TamiyaMan

?'s on Porsche 959/Celica Gr.B parts/instructions

I have a couple things I could use help with:

First - the car forum here on ths website lists both the 959 and the Celica as utilizing the same 'D' parts tree #9005233 or X10052. However the tamiyaclub 959 manual calls for 'D' parts tree #9005216 or X9961. I have pictures of both X9961 and X10052 and they LOOK identical but I'm not holding them both - can anyone verify if these two parts trees are the same? If not, what is different? If the same, why the different part numbers?

Second - the instruction manual that came with my 959 is different than the 959 instruction manual online at TamiyaClub. First difference is that the propeller shaft parts SA7,SA8, and SA9 (3485022/2595031/2595032) in my manual are different than the SA7, SA8, and SA9 (4135019/2595024/2595025) propeller shaft parts in the tamiyaclub manual. Why the difference - is one of the designs defective and Tamiya changed the kit? The other difference is that the instruction manual that came with my 959 has a "support plate bag" with parts BE1(2000027) and BE2(4305212) which are installed in step 27 on page #13. The instruction manual online at TamiyaClub does not have this bag and step 27 does not not show the installation of these parts - was this another upgrade or something?

Lastly - does anyone know of any other differences in Celica or 959 parts/instructions I should be aware of?

Supposedly some later 959s had the Celica's driveshaft ("spade") instead of the earlier "dogbone" type.

Does your manual show "Racing" or "Rothmans" for the stickers?

This is an earlier kit with the Rothmans cigarette decals - but it has the spade type propeller shaft. Anybody know why the change?

Anybody have any information about the other issues listed here?

I never knew about the driveshaft differences! [:0]

Willy, could you show me what a 'spade' shaft looks like...? [:)] I haven't got a clue... [8)]

It just looks like the end of a normal flat bladed screwdriver. Anybody have any info on the other issues? Somebody on this board has to be familiar with the 959 and Celica Gr.B......

I dont know the answer to the first question regarding the d-parts but i believe there is absolutely no difference at all inthe actual parts... why they have different numbers is beyond me!

On the other two things though...

The first edition 959 came with the dogbone propeller shaft and did not come with the BE1 or BE2 parts mentioned.

By the time they moved into the RACING decals, it seems they had adopted the Celica's spade prop shaft (I was going to try to put a photo in here of the comparison but could not make it work!). I know that the Celica's ball diff set up requires a short prop shaft and that they started using the spade one with that. Seeing as they moved to that set up with the new Celica, it probably made sense to discontinue the old dogbone one.

In the latter cars, they also included the BE1 and BE2 parts in what seems an effort to strengthen the mounting of the front suspension. I am not sure whether the Celica has the same parts.

Just seems to be the normal way that tamiya do things... very gentle evolution of a model over a period of 3-5 years.

• Like 1

Well, D tree on first 959 are different from Celica D tree.

The main difference I found is that holes for BB2 screws

(see step 27 page 13 online 959 manual) are smaller than holes for BA4 screws (see step 27 page 13 online celica manual).

That means if you are using late D tree on a 959, you need a plate (BS2 celica manual)to hold front shock tower in place, or like I did 2 3mm nuts.

The central shaft is called hard propeller shaft. I'm almost 100% sure it is the same used as option on TA-02, but I never checked.

You find other differences in some front parts:

C2

F1,F2,F6,F7

On Celica/late 959 have some pins to limit steering and avoid loosing

dogbone.

Roby

• Like 1

THANKS ROBY - I'll check the different 'D' parts I have now that I know what to look for.

I must have a crossover 959 then because mine includes the Rothmans cigarette decals but has the BE1 and BE2 parts and the Celica spade prop shaft.

Additional Information to add about the D Parts.

9005216 / X9961 ~ D Parts (Gearbox Casing) (Earlier Version)

58059 | Porsche 959 4WD (Paris-Dakar Rally Winner)

9005233 / X10052 ~ D Parts (Gearbox Casing) (Later Reinforced Version)

58059 | Porsche 959 4WD (Paris-Dakar Rally Winner)

58064 | Toyota Celica Gr.B (Rally Special)

If anybody needs any I have the later version on my website:

http://www.modelbuild.co.uk/show_product.asp?id=379

Thanks

Bob

Supposedly some later 959s had the Celica's driveshaft ("spade") instead of the earlier "dogbone" type.

Does your manual show "Racing" or "Rothmans" for the stickers?

This is definitely true, because I remember very clearly my 959 I bought and built back in the 80's had both the rothman stickers and the "spade" driveshaft.

Gonna dig this thread up again :huh:

Was just wondering if anyone can recall differences in the outer boxes. Were there differences? I noticed the Rothmans kit lacks the name 'Rothmans' in the box art. Were the earliest releases like this also?

Gonna dig this thread up again :lol:

Was just wondering if anyone can recall differences in the outer boxes. Were there differences? I noticed the Rothmans kit lacks the name 'Rothmans' in the box art. Were the earliest releases like this also?

-Steve

Porsche logo was removed after some time, later boxes just say Porsche but no shield.

First run of kits was misprinted with 1/10 instead of 1/12.

Singapore_959 said:
Porsche logo was removed after some time, later boxes just say Porsche but no shield.

First run of kits was misprinted with 1/10 instead of 1/12.

Thanks! :lol:

I knew about the Porsche crest disappearing from the box about the time the Rothmans decals did, but I hadn't heard of the 1/10 typo!

2 hours ago, Dazibao said:

Please delete this post ?

Why? 

I was looking for some ebay advice but then i no longer needed it so i deleted the post - new to forums 😅

So I came back here with some questions.

1- Please help me understand center differential set, what does it do? Is it normal for an rc vehicle to have center differential, seems to me this is too much engineering,  what is this worth do you think ? There is one on eBay (150.Gbp)

diff.jpg.e0a3bf36fc442a33a60c89c15a2d2584.jpg

2- I won't be running this car too often but i am intrigued with the different parts used in Celica & 959 so i am trying to gather all optional parts for it. Are there any other hop - ups / upgrades i should look for ? 

So far i have ordered following:

+Celica Grb Prop shaft set 

+Fasteddy rubber sealed bb set for Porsche 959

Thanks.

All the above differences are correct.

@Singapore_959s point re the first run, box typo applies to the narrow ends not sides btw - pics of my NIB 959 attached.

Tamiya covered the mistake with a piece of card - which you can clearly see around the edges @OCD 😂

B998C30B-F033-42A3-B3B1-5CAE77BE0096.jpeg

2AC50A4C-111D-439E-B894-93394305A55A.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 6:44 AM, H22A4 said:

11 years - must be a record!

ddqYFFp.jpg

• Haha 2