Wandy

How much is your collection worth?

Just sitting here bored, I decided to tally up what I think my collection is worth, based on the current average retail/ebay fetching price.

Adding up everything in my showroom & kits, builts, parts I haven't yet listed I came up with a figure of £4,000....and that's not including the Avante Black Special that is currently in the post.

What's your estimate figure for your collection of stuff, based on current market value? NIBs, New Builts, Runners, everything you have got....

I've no NIB, and i sold a few cars off before Xmas but i reckon my current collection is around £3000 for the cars as they stand today (installed motors etc)

On top of that i probably have a few hundred £s in spares (set of hi-caps, tyres/wheels etc) and another £200 in electrics (batteries, chargers, radio gear).

Not bad given i only a handful of cars worth over £100 and none of them are startling expensive..

Scorcher

Rough Rider

Brushless Rough Rider

Super Champ

Gmade R1

Modded Clod

I need a few 3 speeders to compete with you :lol:

Fortunately many of my cars are worth about what i initially paid for them and subsequently spent on parts for them, thanks to rising ebay prices. I only have a few, lthe bought new R1 and Rising Storm, and my wallet emptying Clod project, that are now worth less than they cost.

Frightening thing is, in September 2010 my RC collection was £0 as i had nothing :lol:

I've no NIB, and i sold a few cars off before Xmas but i reckon my current collection is around £3000 for the cars as they stand today (installed motors etc)

On top of that i probably have a few hundred £s in spares (set of hi-caps, tyres/wheels etc) and another £200 in electrics (batteries, chargers, radio gear).

Not bad given i only a handful of cars worth over £100 and none of them are startling expensive..

Scorcher

Rough Rider

Brushless Rough Rider

Super Champ

Gmade R1

Modded Clod

I need a few 3 speeders to compete with you ;)

Fortunately many of my cars are worth about what i initially paid for them and subsequently spent on parts for them, thanks to rising ebay prices. I only have a few, lthe bought new R1 and Rising Storm, and my wallet emptying Clod project, that are now worth less than they cost.

Frightening thing is, in September 2010 my RC collection was £0 as i had nothing sad. :lol:

£3,000 in under 18 months. Good stuff. :lol:

It's amazing how much the little things add up to isn't it? I myself have a large plastic bag just full of old servos, motors, MSCs, ESCs & receivers. It weighs a ton!

Just buy yourself a NIB Bruiser/Mountaineer/58001. That will take you comfortably over the £4K mark. ;)

Just buy yourself a NIB Bruiser/Mountaineer/Blazer. That will take you comfortably over the £4K mark. :lol:

Thats the plan - if only Tamiya would oblige with a re-re !

Thats the plan - if only Tamiya would oblige with a re-re !

That would only take you to about £3.5K. :lol:

Just sitting here bored, I decided to tally up what I think my collection is worth, based on the current average retail/ebay fetching price.

Adding up everything in my showroom & kits, builts, parts I haven't yet listed I came up with a figure of £4,000....and that's not including the Avante Black Special that is currently in the post.

What's your estimate figure for your collection of stuff, based on current market value? NIBs, New Builts, Runners, everything you have got....

Mate you've failed to leave your full address, and when your next on holiday :lol:

Mate you've failed to leave your full address, and when your next on holiday :lol:

:lol:

If certain posters that I have in mind post their figures up then believe me you will want to visit their houses way, way before mine. ;)

;)

If certain posters that I have in mind post their figures up then believe me you will want to visit their houses way, way before mine. ;)

mmmm time to get that red suit out again :lol: :lol:

There seems to be a difference between how much my collection is worth and how much I bought it for...

Right now I must be somewhere at $1700, including the spares I have.

I've got some mass produced japanese stuff :lol: , plus 3 unique scratchbuilt models I did myself, so quite simply -> PRICELESS :lol:

The only thing I can Say is................. Nowhere near the future investment I told the wife it will be :lol::lol:

I believe I can say this with near metaphysical certainty: less than I paid for it.

This.

i refuse to reply just in case my wife reads this :lol:

I gave your wife my login details :lol:

I believe I can say this with near metaphysical certainty: less than I paid for it.
quoted for truth- it is a buyers market :lol:

here is what I have into my 4 so far-

$450 into the Slash

$350 or so when the TT01D Supra is done

$250 into the General Lee

$200 into the Superbird

=

$1,250 just into the vehicles- that don't include the tools needed to complete them

But I've sold close to $500 of random stuff to get most of that

I dread to think! I know I've probably spent £5K+ in the last couple of years but what it's all worth now - I don't think I want to know!!

But to me it's been worth every penny. The hobby has given me and my kids so much enjoyment, and that's what it's all about - right?

In the US market mine are worth more as pieces than whole cars. Most of them are too modified to be vintage and Tamiya doesn't sell well in the states anymore anyway. Price tag is around 4k for the lot but selling them would be a 1/4th of that if I was lucky. With all that said my pat answer is "about a hundred dollars". I often feel like the Rainman when talking prices.

At first guess i thought it was about £750 at current prices, then i started thinking about the sticker sets,spares and other parts like motors and esc`s...then i realise I must be over £1000.........the £750 is a realistic/conservative valuation of the cars,they could quite easily be worth more, going by some of the prices I have seen them make on Ebay.

I promised myself "No more cars until I have finished a few" then went on eBay tonight & bought another project car........................

I really should get the parts i need to finish the others first, but just can`t resist a "bargain" old Tamiya that needs restoring..

On the upside, the cost of a few Tamiya pales into insignificance on what I have currently spent on my 1:1car resto project........If I totaled up the cost of the parts on the engine I am building for it in my kitchen, it would be about the same as your collection, Wandy.

The missus is happier for me to do my Tamiya`s than she is another 1:1 car

She asked why I `needed' so many Tamiyas...I replied that "I haven`t got many compared with a lot of people.......I guess its like women with shoes & clothes....we don`t `need' them we just WANT them" :)

I don't smoke, don't gamble, lots of Tamiyas, only one woman.

The wife can't argue with that :)

Interesting comments! So are we saying that the initial depreciation of an RC car following a few runs is even worse than that of buying a brand new 1:1 car and then selling it after a few thousand miles? If you pay ~£150 for a NIB re-re Hotshot, build it and then run it a few times so that the chassis gets some minor scratching then throw it on ebay your probably going to lose around 40% of it's value. Not good.

Seeing that most people so far have said that their collection has lost value one way or another I guess this is one way of highlighting that collecting RC kits is not really an investment. :)

Well I've been in the RC hobby for close to 30 years and haven't sold much either ,almost scared to add it all up to be honest. I have a lot of planes to add to the too many rc cars and trucks. don't even want to start adding up the extra engines glow and electric. :) someday I'll get them all in my show room.

If you need back-up tires for your back-up tires you have both hands in the cookie jar!