Peanut

Ebay scorcher

Hi everyone,new to the site but not to Tamiya.I've had a few over the years but today I just won this on the bay.It's something I've wanted forever & nobody seemed interested in this one.Could I have won a lemon?All seems okay except for a few doubts about the originality of the bodyshell.Could anyone throw some light on the car & show me that I've won a bargain not a binner!!!

KGrHqVn0E63WBOuUBPBfe5jnj60_12.jpg

KGrHqJqEE63Z2fW0YBPBfflzwB60_12.jpg

KGrHqRlgE7HCkPrrBPBfgOf1dQ60_12-1.jpg

KGrHqNnsE63V3W3REBPCdFUZQ60_12.jpg

KGrHqJiIE69YSdH-BPBfgtHKpQ60_12.jpg

I'm pretty sure the body and probably the radio box are re-release parts, not vintage. But it looks like a really nice buy, definitely not a binner!!

cheers,

Rob

The chassie looks Mk1 to me (1979-80 NOT later)

Gap between the rear cage mount and two screws holding front spring (suspention)

The body is if black Blitzer Beetle if red or white Monster Beetle. Nosecone Blitser Beetle.

Inside (chassie) looks complete to me... Radio box mite be re-re... Looks to new... Same with front bumper... But black is right to that chassie.

Congrats! Now fetch a origonal body and you're home boy!

Badboy

That looks like a Blitzer Beetle Body to me . The head light recess's are too deep for a Scorcher and its missing the indicators . Deffo a keeper though . Windows are also tinted - Sand Scorcher are clear .

Mark 1 front and rear ends, original coloured chassi plate. Radio box looks too clear to be original (they normally look nicotine stained by now) so will be from the re-re. Wheels n tyres look newish (bonus!). Rear shocks are wrong, but easily sourced on ebay as used items.

Body looks Blittzer Beetle (moulded in door handles) and the glass is tinted so again Monster Beetle or Blitzer Beetle

Overall a nice Scorcher - looks in great condition.

I may have a pair of vintage rear shocks if your interested ? their in resonable condition just a few very minor nicks .

I may have a pair of vintage rear shocks if your interested ? their in resonable condition just a few very minor nicks .

double post please delete

Hi and wellcome to TC.!

As said above the chassis and both ends are MKI the radio box its easy to see if its a re-re or not by looking at the rear mounting point of the well nut.The new version has a smaller diameter opening than the old one which is only a small tube..If you search in photos you can see the difference ,its easy.

Body as said is probably a Blitzer Beetle as is the nose cone and you choose to keep it or use it as a runner body.Original bodies are easier to find than before the re-re in ok prices and condition...

Black bumper would be great to be original but I dont think so either...

Depending on the price to paid ,I would say the MKI is a very good starting point to create a fantastic vintage Sand Scorcher.!!

Cheers

Thanks for all the quick replies.I need to start doing my homework with srb chassis.When it arrives I'll post more pics.Can't wait now.I take it I can run an esc in this & upgrade the motor etc?

Already looking at alloy parts,naughty!!!!

The chassie looks Mk1 to me (1979-80 NOT later)

Gap between the rear cage mount and two screws holding front spring (suspention)

The body is if black Blitzer Beetle if red or white Monster Beetle. Nosecone Blitser Beetle.

Inside (chassie) looks complete to me... Radio box mite be re-re... Looks to new... Same with front bumper... But black is right to that chassie.

Congrats! Now fetch a origonal body and you're home boy!

Badboy

+1

I agree! It really all depends on what you want to do with it? I think this is a really good start to a vintage runner, or a good start to a shelf queen. Looks good. I watched it go through ebay! OSR

Check out the servo savor at the front look neer to the suspesion tubes if the loop where the spring goes thro is set back a bit to give clearence its a 79 if its not its 80 onwards. an late one wont fit on a early chassis it binds on the tubes if that helps.

Okay chaps,the 'scorcher' arrived today & I don't really know what to make of it.Unsure if I'm pleased with the bargain or a bit let down!!

Anyway shell is from a monster beetle part no.58060 dated 1986.The nose has been blended in & the sunroof has had an attempt at the same.

Picture196.jpg

Picture193.jpg

Picture195.jpg

Picture198.jpg

Picture197.jpg

Unfortunately I can't fit the body as there was no rear body clip supplied in the sale(wasn't mentioned).However I think I'm going to modify the shell & smooth the arches & remove the engine cover so the shell will be adapted.

The chassis looks okay but unsure of a few things.Firstly I have removed all the original electrics as I want to run esc & direct steering servo etc.I have heard of a kamtec battery box that is big enough to house all the electrics & a standard stick battery.Does anyone know where to fet this item?

The main chassis looks to be made of a piece of brass,is this common?Also there is no strengthening triangular plate so I take it my chassis isn't genuine.The rear shocks are **** & the front shock has a spacer & 2 rubbers missing.

The bearings are all metal & the motor works.There was a bag of unpainted bits including driver etc & the exhaust but no clamps to fit it!

The radio box is in excellent condition with the receiver housing intact.

I never wanted a vintage perfect car as I intend on upgrading with alloy parts & hop ups anyhow but what would you guys do with it in my situation????

Picture206.jpg

Picture202.jpg

Picture205.jpg

Picture204.jpg

Picture203.jpg

First off I think you did quiet well. It sounds like you want a modified runner.

If you want a modified Sand Scorcher then you are along the right lines with what you have. Fix and replace a couple items and install the radio gear and you are away to the races! All the modified pieces are easy to come because of the fact of the new re-releases.

If you were looking for a vintage runner that is 100% vintage then you definately have some work. I would say that there are drawbacks to vintage runners, one being the body shell. Unless you have a lot of money (money to burn) I wouldn't ever run an original vintage body. Chassis plates (original ones) are expensive. If you don't want the chassis plate pull it off and eBay it. In fact all the parts that you are not happy with eBay them too. I think that you already talked about the Kamtec so you have some sense of what I am talking about. There are also a variety of shock set-ups that you can look at. It all depends on how deep you want to go.

Personall if I was going to do it all over again. I would stay away from the vintage SRB stuff and go with a re-release stuff it has better castings then the original stuff. If you are not happy and think you need a new canvas to build your SRB runner then I would eBay it and move it down the road. Hopefully I have given you some ideas.

OSR

I wasn't exactly over the moon when my SS arrived but now, having put a some blood, sweat and tears into it, I wouldn't think of selling it - and it's not even half way finished yet.

Take a deep breath and hang in there :)

Thanks oldschoolrunner for the advise & ideas.

I think I'm going to get a new chassis plate & kamtec radio box,sort a few parts out & have some fun with her for a while.I have a Rough Rider on it's way to me aswel so I'll assess the parts & go from there!

Thanks oldschoolrunner for the advise & ideas.

I think I'm going to get a new chassis plate & kamtec radio box,sort a few parts out & have some fun with her for a while.I have a Rough Rider on it's way to me aswel so I'll assess the parts & go from there!

There you go! I have had a lot worse Sand Scorchers over the years grace my work bench! I have a build that I didn't do but I bought from a friend in the states a little while ago. I still have to clear my work bench but I plan on showcasing its features. It is a new re-release Sand Scorcher brushless with a brushless slipper clutch system ball diff system. I plan on tearing it down in the next little while and taking lots of pictures and discussing it hopups. That might be a thread you might want to watch for to get some ideas. Keep positive man!

OSR

Check out the servo savor at the front look neer to the suspesion tubes if the loop where the spring goes thro is set back a bit to give clearence its a 79 if its not its 80 onwards. an late one wont fit on a early chassis it binds on the tubes if that helps.

This may sound a bit thick!, but which way and how far back id the loop set back? Many Thanks.

You don't say how much you paid for the Scorcher but i'd say you have a typical eBay buy..

rubber grommets on the shocks perish in storage so any unrestored car will need these replacing - about £7 a set of 8

The original chassis plates and reinforcement 'triangle' come up on ebay - generally sell for £10-12 the pair.

The brass chassis plate might not be original but it won;t flex like the Tamiya one either. The rear shocks are someones attempt at improving the drive of the car and get rid of the leaking original shocks. You could go back to the original set-up with new re-re, or used original parts from ebay, or use RC Channel's version which don;t leak apparently

The use of a Blitzer body just reflects the market 3 years ago before the re-re came out - no-one could afford a new Scorcher body, so the Blitzer was the only hard body choice at reasonable cost. The body looks fine for a runner and a body clip should be about £13 or less for a used one.

The Kamtec radio box is only available in carbon effect now, although if you ring them Keith may have a couple of clear ones still. I have a clear one on my Sand Scortzer project (detailed in forum) and its OK, but the single large lid is a pain to take on and off if you use the original steering rod design.

You have a few choices..

drop on some old used SRB shocks and sell it on - i reckon it'd make £120-130 like that.

add new/custom parts to make a good , enjoyable runner

change as much back to original as you can over a period of time

Hi,,

To say if the body is a vintage Monster Beeetle or and old Blitzer Beetle you just have to see the actual color of the plastic.White=Monster , Black = Blitzer.The part number and name inside the body was the same in both of them.Meaning that Tamiya didnt change the molding when they creat the Blitzer just switch into black plastic.

The MKI chassis has the weakest front suspension system of them all to use for a runner.It has the first production thinner arms that are easy to bend or brake..thats also a reason you see a lot of MKI chassis with MKII arms.I dont think MKI front suspension will last long and its a pitty to destroy something as rare that .MKI are the nicesest for display but not for running.

Also the rear gear case has a weak point were the plastic rear bumper is screwed on.This area is easy to brake/snap off after a hit .Thats the reason why they change to a solid molding with MKII models.So again I have to say you should be cafefull driving this very rare parts.

My point of view is for all of us vintage freaks to try and save these very rare SRBs (MKIs) and have fun with something that can be easily replaced if broken.. :D

Cheers..

Hi,,

To say if the body is a vintage Monster Beeetle or and old Blitzer Beetle you just have to see the actual color of the plastic.White=Monster , Black = Blitzer.The part number and name inside the body was the same in both of them.Meaning that Tamiya didnt change the molding when they creat the Blitzer just switch into black plastic.

The MKI chassis has the weakest front suspension system of them all to use for a runner.It has the first production thinner arms that are easy to bend or brake..thats also a reason you see a lot of MKI chassis with MKII arms.I dont think MKI front suspension will last long and its a pitty to destroy something as rare that .MKI are the nicesest for display but not for running.

Also the rear gear case has a weak point were the plastic rear bumper is screwed on.This area is easy to brake/snap off after a hit .Thats the reason why they change to a solid molding with MKII models.So again I have to say you should be cafefull driving this very rare parts.

My point of view is for all of us vintage freaks to try and save these very rare SRBs (MKIs) and have fun with something that can be easily replaced if broken.. :D

Cheers..

He brings up a good point! Does anyone have a pic of the differences between the two arms? MKI ans MKII? To add to this train of thought for peanut?

OSR

I have decided over the last few days that I'm going to keep this chassis as a runner.I stripped the gearbox & found no problems except it was bone dry,no lubricant at all!I stripped the front & have one grub screw that has worn the thread out of it's fixing but managed to source a slightly larger one in work.The bodyshell is having a few mods to.As it's not a genuine scorcher shell I decided that I wanted to modify it a bit.I always thought that the arches are a bit too wide so started by masking, marking & colouring the shape I wanted.

Picture195-1.jpg

Picture193-1.jpg

Picture200.jpg

Picture201.jpg

Picture202-1.jpg

Picture203-1.jpg

I have started to cut them out this evening & once sanded I'll post some more pics.

I really want to add spotlights & maybe a luggage rack or spare tyre holder.Anyone got any cool pics in there saved file for inspiration?

You can put a spare front wheel in the rear cage instead of the stinger, or through the rear window. Pro-line to a roof rack that you could use too, but its a bit square and upright looking, better for 4x4 type vehicles.

here's some inspiration if you have a few hundred hours to spare (Blitzer body on a super champ chassis)..

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...037&id=6228

have a look through that members showroom, some great work in there !

another example with a roof rack.. http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...84&id=23428

Its really a case of spending an eening sifting through the 1000 scorchers in the showroom to get some ideas

I love Toykids interpretation of the Baja racer - nicely trimmed arches, nosecone etc..

Thanks Percymon I've spent days looking through thousands of pictures & still don't know which way I want to go with this shell!!!

As it's not original I'll be removing all the paint & starting again for sure.I have a load of olive army paint & was tempted with the wild willy or fav decals & go for an army look but I'm really tempted to do a beach racer with spare wheel,window net etc.

I'd like to replace the heavy brass chassis with something different & have seen a few nice chassis on here.They seem to have curved up sides!where are you guys getting them from?Have done a search on here but can't get specific topics.