Sign in to follow this  
bugone

Powering receiver when using ESC

Ive recently built a Monster beetle up using an acoms BEC receiver and a teu104 ESC which was all pretty simple and works well.

Im going to build my QD up using a different ESC, however how do they power the receiver? All the ones I've found other than the tamiya ESC (eg the Venom VSC 240) only have a cable to plug into the channel, not the red plugged power cable that goes into the battery terminal connector on the receiver.

Plenty of them say they have a BEC output, but i cant see where this outout is. Am I missing something.

The receiver is power by the same signal plug that controls the ESC as the ESC has a built in BEC. With the Futaba colour code it's: White = Signal, Red = 5.0v to 6.0v (depending on the BEC output of the ESC), Black = Earth. Some other brands have different colours.

The receiver will make common the red 5.0v to 6.0v rail in the receiver, thus all the middle connectors for CH1, CH2 and BATT will have the same voltage if an ESC with only one plug is connected. You can even plug into the BATT connector to power LEDs or bulbs for lighting.

The Tamiya ESCs (101BK or 104BK) do not have a built in BEC so supply power for the receiver (what ever voltage pack you connect) to the 2 pin BATT plug.

Connectors.jpg

You can even plug into the BATT connector to power LEDs or bulbs for lighting.

Now THAT has got me thinking.... thanks

The receiver is power by the same signal plug that controls the ESC as the ESC has a built in BEC. With the Fatuba colour code it's: White = Signal, Red = 5.0v to 6.0v (depending on the BEC output of the ESC), Black = Earth. Some other brands have different colours.

The receiver will make common the red 5.0v to 6.0v rail in the receiver, thus all the middle connectors for CH1, CH2 and BATT will have the same voltage if an ESC with only one plug is connected. You can even plug into the BATT connector to power LEDs or bulbs for lighting.

The Tamiya ESCs (101BK or 104BK) do not have a built in BEC so supply power for the receiver (what ever voltage pack you connect) to the 2 pin BATT plug.

http://www.roadrunner.the-best-hosting.org.../Connectors.jpg

Thanks, that explains it perfectly.

Now THAT has got me thinking.... thanks

It works provided you do not exceeed the current draw rating of the BEC. Overload the BEC and it may fail. Power for the receiver, what ever servos are connected are also part of the current draw so take this into consideration when connecting lighting off the BEC as well.

It works provided you do not exceeed the current draw rating of the BEC. Overload the BEC and it may fail. Power for the receiver, what ever servos are connected are also part of the current draw so take this into consideration when connecting lighting off the BEC as well.

Thanks - I'll get the ammeter on it and see what I have to play with under full load.

Hi, can anyone help. I have an old p100f CPR unit and matching servo in my bigwig that I've never used. Can I use any 27mhz transmitter for this??

Cheers.

Hi, can anyone help. I have an old p100f CPR unit and matching servo in my bigwig that I've never used. Can I use any 27mhz transmitter for this??

Cheers.

The radio is Futaba based, so I would seek out a Futaba handset. Other brands might work, but certain specs can be slightly different, which may not agree with the CPR's requirements.