Sign in to follow this  
gasaxe

steering servo mounting

Hi all, as you can see I am a little new to tamiya big rigs and tamiya kits in general. Anyway down to bissiness, I have just built a scania 620 (great build) and I have read somewhere that the ackaman angle is all wrong and by swopping the steering around put this right...????? is it just a case of swopping the uprights from left to right and vise-versa

Secondly putting the steering servo next to the gear shift servo,helps alot.How do you fit it all in.....?????

Thanks for any help in advance

P.S any other good mods would you advise

I'm not sure this is the issue, but GOZONE (knows a lot about these rigs), said this to me once about the Euro Trucks.

"Another tip: If you want to build an Euro-type truck, the front axle is on backwards.. Probably something to do with gearbox fitting etc., but if you build a US-type truck, the front axle is on the correct way from the start"

Maybe that is your issue?

Cheers,

Skottoman

I'm not sure this is the issue, but GOZONE (knows a lot about these rigs), said this to me once about the Euro Trucks.

"Another tip: If you want to build an Euro-type truck, the front axle is on backwards.. Probably something to do with gearbox fitting etc., but if you build a US-type truck, the front axle is on the correct way from the start"

Maybe that is your issue?

Cheers,

Skottoman

That's correct,to get the steering angle correct you need to install the front beam axle the other way round,you'll then find the connecting rod catches on the gearbox

Carson make a replacement that is bent so it clears the gearbox,or you could make your own with some M3 studding bent to shape(much cheaper!!)

That's correct,to get the steering angle correct you need to install the front beam axle the other way round,you'll then find the connecting rod catches on the gearbox

Carson make a replacement that is bent so it clears the gearbox,or you could make your own with some M3 studding bent to shape(much cheaper!!)

Hi thanks for the info, found how you do the mod on U-Tube, will put some picturs up when I have completed the mod

Actually, you CAN just bend the kit-supplied steering-rod, unscrew the turnbuckles a bit, and re-attach it, but then you also have to remove the screw / nut piece of plastic from the gearbox in order to avoid the rod fouling that place on the gearbox. :lol:

For the fitting of the sterringservo next to the gearshift-one, a mounting plate is a good idea to fab up. ;)

Looking forward to pics. :lol:

Cheers.

Michael

I used low profile servos and the two parts numbered 1 of the G sprue that comes with the MFU kit to get them set up the USA truck way also wedged them in and used hotmelt to hold them in place, the mounts are resting on the lower flange of the frame rails and the servos are lower than the top of the frame rails to give extra clearance to the motor

I have done this to the two tamiya trucks I have built and the third which I am building at the moment

GEDC0047.jpg

GEDC0045.jpg

GEDC0058.jpg

Hi that looks cool, I am running on a budget so unable to get some small servos. I used all parts from the kit to do my version of this mod.

I screwed the servos to the front cross member and used the gear shift servo mount to hold the rear end of the servos in place, I had to use two spacers from the kit "C" parts sprue.

The spacers give just the right amount of clearance ,betwean the bottom of the servos and the motor.

I also put the left upright on the right and vise-versa and bent the drag link (it is just about long enough). I have used the standard servo savers, but have ordered two low profile servo savers.

On my first test I found I had more lock on one side than the other.I got round this problem by off-setting the steering servo saver and lengthen the steer rod from the servo saver to the upright.

All done and dusted,

P.S sorry about the untidy wiring :-)

S8006168.JPG

S8006169.JPG

S8006170.JPG

S8006171.JPG

nice work on the steering mod to your truck

Thanks, what servos have you put in your truck...?????

That interior fabric is awesome!

"Hehe" thanks, got it from a dolls house shop, it was just crying out at me "fit me in your truck"

Had to be done

Thanks, what servos have you put in your truck...?????

I used two low profile servos that i got off ebay, they have metal gears and are branded bluebird

this picture shows the height difference between a standard servo and the low profile one

GEDC0080.jpg

this shows the underside of my Mercedes tractor unit, with the servos name showing

GEDC0115.jpg

Love them servos, looks like I will be moding a set of them servos in come pay day. "Hitting ebay as I speak" (doh I mean type).

I see the smaller servos allow you to run the steering arm betwean the chassis and the leaf spring, keeping the steering arm vertical

Love them servos, looks like I will be moding a set of them servos in come pay day. "Hitting ebay as I speak" (doh I mean type).

I see the smaller servos allow you to run the steering arm betwean the chassis and the leaf spring, keeping the steering arm vertical

I had to bend the steering arm slightly to gat the rod end to clear the leaf spring on the suspension