Sign in to follow this  
ryanb741

Wierd Tamiya Buggy - Rookie Rabbit

My wife picked this up in Thailand. It has a fighter buggy-like shell but the artwork is pink and white and the wheels are black. Also, when you remove the shell the electrics and mechanics are protected by a plastic covering. Now I've never seen this car before (wish my **** digital camera would work so I could post it up here).

Anyone have any idea what it is? It is definitely a Tamiya though.

The Rookie Rabbit was Tamiya's first attempt to get into the RTR (Ready To Run) niche in the early nineties. Of course somebody may consider the QD cars to be the first Tamiya RTR's, but unlike the Rookie Rabbit, none of the QD's were "built kits".

The model was later "recycled" as the Fighter Buggy with different decals and other small details, and the Fighter Buggy didn't get the smokecoloured cover for some peculiar reason.

The Rookie Rabbit was offered for a short time and in a few countries only, and was probably not a financial success for Tamiya. A nice collector's item today, and I wouldn't drive it, if I was you. You can get a complete Fighter Buggy for very little money......

Rookie Rabbit is #57501, and is unique because its the ONLY ONE in that 575xx category. [8D]

Closest are the BoyRacers at 5760x, and the XBs at 5770x.

signed, Willy

(keeper of inane trivia)

[:I]

I never knew that about th Fighter Buggy!!! [:o] I thought the Rookie Rabbit came AFTER the FB, like the Mad Fighter... I learn every day! [:D]

Sjoerd

(proud owner of the Fighter Buggy)

Thanks for the info. She bought it brand new in Bangkok - if it is rare I will have to take good care of it! (Looks wierd though)

I'm sure the Rookie Rabbit isn't the only weird looking thing in Bangkok, especially in the red light districts. [;)]