Sign in to follow this  
Frogstercouk

Super Champ - Rebuild or?

So, I'm looking on ebay for a new project, and up comes half of a champ for sale. (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300642545296?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1156) Now I always had a Super Champ, and thought this would be a great way to get hold of a front suspension, as i remember mine being poorly! Wow what a price this sold for, which got me thinking about where the super champ was.

I've had a good rummage around the parents attic this weekend, and found it all in a tatty cardboard box wrapped in a bin liner.

It was like Christmas 82/83 (can't quite remember) all over again.

I took lots of photos and quickly found this site after googling.

Now what do I do?

Frog.

post-38680-1326025186_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the club .Restore it for sure . These buggies have a special Tamiya place and are well worth restoring , there are lots of parts out there for these but things like the body shell and rear end suspension parts are not so they need to be looked after .From the looks of your SC it seems complete although driverless (a Buggy Champ driver will fit if you don't have one) .With a strip down and clean the whole thing will probably restore easily (check for badly worn parts) You will need to replace that lower arm as it has a bolt in it - probably due to a stripped thread) All in all it looks like a great project .Have a look around the showrooms and search for Super Champ and you will get a heap of inspiration from many of the members 'Champs- restored , new , projects etc . Good luck with the restore , and post up some pics of your progress and if you ANY help with any part of the restore process you just ask , there is plenty of advice available here about everything you need to know

restore it , these are very very sort after , your a lucky guy to have one thats so complete

Welcome aboard. Restore it. A good Super Champ, when complete is hard to find. Also the Super Champ is a special Buggy that should not be missed in a good collection.

So, I'm looking on ebay for a new project, and up comes half of a champ for sale. (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300642545296?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1156) Now I always had a Super Champ, and thought this would be a great way to get hold of a front suspension, as i remember mine being poorly! Wow what a price this sold for, which got me thinking about where the super champ was.

I've had a good rummage around the parents attic this weekend, and found it all in a tatty cardboard box wrapped in a bin liner.

It was like Christmas 82/83 (can't quite remember) all over again.

I took lots of photos and quickly found this site after googling.

Now what do I do?

Frog.

The answer is on the roof:

Go for it :(

Wow, you've still got your own original Super Champ.

You have to restore it, or just upgrade it and bring it in to 2012....

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it...

Welcome to TC..

I agree with everyone else too! Restore it but mind that if that body doesn't have any cracks in it and you plan on running it that you don't run it with the original body if it hasn't been cracked up yet. Get a re-release Rough Rider (Buggy Champ) body for it Plastic or Lexan and run it with one of these so that if something happens you won't be out of pocket dearly. New body kits for Super Champs on Ebay go for big dollars! Welcome aboard! Keep us updated we are here to help and bounce ideas off

OSR

Sorry for the slow response guys, finally found time to upload all of the other photos.

I have the driver dude, and his dash board at the bottom of the box, and also found the original 3 speed servo which i had swapped out for a variable one. Ive found the broken front suspension arm on ebay so might start with that, especially as i don't really know how to get all of the perished balloons off the other components.

The shell is in perfect condition, though not so sure of my original painting skills! Will the battery still take and hold a charge?

Hope you like the photos. Any further advice welcome.

Frog

post-38680-1326548614_thumb.jpg

post-38680-1326548626_thumb.jpg

post-38680-1326548661_thumb.jpg

post-38680-1326548735_thumb.jpg

post-38680-1326548745_thumb.jpg

post-38680-1326548757_thumb.jpg

post-38680-1326548768_thumb.jpg

post-38680-1326548779_thumb.jpg

post-38680-1326548792_thumb.jpg

post-38680-1326548805_thumb.jpg

post-38680-1326548816_thumb.jpg

post-38680-1326548887_thumb.jpg

Bigger is better when it comes to photographs (even if you have to spread them over a couple of posts because of the size limit.

Looks like yours is in better shape than mine was at the beginning of my restoration, which can only be a good thing! Good luck.

2 Years! I cant believe all that time has passed since I first posted. Well in that time I've lost my partner to cancer, so having a clear out, and the car has to go! Ive decided I'll put it on eBay and see how it goes!

Tough choice but it isnt getting itself rebuilt in the attic!!!

Frogster

Sorry to hear your bad news

Some good news is the last two super champs thru UK ebay have made good money - latest one, this evening, made £190 and looked like it needed a complete strip, clean, rebuild and new tyres as a minimum .

Well it's taken me a year! But I've succumbed and finally decided to sell!

Hope it goes to a good home!

F

Very sorry for your sad loss . I'am sure it will find a good home - original ones always do .

If think twice about selling it to be honest, since the rerelease came out prices of originals have dropped.. You never know when the motivation might happen and you wish you kept it to restore!

Very sorry about your loss, F. :(

At least, I can guarantee that your Super Champ will be well looked after in the time to come. :)

Best regards.

Michael

Well, the Champ arrived here in Denmark yesterday, and I have started to take it apart. I plan on going back to the original MSC, and I just might finish it off in the same colours as it had originally from Frogster, only re-done, and with new decals. Have also got hold of a set of NIP Pro Line rims for it, with gold plated outer rims..

It looks like it have not been driven a whole lot, e.g. the universals are pretty much like new, without wear, but the front suspension arms are sloppy as usual on these, but with a little fiddling around, I am sure, it will be OK once again..

Frogster did a good job packing it, so it arrived without any further damage luckily. :)

Looking forward to getting on with the resto. :D

• Like 1