Sign in to follow this  
tamiyafier

My M-04XL Porsche 911

Hey guys, I'm back from a bit of a break.

After seeing a member here doing a M-04XL, I thought I'd do my own with my scrappy old MX-5 :D

I started with this:

img0494fm.jpg

img0491j.jpg

I added the double chassis extensions:

img0631zn.jpg

With the TL-01 arms, TL-01 rear bumper, 39mm dogbones, Speedmind black mesh rims, Celica radials, Tamiya metal hexes and 3Racing dampers. To fit the fronts without a new tower, I had to use long ball cups on the front for the lower damper ends, as the TL-01 arms lay down the shocks a lot more.

img0634rs.jpg

Closeup:

img0635u.jpg

Mocked up with an old Porsche 996 shell from my TL-01 kit, I want to use one of the newer Tamiya 997 GT3 shells though.

img0637d.jpg

I haven't driven it yet, though I suspect that I may need grippier rear tires... :D

Cool project! Yes you will need grippier tires...

You might also need wider tires, depends on your offset.

Looks like a fun project though, and I LOVE your paint collection. I try and pick up some whenever i'm at a hobby store. Just to have a STASH!

Cheers,

skottoman

Thanks!

I want to see how it drives with the radials first though. If it's anything like my M02, it'll do donuts 'till the cows come home.

Still need to mess with the rear suspension to lengthen the wheelbase a tad more...

Kevin_Mc has done something similar if you look around you might find his thread. Might help you.

Hey guys, I'm back from a bit of a break.

After seeing a member here doing a M-04XL, I thought I'd do my own with my scrappy old MX-5 :blink:

Thats pure quality . I like your thinking . I was wondering how to fit a HPI stratos body on a tamiya chassis . I think i've just found the solution :(

I was wondering how to fit a HPI stratos body on a tamiya chassis . I think i've just found the solution :blink:

I don't think there's any way you're going to fit the HPI stratos over the front shock tower of the M04...

I have one, and it's a REALLY low nose...

I have the body on a CUP racer, and I have a few M04s sitting around. I could test fit, but I'm 99% sure it won't fit.

Cheers,

Skottoman

I don't think there's any way you're going to fit the HPI stratos over the front shock tower of the M04...

I have one, and it's a REALLY low nose...

I have the body on a CUP racer, and I have a few M04s sitting around. I could test fit, but I'm 99% sure it won't fit.

Cheers,

Skottoman

i could always use tamiyas method and just chop holes in it lol

As someone with a M04-XL myself, I can tell you to watch out for traction roll, especially with BL. It's amazing what that extra length does to the handling. For the Porsche body, I think the Tamiya SP549 wide two piece mesh wheels might fit the bill in the rear.

{EDIT} Nevermind about the traction roll...I see where you did the TL-01 arms, etc.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

I'm not sure who it was, but the build I first saw was with a Z3, which got converted to a red Porsche 911.

I stretched the rear suspension with spacers, so that I could move the hub carriers back. To do this, I had to reverse the upper arms too.

Before and after (respectively):

img0634ek.jpg

Mocked up with my R32 GT-R shell. Wheelbase is perfect! :)

img0637t.jpg

Very similar to my m-04XL Porsche gt2 (although mine's is a 996)! It looks good so far, I really need to finish the body for mines. I ended up adding a helicopter gyro to keep the tail end in check lol

Back again guys!

I ordered some two piece rims and an Audi R8 shell for it because it was on sale on RC Mart, also because after a bit of thought the M-04 is a MR, not a RR like the 911. The LMS is RWD for competition purposes, so here we are! ;)

Brand new two piece rims, with extra wide 32mm rears paired with a set of tires I've had for about two years now. +4 offset up front, and +10 offset on the back for a pretty awesome looking stance.

img0655gy.jpg

Deep dish :D

img0656xj.jpg

Annnnnnnd, the shell! Audi R8 LMS, minus the wing for now. The uber wide wheels fit in the wheel wells just perfectly. Really happy about that.

I trimmed the shell with the score and peel trick, but it doesn't seem to work on wheel wells, so I still need to do some wet sanding. Since I took this photo I've lowered the back by a hole by repositioning the antenna stay, so it sits nice and low now. ;)

img0658p.jpg

img0659sm.jpg

Shot of that super wide back:

img0660zyu.jpg

Hoping to paint it sometime soon, so any suggestions? ;)

Lovely! The wheels are great and that shell is stunning ;)

If you're keeping it as a road car (ie without the wing) I think a really dark blue with either a silver side panel or the same colour as the wheel inserts.

I used the score and snap technique yesterday for the first time. I still prefer to used straight and curved scissors but for the pull start hole (nitro shell) I ended up doing the score and snap trick which worked really well. I was sanding down the edges anyway so it was worth trying.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Your build was what inspired me to do this in the first place, so thanks! :blink:

I'm going to use the wing, so I'm thinking either gun metal or white with carbon side stripes.

Finally finished this shell off. Planning on getting an interior though, the amount of chassis visible through the windows is somewhat irritating.

Freshly painted, without the majority of decals. I added some of the rear decals to make it easier for me to mask the black areas. The sides were painted from the outside for the matte look, using the overpsray film trick. The paint job wasn't great, there was some bleeding but I'm quite happy with the result.

img0816ra.jpg

img0818lk.jpg

With decals, and the wing/mirrors painted in gun metal:

img0824d.jpg

img0825al.jpg

img0826rn.jpg

img0828d.jpg

• Like 1

Why not just smoke the windows? (can't remember the Tamiya PS #) I think the tinted look would very much suit that shell.

Looks great! I just built a TT-01E with that body. Tricky to paint, you did a great job!

I have the same wheels as well..Was having trouble locating tires for the rears...are you running 30mm tires on the 32mm wheels? Can't seem to find the correct tires. I believe they are discontinued.

Cool projects. You've inspired me to do something similar using a different body. Quick question what is the wheelbase for a M04XL and what is the track width using the TL01 arms? Thanks.

the wheelbase of mine's is 257mm (same as a normal touring car) and the width is the same as a TL-01 too (190mm IIRC)

It's actually a bit narrow, with non-offset rims. Can't remember it off the top of my head, but the front wheels (26mm) are installed in the high-offset direction.

The rear tires are Tamiya "wide" racing slicks :) The wheels are 32mm.