunmetal rims:

004.jpg

Ohh, I forgot; I have a white body, so you can compare more directly:

0042.jpg

Thanks gents. Mike_o, thanks for the pics - the wheels are de-chroming now. The gunmetal looks a little dark, I think I'd like silver or aluminium.

So I de-chromed the wheels, then I completely changed my mind about wheel colour and went for white. Added a couple of decals for flavour and here's how she stands right now...

DSCF1365

DSCF1366

DSCF1367

DSCF1368

DSCF1371

I think the white wheels suit the car, what do you think?

cheers,

Rob

• Like 2

Stunning !!!

the White wheels set it off a treat

well done mate :)

That looks mint,stance & subtle mods but every import needs wind deflectors around the side windows.That would finish it right off!

Oh wow this thing is really getting better all the time! You made the wheels 9000% better by painting them white and adding the decals. Looks awesome.

The front splitter is way cool as well as the 4 exhaust pipes.

Your wiring is so clean. This is a really great custom build!

You should think about doing the body panel lines in grey...

Cheers,

Skottoman

Your wiring is so clean. This is a really great custom build!

Cheers,

Skottoman

Real nice, and i agree about the wiring it can become a real eye sore. I'm in the middle of doing the interior of my SS and it seems hiding the LED wiring has taken some time.

looks great! :)

Thanks for all the great comments gents, glad you like the wheels (and car!!) :)

I'm thinking about painting the panel lines. I've never tried it before so I'm a bit nervous of messing it up, need to find something to practise on!

Thanks for the suggestions about wind deflectors and roof spoiler, but I want to keep a fairly clean look and I've already filled the screw holes for the roof spoiler.

Now you need a inner roll bar cage

Hmmm, I've just ordered some plastic tube... :huh:

cheers,

Rob

Not much to report, just been experimenting with painting panel lines. The camera flash washes it out a bit but hopefully the photos are clear enough. The idea was for some subtle shading (hopefully) so I used a light grey.

DSCF1387

DSCF1388

I used my Tundra as a guinea pig, it gets run and bashed and scratched so I wouldn't have been too upset if I'd spoiled the paint.

DSCF1390

Comments and ideas welcome, as always

cheers,

Rob

I've spent the last week playing with bits of plastic tube :blink:

P1290065

P1290068

P1290070

It's taken a few attempts but I'm quite pleased with this version. And finally it feels like the car is coming together...

cheers,

Rob

• Like 1