Sign in to follow this  
ideal2k

Ideal's product-tests thread

This is the thread where I report back on any product I buy. I hate buying duds, so now I thought I can share my experiences with whatever product I buy and then you others will know if they were any good or not.

I'll start out today with a couple, and then update randomly as I go along.

Product: Turnigy long shaft hex driver set (4pcs)

Price: $6.95

Description: Hex drivers with a long shaft.

Verdict: At $6.95 these are an absolute steal. Previously I had a "Dynamite" set which was horrendous even though they cost $40. These Turnigy ones are accurate size (the hexes!), so you don't round the heads on the hex screws due to the hexes being too small, which can be a problem on some toolsets.

The quality is absolutely superior. Good to hold. Great product.

Product: Turnigy Knife edge reamer 0.5-10mm

Price: $4.19

Description: body reamer

Verdict: I've had a number of these reamers, some don't even have a decent cover for the sharp end, and they are all usually rather pricey. This one comes with a screw on cover, also in aluminum, like the handle. There is plenty of thread on the cover, so it will not come unscrewed by accident. As the reamer is sized for smaller holes, it is not "miles and miles long" in the sharp end, which is great, makes it more handy. Good product.

Product: Turnigy socket driver set

Price: $4.61

Description: Set of four nut drivers

Verdict: these are well made, but unfortunately rather silly. Why? The handles are significantly smaller than the hex driver set, the handles are so thin that you can't really get any torque on them. The handles are also rather short. Look good, but don't buy them if you can find a different set with bigger handles.

Product: Hobbyking digital vernier calipers 150mm

Price: $13.26

Description: sliding calipers with digital display, for accurate measurements

Verdict: These are great! The price is even better! Switch on automatically once you start using them, then switches off automatically when not in use. Comes with a little plastic case to keep it in.

Well today I got a real dud.

Product: Weller 40 watt soldering iron

Price: roughly €30 euros

Description: soldering iron

Verdict:

Complete dud. Usually I've had Antex and other brands, but here in Spain I could only find this thing. Weller are a reputed company so I didn't think I could go much wrong.

I've always thought to myself "how can people make such a mess of soldering, it's so easy", well here is the reason: they probably bought a Weller soldering iron.

I'm not exactly sure what's wrong with it. Either it's not getting warm enough, or the tip is completely wrong for heat transfer. It's one of the two.

I spent about an hour soldering five wires onto the speed control, I'm not kidding, and the solder points look like feces.

So my verdict is, Weller is a complete waste of money. If you want to solder, buy an Antex (Those are the triangular yellow ones).

I'm not exactly sure what's wrong with it.

How does that make the soldering iron a dud? Perhaps you bought the wrong tool for the job :)

i've been soldering for 20 years. I know what I'm doing, thank you.

You should contact Weller then, tell them they don't know what they're doing :)

Our assemblers (I work for a PCB populator) use predominantly Weller stations, they seem fine and the one I've been using for the last ten years is ok too

If you haven't tried this particular product, why comment?

I'd report you to the moderator, but it seems that's you. How unfortunate.

You're right, this is your review section, you write what you like, it's just that "I'm not exactly sure what's wrong with it. Either it's not getting warm enough, or the tip is completely wrong for heat transfer. It's one of the two." isn't exactly conclusive.

If the tip is wrong for the heat transfer you need, then you bought the wrong tool for the job - My station has interchangeable tips - the PCB tip won't solder motor wires to ESC terminals and the large tips are too big for intricate componentry work.

I've never found a £25 iron that will do ESC/motor wires, but they'll all do receiver aerial wires :)

Bang for the buck, especially in odd areas try this one. I'm an electronics tech and use an iron almost daily.

Radio Shack brand Mini Butane Gas-Powered Iron Model: 64-2188

Well that's it. I'm cancelling my tamiyaclub subscription and will no longer partake on these discussions.

With ignorants like these for moderators, I have no business here.

guys cool it please . Personally i find product reviews helpful . The opinion is that of the reviewer . IF a product is not up to his expections than he gives his view . If the product was not suitable for the job in the first place - we're all adults and can draw our own conclusions . No need to fall out over it . MAYBE it was dodgy spanish wiring ?????????? :)

Reviews are all well and good if they are fair and accurate.. and yes it is handy to have reviews but if the item is tested unfairly it will fail. I would like to see a link to the weller iron reviewed to see what weller say for it.

I have an 80w Weller iron and its outstanding, I solder battery packs together with it, motor wires are no trouble.. it has a large replaceable tip that holds the heat well, if that 40w iron only has a small tip it will fail at motor wires.

I read reviews all the time and have used weller irons quite a bit. However, even my trusty standard mini butane is 30-70 watt. I've resoldered the electrical tab on a rear window defrost while laying on my back with it. Locally it's 22 dollars. It's shortcoming is that it does eventually leak or the tip melts from too much heat too often and parts are mail order only but at 22 bucks it's about as good as I've found. Alas opinions can get heated tho, it's too bad that iron didn't.

Well that's it. I'm cancelling my tamiyaclub subscription and will no longer partake on these discussions.

Well, this went a dark place.

Keep calm mate, its the internet which means the only opinion that really matters is yours :)

I've noticed a few tender hearts in here. Some of the 1:1 car forums take very few prisoners (scoobynet, MLR, pistonheads)

Anyway, on topic my single best tool purchase happens to be a soldering iron

A second hand Metcal SP200. It was 80 pounds from ebay and completely changed my soldering. No longer pigeon poo type blobs of metal on dry joints. For soldering the wiring for my railway it has been a godsend.

Cheap soldering irons can make the whole exercise such a chore. Solder makes a big difference too. Some are better than others - Im sure theres a reasons mind you.