Sign in to follow this  
Jonny P

Tamiya ESC to Acoms receiver

Hi all, I am currently building a re-issue HotShot and i'm stuck as how to connect the Tamiya ESC to the Acoms receiver? I'm only used to the old style speed controllers as i've just returned to the hobby after a long while, and the only other kit i have is the Super Clodbuster which uses the old style speed controller as it has twin motors. The instructions with the radio and receiver only show the old style ESC, and the HotShot manual just has a drawing which shows no detail.

The wiring is mainly self explainitory but i have one lead with a plug which doesn't fit into the receiver. Its a three core lead, black, red and white (control?) If i plug everything in with the radio switched on etc, but with only the spurios lead not connected, i get a continuous beep from the motor in time with a flashing LED on the ESC. I've checked the Sanwa receiver fitted to my SCB but this has the same sockets as the new Acoms one. I cant carry one with the build until i install the radio gear and servo so i'm stuck!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks..

Hi all, I am currently building a re-issue HotShot and i'm stuck as how to connect the Tamiya ESC to the Acoms receiver? I'm only used to the old style speed controllers as i've just returned to the hobby after a long while, and the only other kit i have is the Super Clodbuster which uses the old style speed controller as it has twin motors. The instructions with the radio and receiver only show the old style ESC, and the HotShot manual just has a drawing which shows no detail.

The wiring is mainly self explainitory but i have one lead with a plug which doesn't fit into the receiver. Its a three core lead, black, red and white (control?) If i plug everything in with the radio switched on etc, but with only the spurios lead not connected, i get a continuous beep from the motor in time with a flashing LED on the ESC. I've checked the Sanwa receiver fitted to my SCB but this has the same sockets as the new Acoms one. I cant carry one with the build until i install the radio gear and servo so i'm stuck!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks..

you connect the three wire jst conntector into your channel for your throttle and you should have a red plug with a red and black wire to go into the battery socket on your receiver, but be aware that the tamiya esc's dont have bec and will supply battery voltage to your reciever which is normally too high as most recievers only need 5-6v max. for the cars i run with a tamiya teu103bk or teu104bk, i use a ubec to reduce the power.

If your receiver says BEC on it, it will be fine with this ESC. The wire goes into ch2 on your receiver in place of the old throttle servo, the steering into ch1 as before.

you connect the three wire jst conntector into your channel for your throttle and you should have a red plug with a red and black wire to go into the battery socket on your receiver, but be aware that the tamiya esc's dont have bec and will supply battery voltage to your reciever which is normally too high as most recievers only need 5-6v max. for the cars i run with a tamiya teu103bk or teu104bk, i use a ubec to reduce the power.

Thanks very much, i guessed as much about it being the channel for the throttle but that doesnt account for the wrong plug? is it just a case of swapping it for the correct sized plug?

If your receiver says BEC on it, it will be fine with this ESC. The wire goes into ch2 on your receiver in place of the old throttle servo, the steering into ch1 as before.

Thanks for the help! as i replied above.. i guessed as much about it being the channel for the throttle but that doesnt account for the wrong plug? is it just a case of swapping it for the correct sized plug?

If your plug has the tiny plastic lip on one end, you can usually get away with carefully trimming it off to get it to fit in the socket. If your receiver takes the really old big fat plugs, you're probably better off getting a newer receiver and matching servo, you can pick them up for a few quid on the Bay or on here.

If your plug has the tiny plastic lip on one end, you can usually get away with carefully trimming it off to get it to fit in the socket. If your receiver takes the really old big fat plugs, you're probably better off getting a newer receiver and matching servo, you can pick them up for a few quid on the Bay or on here.

Just trimmed it and and its working! Thanks for the advice mate..