Sign in to follow this  
mtbkym01

Brush painting lexan

Hi guys, looking for some advice as far as brush painting lexan, got a couple drivers to do (wild one, optima), and was wondering what paint I need to try and find. The old PC paints are long gone it appears. Are the Faskolor type airbrush paints able to be used? What about 'normal' model paints backed with PS spray ( I saw a guy seal a body that he painted with TS spray with PS backing to stop the TS from further flaking, looked really effective in fact)

Any advice would be great

Well, Pactra have some paints.. but they are solvent based, it's not as nice as the tamiya ones where you can clean the brush in water.

You could just spray some polycarb spray paints into a small container/cap and then brush them on - for something as small as a driver figure you wouldn't need a lot and its a neat way to finish off all those 75% used spray cans we all have left over from projects and builds !

For the drivers you can easly go with enamel paints. Only for the drivers.

Max

All i use is the X series tamiya paints , in the small jar's .

i use humbrol enamal model paint in the little tins for the drives and tamiya TS spray paint for hard bodies and PS spray paint for lexan . if i want to brush paint some sections on a lexan body , i use faskolor paint straight out of the bottle .. i get pretty good results out of it .

i use humbrol enamal model paint in the little tins for the drives and tamiya TS spray paint for hard bodies and PS spray paint for lexan . if i want to brush paint some sections on a lexan body , i use faskolor paint straight out of the bottle .. i get pretty good results out of it .

Exactly what I do, just in this instance the Wild One and Optima have lexan driver figures, so was looking at my options there, might grab some Faskolor bottles.

Ive used ordinary modelling acrylics on drivers and lexan bodies and not noticed any major flaking or cracking. Paint on as normal, thin with water if required and when dry give it a few coats of Humbrol matt varnish. If the lexan isnt going to be flexed it really isnt be a problem at all in my experience. It even works with spray acrylic paints.

Liquitex artist acrylics also work well if you scuff up the surface with steel wool first.