Toykid

New Scale bodies for Tamiya kits

I should be ready for paint soon, so the question is, Red or Green?

img50_05052013204953_8.jpg

img50_05052013204953_9.jpg

Purple lame for that true 70s psychadelic look !

red candy, chrome hoop..

BeetleBuggy04.JPG

mossy green..

BeetleBuggy13.JPG

copper/orange pearl is pretty good too, maybe too wild for Willy :lol:..

Candy Apple Red, Metal Flake, every time :). The one to the left Percymons top pic nails it.

Just an observation, the line from the outer front wing top side, it swoops down along side panel to meet rear seat surround. Is that right? If you look at Percymons top pic, it starts as hard edge at the front wing then softens and swoops upto rear wing (not quite as hard) outer edge.

Sand Rover does the same, although not quite as Manx does.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/pictureframe.asp?t=n&id=img911_16102011144839_3.jpg

Just an observation, but on the whole looking mighty fine. B)

I would like a 1:8 ansd 1:10 scale Meyers Manx Body without Damper recesses or with ugly shape such as the Parma ones from Lexan for the slash.

Just like that:

146.3f54b4d7563e0f2d391f7906063f3fdf.jpg

Thanks Scorchio,

There are so many versions of beach buggies out there that it took a long time to find the reference I liked best. Kokuzu was a big help in posting this pic of an original Manx. Here you can see how the line from the front runs out to the back. Bruce Meyer actually made a couple of different versions of his Manx himself, which made it very hard to find correct reference of an original and not a copy.

So I tried to capture the essence of the original where I could. Some of my edges are much sharper that Bruce's original design. Those edges will be softened more when I sand down my actual plastic parts.

James.

• Like 1

Fair play James, I'd not seen that shape before so all is good and looks like you've nailed it, and understand the 'so many versions' thing too. My 3ds Sand Rover model has not been opened up for over a year now, so I've really lost momentum on it.

Hmmmmm nice colour that one Kokuzu posted up!

How about going for purple with lame flake ??? Very 70's . Its something i'am considering doing on my own SWB cox Dune Buggy SRB mash up work is progress once I figure out how to mount the battery .

So if you have been checking my showroom out you will have seen this already:

img50_28072013191108_1.jpg

It is still a work in progress with a few tweaks and the text is just a cut and paste comp at this point. The artwork was created by a good friend of mine Patrick Hanenberger, another member of the team helping me bring this project to life. I was going to go with a plain street look Beach Buggy, but Patrick convinced me it had to have "stickers" so we created this scheme inspired by a coupe of different Bruce Meyer Manx's. The first from his original Manx that won the first Baja, the second from his latest Manx re-release the kick-out (everyone's at it :) )

I am currently doing build tests of the parts through Shapeways.com and as soon as those parts are finalized I will be able to announce a release date & pricing for any that are interested.

For those that have asked about final price, I have not been able to confirm as it is very dependent of the final way I release this model and the material I settle on. It has been quite a fun project just going over all the different manuafacturing and business models to bring this project to life.

As this project was planned as a model for myself that I could easily copy and sell to other members, if you want a complete box kit the numbers will be limited, but if you want to order it direct from Shapeways you can just get the parts without the box at a cheaper price.

James.

OK, Box art tease is over, here are the almost final build pics. I am in paint right now so stay tuned.

img50_06072013030329_1.jpg

Here you can see Mk1 next Mk2 and all the little things that changed, for those that like to play spot the difference :)

img50_06072013030329_2.jpg

img50_06072013030329_3.jpg

img50_06072013030329_4.jpg

img50_06072013030329_5.jpg

img50_06072013030329_6.jpg

img50_06072013030329_7.jpg

img50_06072013030329_8.jpg

img50_06072013030329_9.jpg

img50_06072013030329_10.jpg

Here she is with the body on and a stand in driver figure as I am still converting Daniels amazing sculpt into 3D.

img50_07072013231921_1.jpg

img50_07072013231921_2.jpg

img50_07072013231921_3.jpg

img50_07072013231921_4.jpg

img50_07072013231921_5.jpg

img50_07072013231921_6.jpg

img50_07072013231921_7.jpg

That chassis will be Alu' as soon as I can get to it :)

img50_07072013231921_8.jpg

• Like 5

This makes the Cox / SRB mash up I'am working on look like a turd . Excellent work . God I sooooooooo want one of these now .BTW Toykid Gmade make some alloy spotlights that are perfect for the headlights on these .

Thanks guys,

Bromvw, that's for the suggestion on the lights. I picked up a set last week :) they are very cool and shiny.

James.

Yes, it wouldn't be a true Tamiya if it didn't have a part that was prone to snap off in a roll over e.g. Rough rider lights, sand scorcher tail pipe :)

In all seriousness, that's what I am testing now. Durability and finish. The screen frame you see there is an earlier version.

James.

That looks great James. Can't wait to see the finished product

OK, Box art tease is over, here are the almost final build pics. I am in paint right now so stay tuned.

[...]

img50_07072013231921_4.jpg

Man, your work is AMAZING!! That buggy looks beautiful!

Red with yellow top.

Max

Yeah, that one looks GOOD! I also love all of the Bud & Terence movies, they're like heroes to me! :D

Ahahahahah!!! Italian movies recited in an improbable English.

Like mine! Ahahahah!!!

Max

Man, your work is AMAZING!! That buggy looks beautiful!

Yeah, that one looks GOOD! I also love all of the Bud & Terence movies, they're like heroes to me! :D

Yes, it wouldn't be a true Tamiya if it didn't have a part that was prone to snap off in a roll over e.g. Rough rider lights, sand scorcher tail pipe :)

In all seriousness, that's what I am testing now. Durability and finish. The screen frame you see there is an earlier version.

James.

Have a look at how Cox did the screen frame on their Dune Buggy . Its a aluminium u channel . Don't know how they did the bends without deforming the section though . The screen just sits in the channel . Its strong and looks ok once given a buff & polish .