Toykid

New Scale bodies for Tamiya kits

Very nice! If you're going to start producing those engines I'd be interested and I'm sure a lot of people would be too. Any idea how much they would cost?

Redzone,

thanks, i am glad it meets your approval :D next job is to add the air filters and exhaust system.

james.

mr crispy,

Thanks. I intend to have this engine as part of my SRB Manx kit. i wont have prices or details until it is complete and depending on cost to produce i might consider selling as a separate part.

for now i am just enjoying the build.

A quick update on the engine. Exhaust created and filters fitted.

img50_19022013031929_3.jpg

I am going to have a special sneek peak on the driver real soon ;)

<p>How the engine looks in the car. I still need to fix those rear arches and get the interior done.

img50_19022013031929_4.jpg

img50_19022013031929_5.jpg

Reference images thanks to Kokuzu - that is his car, cool or what.

img50_19022013031929_6.jpg

img50_19022013031929_7.jpg

It has been a couple of weeks so I wanted to show some progress on the model.

After some great feedback from everyone on TC, I decided to go realistic but still retain a little racing spirit. Thanks to James aka Beetlelover for one of his super cool Albert heads. This mock up shows you what I am going for.

The Harness is the same as I have used on my Baja Bronco in my showroom. They have photo etched metal parts and once you see these in person you will never want anything else in your scale builds - Thanks to Matthias aka Kokuzu for putting me onto those and he has also been helping get the details of the body perfected.

This is really just a teaser for the custom sculpt I have coming next week. I hope you will all be as excited as I am to see it.

img50_02032013060046_2.jpg

img50_02032013060046_1.jpg

Seriously great work there Toykid.

To go back to the original thread for a minute, I am busting to start making some of my own bodies and am currently (slowly) learning Inventor to later make some Shapeway bodies as moulds.

There is a major lack of Jap muscle car bodies especially early Mazda Rotaries! Tamiya do a few RX7s (meh) and ABC do a fairly nice rx3 (Two door only) Meh.

Where are the R100's Rx2's Rx3's Rx4's Toyota KE Corollas, more Datsuns etc etc

I'm envisioning high quality Polycarb with ABS Grilles, bumpers tail lights etc. as scale as possible.

A few pics

Mazda R100

MazdaR100152_zpse6c1f6d3.jpg

IMG_8879_zps742eb4c7.jpg

MazdaR10050_zps127ae4f1.jpg

Rx2

rx2o_zpsced45bf4.jpg

Rx3

DA20LAWcopy_zps1e8f5e09.jpg

DA20LAW2028129_zpsbaf0cfd0.jpg

Loving the Manx btw. top stuff

• Like 1

Wild willy speed shop,

Classics and some fantastic photos. It should be very viable for you to get that going if you are making PC bodies and smaller plastic parts. Shape ways is great for the smaller stuff. But be carefully as for bigger stuff it will get expensive. You might be looking at $2-3,000 USD to create a mould for a 1:10 car. It might be better/cheaper to CNC your mould on a 5-axis mill in aluminum. Either way once you have your CAD model you can talk to a few manufactures to find the best process for your budget.

I have never used inventor though, good luck with it. I use Rhino for Mac as it is free and can create pretty much any form you need.

Finding a good company that can make the vac form body will be key, try local packaging companies. They usually have equipment to produce the plastic blisters you find in many consumer products. They will either have, or work with someone who has, the machines to build the moulds and vac form the parts.

James.

So I have had a number of people ask how I have done this, what I used etc. Also many have given me some really great compliments, but I want to make sure credit is given where credit is due as this has been a project made possible by a number of very talented individuals (many thanks guys).

Credits so far:

Inspiration: Bruce Meyer - creator of the original Manx

SRB running gear: Mr Tamiya

Body: Original CAD by me (Rhino OSX)

Engine: Original CAD purchased from falling pixel with extensive remodeling by me

Driver: Albert from James aka Beetlelover

4 point harness: 1/8 Pocher photo etch from EBay

Wheels: Pargu and Joe aka Volksrod

A special thanks to Kokuzu who has shared many pictures of his own personal Manx and comments to help me get the car as close to a real car as possible.

All CAD was created on my personal iMac using Rhino OSX (beta freeware). Prototype was printed on a Eden Object printer. Many have asked how much it is to print more copies. 3D printing is great for prototypes but it is extremely expensive to make copies that way.

James.

I just had an interesting email from a gentleman named Thomas. I tried to reply via TC but for some reason my email would not send. So just to make sure I avoid any future questions or issues regarding my employer. Here is the correspondence:

Hi!

Don^t you think it would be an idea to point out that you^ve stolen the CAD-drawings for your Manx from your employer? You don^t really need to use the word ^steal^. Say ^borrow^ instead. Admitting it now will be less embarrassing than being confronted with this information in the forum later, don^t you think.

Here is my reply:

Hi Thomas,

I am not exactly sure what you mean? All the cad for this project was created by me in my personal time on my own machine or purchased from a vendor with my own money.

The company I work for doesn't make anything like this.

What leads you to believe that it is stolen?

James.

It's a real shame when people abuse the member messaging function in this way but; haters gonna hate.

Thanks 30YrsL8r,

So moving on. I received my new scale bolts from RC4WD this week and fitted them to my 5 lug steel prototype.

img50_24022013061613_1.jpg

Hi!

Don^t you think it would be an idea to point out that you^ve stolen the CAD-drawings for your Manx from your employer? You don^t really need to use the word ^steal^. Say ^borrow^ instead. Admitting it now will be less embarrassing than being confronted with this information in the forum later, don^t you think.

Don't worry too much about these abusive email. Many of us have had them from non-TC members or faked names (not logged in when sent). I've gotten my fair share. Few things they all have in common is they're abusive, full of untrue statements and the reply email address is fake and trying to reply produces a delivery failure notice.

Keep up the top work mate. To say this unique build is awesome is an understatement. (Now I must go watch some more tutorials and get alot more practice on Rhino).

Don't worry too much about these abusive email. Many of us have had them from non-TC members or faked names (not logged in when sent). I've gotten my fair share. Few things they all have in common is they're abusive, full of untrue statements and the reply email address is fake and trying to reply produces a delivery failure notice.

Keep up the top work mate. To say this unique build is awesome is an understatement. (Now I must go watch some more tutorials and get alot more practice on Rhino).

Spot on and just pure jealousy. The fact these morons actually spend time reading enough of the forum to formulate an email in the first place just shows they have nothing better to do.

@toykid - it's bloomin fantastic mate, I wish I had the skills time and dedication for such a bespoke build.

I personally put the trolls abusive e mail to good use - i printed it off and wiped my backside on it :lol:

• Like 1

Please forgive all the updates but it helps keep me motivated and keep this project moving along. I am trying to do an update every week. A big thank you to everyone who has commented along the way, it really helps, no matter how short the comment - good or bad

I wanted to wait to share the driver until I had him painted, but it was just so cool I couldn't wait to share.

A huge thank you to James aka Beetlelover and Daniel for teaming up with me to make this happen. When I asked TC what kind of driver everyone thought I should do, the majority asked for realism over another ride for Willy.

So here is Albert. Keeping it retro with a nod to the original cowboy but geared up with his trademark helmet and a pair of period racing gloves for some weekend dune bashing.

img50_08032013232409_1.jpg

img50_08032013232409_2.jpg

img50_08032013232409_3.jpg

img50_08032013232409_4.jpg

• Like 3

Please forgive all the updates but it helps keep me motivated and keep this project moving along. I am trying to do an update every week. A big thank you to everyone who has commented along the way, it really helps, no matter how short the comment - good or bad

I wanted to wait to share the driver until I had him painted, but it was just so cool I couldn't wait to share.

A huge thank you to James aka Beetlelover and Daniel for teaming up with me to make this happen. When I asked TC what kind of driver everyone thought I should do, the majority asked for realism over another ride for Willy.

So here is Albert. Keeping it retro with a nod to the original cowboy but geared up with his trademark helmet and a pair of period racing gloves for some weekend dune bashing.

img50_08032013232409_1.jpg

img50_08032013232409_2.jpg

img50_08032013232409_3.jpg

img50_08032013232409_4.jpg

albert is a cool dude , nice , cant wait to see him painted up :)

Um. WOW. That's amazing! I cant believe the realism of the folds in the fabric, that would be impossible with an injection molding machine yes?

the fine details like the folded over cuffs on the shirt and the texture of the gloves is just amazing.

Are you planning on releasing these commercially? I think one of these would look amazing in my Hilux!

Please forgive all the updates

Whaaat? I can't wait for these updates!