Sign in to follow this  
wildone85

Mad fighter

I need some advice.

I had a wild One in the 80's and want to get back into the hobby.

I love the look of the mad fighter. Its got the roll cage and the realistic look of a proper off road buggy. Rather than something that belongs on the deck of an aircraft carrier. Can anyone recommend this car or is it a glorified toy from the Shizouka city boys. Can it be souped up? What about the rolling rigid rear axel? Would love some input.

Cheer

I had the Fighter Buggy for a first car. They are very robust kits that don't easily break. Their chassis design is quite spartan, handling is not that good. The gearcase if very very stong and can handle hotter motors as well. It's not really a toy but also not really a 'top-of-the-range' model.

If you like the body much, you could also try out the Bear Hawk, if you find one. [:D] It's technically on a somehwat higher standard as well, but it has that rollcage you like so much as the body if practically the same! [:D] The Bear Hawk doesn't come with the rear wing though.

The RCCA boys hopped up their Mad Fighter to clock 80+ mph some issues back. Drivetrain looks bulletproof.

However the suspension design is more "Grasshopper" than anything, with a solid rear floppy axle and chicken-wing fronts. The Wild One's suspension is probably more sophisticated than MF... [:P]

I picked one up NIB in HK a couple of months back for HKD250. That's about USD35!!!

Looks decent and like wildone85, I like the hard plastic body shell. Paint the rear cage silver and you have a nice looking buggy. Add some oil shocks and bearings plus a 11 turn motor and it should be real fun to run.

BTW I think the chassis tub has grasshopper 2 incribe on it.

Mad Fighters were asking at about HK$360 in Jan/03. This is opening price, didn't bother to start bargaining as I wasn't buying.