Sign in to follow this  
DBL-06

Vintage Hornet-Where and what do I use to lube?

Hello Members,

New and excited about being part of community. In short, I have my Vintage Hornet up and running; PLEASE advise what all I need to oil and lube up after so many years of sitting? What do I use and where do I do it? How much application?

Much appreciated!

I don't remember Tamiya being very clear on what oil to use for the gearbox (via the oil cap you can loosen with a screwdriver). I would imagine a very light spray of WD-40 would be fine.. It seems that they simply made the oil cap for convenience, so you would not have to disassemble the gearbox very often to re-grease it.

In the long run, it would be better to partially disassemble the car and re-grease everything per the original build instructions. If the car still has plastic bushings where bearings should be (in the gearbox and front wheels), then you are better off installing a decent set of bearings as well to eliminate long term wear and to reduce overall friction to the moving parts.

Hope this helps.

I don't remember Tamiya being very clear on what oil to use for the gearbox (via the oil cap you can loosen with a screwdriver). I would imagine a very light spray of WD-40 would be fine.. It seems that they simply made the oil cap for convenience, so you would not have to disassemble the gearbox very often to re-grease it.

In the long run, it would be better to partially disassemble the car and re-grease everything per the original build instructions. If the car still has plastic bushings where bearings should be (in the gearbox and front wheels), then you are better off installing a decent set of bearings as well to eliminate long term wear and to reduce overall friction to the moving parts.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, I'll most likely take the recommendation of taking apart the gearbox for the long haul. Do it right. Thanks again.