Sign in to follow this  
RCNub

1/10 Drift Chassis choosing

Hey guys,

Is there such a thing as a TA-05 Chassis with LEDs?

im new to the RC scene let alone the drifting scene

ive been looking at the TT-01D (LED Kit) and the TA-03F

any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

besides the point, the main lookout is for a 4wd drift setup drive-belt chassis with LEDs that has a reasonable amount of Hop Ups available.

also, any pros/cons for each chassis would also be a plus

Thanks in Advance.

This is what I'd buy: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=84205 I prefer shaft driven cars.

But if belt driven is what you want, here's the ticket: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=84132

These cars are top spec and you'll end up spending less to just buy the whole package set up from jump street. My 2 cents worth anyway, plus they have plenty of delicious Blue Tamiya Goodness, so you've got that going for you.

The TT-01 is a entry level car with tons of available upgrades, which is good and bad. The real story is that you can spend 3-4x the cost of the original car and still have a TT-01 at the end of the day, and one of these cars will eat its lunch.

If you want to try a cheap version of drift to see if you like it, bang a set of Tamiya Drift Spec tires on any 4wd touring car and go hit the tennis courts. Even better if you lock the rear diff with a spare small bevel gear wedged between the 3x bevels on the spider gear. Again, it wouldn't hold a candle to the rigs linked above, but that's how I started. I still think the TL-01 is a decent budget drifter with nothing more than a set of tires, and I had a blast with it. Then, I spent too much money trying to build a drift spec chassis and wish I'd sprung for the TB-03 right away!!!

PS: Avoid Tamiya "D" Type drift tires, they are rubbish. "Drift Spec" is what you want. And TamiyaUSA is selling them for $8/pair so you can't lose.

PPS: Don't let the price scare you, the street price is around $400-460 and not the sky high price listed on Tamiya's site.

Sweet, i really like the TA-05 but will i be able to set up an LED rig inside it?

and what's your 2 cents on this? vvvvvv

Tamiya 1/10 TA03F Pro Drift Spec Chassis Kit

it could be me getting fooled by a nice picture lol

the TA05 is a good chassis, especially for drift as you can make it a Countersteer drift car easily.. and Countersteer is much more realistic, and fun to drive. LED's are easy to fit in any car, you just need the right bodyshell.

having run a shaftie (TB Evolution 3) and a belt drive (XRay T2R) i would concur with taliesan. shaft drives are typically more sealed up drivetrains, whereas belts can be prone to picking up small rocks and grit in the belt system, if you are drifting anywhere slightly dirty.

i personally think its better to look for an old racers chassis and use that as a base set up, as opposed to a brand new plastic cheapie. often racers sell their chassis off after a season, and they are more than up to the job of drift, with the bonus of carbon chassis plates, great suspension etc etc.

its very easy to convert a race chassis to drift. at the very least all that is required is drift tyres. its helpful to have a spool, or locked diff in the rear also, it makes the car slde more evenly and predictably

Thanks for all the input guys, hopefully i'll be able to post up my new setup in the near future :rolleyes:

expect a TA-05 for the least. i really like the setup of the VDS that taliesin showed me

Tamiya "Super Driftech" are the tyres you need, they are 24mm and need 24mm "medium/narrow" rims.

If you wish to use 26mm rims (many of Tamiya's wheels are 26mm) get HPI T-Drift tyres instead.

$667!!!!- I'm sorry man but that is outrageous! that's some expensive carbon fiber

I just bought a TT01D Toyota Supra and LOVE it I also got HPI 29mm/35mm wide drift wheels and tires for it and had to cut the rear 12mm hex to about 3mm thick (about 5mm off it as well as shave down the hex on the back of the wheels) for them to fit inside the body BUT they come with a full bearing kit, adjustable tie rods, plastic oil filled shocks, adjustable upper control arms not to mention better lower control arms, and a RS540 motor

I am looking at a Eagle Racing (one on Ebay) or 3 Racing graphite chassis's for future upgrade but will be keeping the electronics it has which is not Tamiya at all

I'll probably go 3 racing as we get a discount on Stella models through the site here and it's only $51/$57/$86 for the graphite chassis upgrade's VS. $150 for the Eagle racing kit (but it's front engine which is better BUT they only take Japan orders), the Tamiya kit posted is OUTRAGEOUS you cold buy 2 fully upgraded 3 racing cars for that $667... it better come RTR with a finished body of your choice for that price for me to buy it

Parts I'd upgrade right away are- center aluminum shaft, wheels/tires and lock the rear dif- I use a large thin washer on one of the dif side gears works great

You'll wanna buy some tools if you're looking into drifting-

4mm turnbuckle wrench for adjusting the camber (the kit supplied one's suck)

1.5mmx75mm ball allen wrench for a graphite chassis- use the kit supplied one with the stock chassis or you'll strip out the allen screws

Camber/toe gauges

60wt shock oil (I didn't use the kit supplied stuff cause I have AE 60wt left over from my Slash)

I won't be buying the cheap TT01 kits anymore after purchasing a TT01 drift kit they're so nice maybe be entry level but they're very nice for the money