Wandy

How much is your collection worth?

If you need back-up tires for your back-up tires you have both hands in the cookie jar!

Hey now, I resemble that remark. Foam tires are hard to get and they wear fast and.............ya your probably right.

If you need back-up tires for your back-up tires you have both hands in the cookie jar!

I have two sets of rims that cost more together than the car they're for :)

I picked up the white 956 for the tires on it, that doesn't count right?

Only if you post the car without tyres on to me :)

I would have to sit down and figure this out. I then may have to readjust the value on my insurance policy. :)

Does this include all the extras you spend on these things called hop ups?

Does this include all the extras you spend on these things called hop ups?

Everything. :)

I did the math on car vs add ons not too long ago. For the dozen cars the average cost was 67.00. Then the average add on per car was 280.00. That was motors and bodies and ECS. The 956s were the tire problem with a couple hundred in trial and error getting them to hook up. I only have spare fronts for them, unless I go back to foam. Even the non runner BT is right in the same bottom line price. So my cost is around 4000 with a resale value as whole cars around 1000. I learned a long time ago that what I see as a feature someone else will see as a defect. The closer to bone stock or NIB you get the higher the retail value gets.

Hmm i have 3 and a half car's at the moment but it seem's i'm at the top of a slippery slope and i'm wearing my teflon shoes. :o

I think this depends on region to a certain degree. In North Carolina, for example, I watch the local forums and Craigslist and see there are quite a few Associated, Losi, HPI, Ofna, and Traxxas vehicles being sold and traded. I very rarely see Tamiya vehicles for sale. The few I do see are usually modified Clodbusters, a random TNX or Terra Crusher, and old touring cars. I'm pretty certain if I put my collection up for sale in this part of the world the cars themselves would only be worth about 20-30% of what I paid for them while the electronics (radios, receivers, servos, brushless systems, batteries, chargers, etc.) might be worth 50-60%.

Low regional demand, non-box art paint schemes, and in some cases unique customizations = low resale value for the vehicles, around 20-30% here I think.

There's a trust factor when buying used electronics and a point where it makes sense to just buy new to avoid the risk, so I think 50-60% is roughly that breakpoint.

Let's call it 40% on average here.

Hard to say for sure, but my stuff is probaby worth $2k USD at this point... Locally people are much more interested in 1/8 nitro, 1/8 e-buggy, and short course trucks than anything else. There's a little bit of dirt oval racing, and some parking lot touring car racing as well. I definitely wouldn't make any money if I sold everything.

-Paul

bruiser, avante,boomerang hotshot and 4 optimas dont een want to think about what ive spent. but its a hobby keeps me busy thats all that matters

With all the re-releases my collection is probably worth the loose change in my pocket now :/

With all the re-releases my collection is probably worth the loose change in my pocket now :/

You must have large, DEEP, pockets :o

I guess my smallish collection must have cost @£2000

as far as the wife is concerned I spent around £200 :o

What its worth now.....now where near £2000 but to me, its priceless

There's a guy here locally that decided to sell off his collection. He has over 100 cars by numerous makers and at least 30 Tamiya. He's advertised on Craigslist and has gotten almost no responce. In fact he's only had one buyer, me. One very pristine MU runner went across the border and it's price was 130. 2+ 959s and the original Hornet were 210, 4+ formula cars with 2 NIB and the BT50 sold for 250. I've pretty much chosen the models and the price and when purchased in groups has been really low in my opinion. These buys have also included tires and wheels and bodies for all sorts of cars. I also see the local adds for mostly off road stuff and the higher priced ones never sell. With everything out there new to choose from the used market is a buyers market. I think 40% is very optimistic, I'd say it's more like 25 or 30. The biggest problem is spare parts, for any Tamiya you pay a premium if you can even find what you need. I'd like to have an XJR or a new Toms but parts will soon be impossible for them and the higher price has me thinking about not getting nailed on both ends. I can buy F cars on Ebay for 65 to 125 all day and those you can still get parts for. Of the cars in my collection, one of every model type is a designated parts car. It's a requirement if you choose to run them. In short, the value of your collection is what they're worth to you because to sell them is more grief and loss than it's worth. We all bought them for our own reasons so we might as well enjoy them in our own ways.

I must have spent about 8-9k over the last year and a half on vintage nib kits rc and static. Ive gone mad!

This is a very dangerous topic. If you where honest and actually posted your answer here you are

A: Publicly announcing to your wife how much you actually spend, not what you admitted too.

B: Giving said wife ammunition for getting you to buy that new kitchen/patio/conservatory you keep promising her.

C: Giving your wife an unlimited amount of brownie points back you have earned over the years, so now you will have to decorate the living room for her, put up the shelf (insert boring menial job here you have been dodging for the last 3 years as you would rather be in the workshop)

My wife has learned that men think this is a safe place to witter about what we are up to in the workshop or bought. She uses it to "gather intelligence" on me and my mate for his wife too. :D .....................shh she's coming.............act casual ;)

For the purposes of my divorce, my collection was valued at 15k. I end up having to give her my infiniti g35 just to keep my toys

At a guess mine would be worth about 3-4k. I have a mate who has 40k worth of really rare nib & new build cars, mainly old yokomo, nichimo, ayk, losi, ae, kyosho & some other ridiculously rare stuff. He needed a new 1:1 car, so he ebayed 3 cars & got $4500!

For the purposes of my divorce, my collection was valued at 15k. I end up having to give her my infiniti g35 just to keep my toys

That's horrible! In my divorce, my ex-wife forgot all about the actual value of my RC's. She wouldn't want them anyway, but to have to give up half the value? That sux!

I decided a long time ago that if I get the urge to date, I should look into buyimg a new Ferrari. The curves stay where they belong, and the payments are less. A hobby is seldom used in a divorce unless you claim a high dollar figure there. Mine are worth nothing to anyone else or at best a depreciated percent of the purchase price. Just a bit of advice, if sold 6 months prior to filing, the procedes aren't held against you in a divorce no matter the price. Proving you sold the lot to a friend to just buy them back later is pretty hard.

I decided a long time ago that if I get the urge to date, I should look into buyimg a new Ferrari. The curves stay where they belong, and the payments are less. A hobby is seldom used in a divorce unless you claim a high dollar figure there. Mine are worth nothing to anyone else or at best a depreciated percent of the purchase price. Just a bit of advice, if sold 6 months prior to filing, the procedes aren't held against you in a divorce no matter the price. Proving you sold the lot to a friend to just buy them back later is pretty hard.

I had a friend who hid a 1:1 Dodge Charger that way during a divorce...though I don't think he claimed it sold.

A business that I closed and liquidated, pieces and parts held for a collector car worth nothing in the divorce that was later restored. I had parts on hold in 4 countries. But back on topic, are the vintage radios worth anything? I'm still looking at those to add to the collection and possibly a vintage Subaru Brat, not run or even painted. Some of the collection is already claimed by my daughter so no sale from here. She likes the slow and off road so it works out. They are just for fun

I just did a rough calculation and I was quite surprised. Just the value of my cars is about € 8800,-

Not included are all my nib vintage batteries, tires, R/C Guide Books, aluminum wheels and other spares.

Thomas

I just did a rough calculation and I was quite surprised. Just the value of my cars is about € 8800,-

Not included are all my nib vintage batteries, tires, R/C Guide Books, aluminum wheels and other spares.

Thomas

loooooooool,,be careful,,,,now everyone will come to ur house... :)

loooooooool,,be careful,,,,now everyone will come to ur house... :)

Naaaaa!! There are many others on here where it really is worth to give them a short visit. :) But certainly not me.