MAD RACER

My NIB KILLER. FOX Knock Off

Hi Guys.

Well i got my Killer today thanks to Luke on this Forum and my lovely partner as this is my x mass present.

It;s NOT a Tamiya so i don't see the need not to enjoy building this and lightly run with other fox's . If it breaks i have heaps of Fox spares anyway.

First are some pics of the Box and contents. I have built a new Fox before so i can see some differences.

There is No driver figure . It does show it in the instructions.

Instructions are the same as Tamiya too.

Most notable difference is the the rear alloy cage, Wing, Front & Rear sway bars, Alloy shock tower, Wheels, Bumper & Motor Guard, Decals,

Any Questions please ask.

KGrHqZHJBME63Uw4Y8SBO4Qb381rw60_12.jpg

IMG_1464-1.jpg

IMG_1465-1.jpg

Cool, we don't see enough KIRF builds here.

It would be cool if you can post some pictures of parts with Fox parts next to them for comparison while you build.

Cool, we don't see enough KIRF builds here.

It would be cool if you can post some pictures of parts with Fox parts next to them for comparison while you build.

I agree. If you could do this it would be cool for us to see.

OSR

Hi Mark

This buggy looks like it will be a rare beauty. Looking foward to seeing it being built. Is the Killer the buggy that killed off the potential re release of the Tamiya Fox?

Happy New Year to you and all those on Tamiya club around the world.

Buggy Boy

I was going to buy that same car from that same guy when he had it available but bought a NIB Fox for less than he wanted to part with that.

All parts should be direct replacements for any Fox, just no TAMIYA stamped on the parts.

That should be a cool car to have on the track, or are you going to keep it as a shelf queen?

Cheers

Thanks Guys.

This will be built and run.

Price wise it was way cheaper than a NIB Fox ...

I will post pics during the build and will highlight the differences as much as i can. From what i can tell there are more than i thought.

Pics coming soon.

Well i had a few days off over X mass so i started to go over this rare kit.

No markings/Stamping at all on any parts. Chassis is also stamp free. Only give away is a tiny Made In Taiwan on the Box Divider.

P1010386.jpg

Top Chassis cover is a slight brown color .Not all black like the Fox.

PC300322.jpg

Main Chassis is black but no hump to take the hump packs back in the days

PC300323.jpg

Wheels are nylon but and tires are very soft compared to Tamiya's at the time. One of the rear tires have the direction arrow point the same way on both side walls but only one rear is like that.

PC300317.jpg

The instructions look like a direct copy of Tamiya's but are loose pages stapled together .

PC300332.jpg

PC300333.jpg

Let the building commence.!!!!!!!!!!

This car seems looks better than the original Fox...

Max

Hmmm, can't say it looks better, and as it is a copy it was bound to have parts that weren't perfect fit. Wheels look better, but thats about it, give me a Fox anyday. Good to see it came together in the end though.

very interesting

so what was the cost advantage over a genuine kit

it would need to be very cheap to be viable I think

I think Mad Racer will agree on this, but the plastic is not the quality of Tamiya plastic at all... The shocks are nearly transparent lol. You can see the green shock oil in the one on the front of my Boomerwig. The rest feels glassy. But, I do like the extra bits.

Happy New Year everyone!

I luckily have one of these and have gathered some information about it:

Obviously the Killer is a copy of the Fox. Lots of parts are identical and interchangeable. It seems like they have used the same mould, but the Tamiya logos on the chassis and gearbox are gone. It has some improvements like a strong metal rear roll cage. It has also front and rear sway bars. The body is cut behind the rear window and the wing is little bit different, so are the wheels and bumpers.

There is no manufacturer on the box as it's intended to be rebranded by whichever company buys it from the manufacturer, with the distributor sticking their own name on the box. In the UK it was branded by Maplins.

The Killer was probably manufactured in Taiwan.

Here is link to my showroom entry of it: http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?i...=01012012155957

And also the earlier discussion thread: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53926

It is quite interesting to see photos of the building process so keep up the good work :o

Fritjofarnold

MAD RACER,

Thanks for the info so far. I like the detail that you are sharing in YOUR thread! Keep the information coming! I do have one question I wanted to know what the back of the rear wheels looked like? DO they still have the four small mounting posts for the hub? Keep us updated with the pics and telling us about how it is similar and different to the Fox!!

Thanks OSR

Ok

The 3 step speed controller looks similar . I think a different colour. The BEC is included and is pre wired to the MSC.

I am pretty sure you had to buy the BEC circuit on top of the fox kit. So that's one more plus for the Killer at this stage.

PC300337.jpg

PC300341.jpg

Different Box wrench but is nylon and includes oil & grease.

PC300340.jpg

Rubber flashing is present as not as neat as Tamiya but is very soft even after all these yrs.

PC300345.jpg

Motor is a Mabuchi 540. The wires have a braid coating not silicone like Tamiya

PC300334.jpg

Alloy Roll Cage and rear/motor bumper. With well made Rear sway bar that looks like it will work. The Front sway bar is thinner and mounted way lower than the Tamiya Fox. Looks really good quality though. Wing wire bolts to the Alloy suspension tower.

PC300338.jpg

The Killer has a alloy shock tower not GRP ( Fiberglass) like the Tamiya one .

PC300321.jpg

Very cool! Great pics. Looking forward to seeing pics of the build process. These knock-off Tamiya kits are very interesting.

The wing on the Killer looks like a copy of the Super Shot wing.

I have most of the major plastic parts and the instruction manual from the knock-off Super Shot, and can definitely say the quality of the plastic and the moulding are not up to Tamiya quality. It looks as though moulds for producing the copies were reverse engineered from the original parts, with a resulting degradation in the tolerances and 'sharpness' of the parts.

- James

Ok

The 3 step speed controller looks similar . I think a different colour. The BEC is included and is pre wired to the MSC.

I am pretty sure you had to buy the BEC circuit on top of the fox kit. So that's one more plus for the Killer at this stage.

PC300337.jpg

PC300341.jpg

Different Box wrench but is nylon and includes oil & grease.

PC300340.jpg

Rubber flashing is present as not as neat as Tamiya but is very soft even after all these yrs.

PC300345.jpg

Motor is a Mabuchi 540. The wires have a braid coating not silicone like Tamiya

PC300334.jpg

Alloy Roll Cage and rear/motor bumper. With well made Rear sway bar that looks like it will work. The Front sway bar is thinner and mounted way lower than the Tamiya Fox. Looks really good quality though. Wing wire bolts to the Alloy suspension tower.

PC300338.jpg

The Killer has a alloy shock tower not GRP ( Fiberglass) like the Tamiya one .

PC300321.jpg

The wires remind me of a 6 volt car wiring harness! Braided! hmmm? Interesting to the alloy parts. It is almost like the manufacturer knew the areas of weakness with the Tamiya model and wanted to improve upon them. But in the same breath cheaped out on a couple things.

OSR

OSR

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the nice comments.

Hunter Zero I'm just as curious about the knock off on the Super Shot. Really didn't know about that till a few yrs ago. Would love to know more about it. The closest i saw of a knock off was the Royal Ripper.

OSR.

Yes the drive adapter is the same as the Fox. Sorry for the delayed response.

Ok more pics now.

The first step is the Steering servo assembly . Nothing different here to Tamiya. I did not get all the ball joints though. I was one short but oddly i got 2 allen keys bag with the motor gear mesh spacer. I think contents are weighed and added the wrong item in the factory. I had a spare ball joint so i got on with it.

PC300348.jpg

PC300353.jpg

Steering servo installed in the chassis. No problems.

PC300355.jpg

PC300322.jpg

Bottom battery gate is screwed in. Not a swing open one like the Fox. I say due to only accepting flat pack 7.2v ( Racing pack in the days) Tamiya Fox has the option to run hump packs. The swing gate was need as you couldn't slide a hump pack out. Front Bumper is different . Looks like more of a Kyosho Optima bumper.

PC300359.jpg

2 pinions supplied but one is brass

PC300350.jpg

More to come.!!!!

The Front sway bar fitted up. Is very tight fit with the links under in between the 2 arms. Sway bar is mounted way lower compared to Tamiya's way.

PC300361.jpg

Onto the Rear Gear Box and Diff.

The Rear arms are molded exactly the same as Tamiya Fox arms. The Webbing is the same . The only difference is the Killers are a little more flexiable . May be better as they flex and not break. Killer's on the right and the Tamiya arms on the left

P1010372.jpg

P1010373.jpg

Diff Gears went in with no problems. No difference here that i can tell.,

P1010371-1.jpg

The 3 shocks together . NOT as good as Tamiya's. They are so thin in the side you can see the oil in them as BMT said early on. For running i will be replacing these with Tamiya's.

PC300365.jpg

The Rear end all together with the alloy rear motor guard. Very nice i think.

P1010379.jpg

Front end finished!!!

P1010391-1.jpg

Rear aloy cage all bolted up.

P1010390-1.jpg

Finished with shell cut out ready to paint box art. Wing Wire bolted up . Have ordered a set of proper wing buttons. Don't want to use the supplied speed nuts.

P1010387-1.jpg

You did a really nice job! Thanks for invloving us in the build! It was really good to see one of these come together because I would never have the opportunity to build one of these at this point. Congrats on the fact too that it is sold

OSR