Sign in to follow this  
Meakz1973

2 pole vs 4 pole BL motor differences.

Hi guys,

Can someone explain the basic differences between a 2 pole and 4 pole brushless motor please?

Specifically I have the 1st issue Castle Creations 4600kv Sidewinder which I believe is 2 pole. I'm thinking of putting it in the Axial EXO terra buggy, but the suggested minimum power plant is 540 motor, 3300kv, 4 pole for this 4.9 lb buggy.

Will my Sidewinder be powerful enough?

Cheers

Hi guys,

Can someone explain the basic differences between a 2 pole and 4 pole brushless motor please?

Specifically I have the 1st issue Castle Creations 4600kv Sidewinder which I believe is 2 pole. I'm thinking of putting it in the Axial EXO terra buggy, but the suggested minimum power plant is 540 motor, 3300kv, 4 pole for this 4.9 lb buggy.

Will my Sidewinder be powerful enough?

Cheers

The Castle 4600KV is a 4 pole motor . What this means in use is that it will produce about 40% more torque than a standard 2 pole motor of the same rating . These are very high quality motors and fully programable . A 4600 will handle the weight of a 4.9 lb buggy with ease .

Thanks for the quick repsonse.

I see that the current CC 4600kvs are 4 pole, and that they advertise 40% more power than the original motors( which is what I have) Do you know whether the older Sidewinders are 4 pole though? And what does it even mean anyway?!

cheers

Thanks for the quick repsonse.

I see that the current CC 4600kvs are 4 pole, and that they advertise 40% more power than the original motors( which is what I have) Do you know whether the older Sidewinders are 4 pole though? And what does it even mean anyway?!

cheers

ok in simple terms a motor has to sets of magnets or poles that cause it to spin . in a 4 pole you have two sets . therefore they produce more torque - power . The original sidewinder had two poles . Have a read of this .

http://pcbheaven.com/wikipages/How_Brushless_Motors_Work/

thanks for the link.

I'll install my 2 pole Sidewinder and see how powerful it is for this car. It certainly worked well in my Dark Impact, but it weighs very little.

Cheers

Your old motor should be fine, but if there are different gearing options i'd go for the smaller pinion due to the lower motor torque.

I bought a Castle Sidewinder SV2 system when they first came out -- $99 at Tower Hobbies last January -- and it included the CM36 5700kV 2-pole motor with it. A few months later that combination was discontinued and now the SV2 system ships with the 1406 4-pole motor. I wish I would have waited a little longer and picked up the system with a 1406 instead; the 2-pole CM36 needs 14:1 to 12:1 gearing to run acceptably in a 4WD buggy that only weighs 3.5 lbs, but I suspect the 1406 might tolerate 12:1 or 10:1 gearing given the better efficiency.

Given the weight of the EXO Terra and how close it is to a short course truck, you may want to look at this advisory from Castle: http://www.castlecreations.com/support/adv...k-advisory.html. They do not recommend Sidewinder for heavier vehicles, and they are suggesting some really high gearing, like 12/90 or 14/90 assuming 2.6 transmission ratio for 4600 kV and 5700 kV motors.

If you want to go with Castle, take a look at their Sidewinder SCT Edition which includes the 4-pole 1410 motor rated at 3800 kV. I think the Sidewinder SCT ESC is similar to the Mamba in terms of power handling, and the 1410 is better than the 1406, which is better than the CM36. Right now you can get the SCT system at Tower Hobbies for $145, which will run much cooler than the Sidewinder SV2 systems they are selling for $140.

I would not put a first edition Sidewinder and 2-pole CM36 in a 5 lb vehicle, in my opinion.

-Paul

The 1410 should be perfect for the EXO. I have the Sidewinder 1410 combo in my SC104x4 and it's a missle! I am planning on getting an EXO and that's what I'll be putting in it. So excited to get the EXO. PS, your 2pole should be ok, just gear it to run 130-140F motor and 120-130F max on ESC. On a side note, I now race my SC104x4 with the new Tekin 4pole and that motor is a beast! It runs amazing at about 160-170F and I'd never run a Castle that hot.

Is there much tech info on how they set up thier ESC? I've got an inductive that runs too hot and any info is a good thing.

Is there much tech info on how they set up thier ESC? I've got an inductive that runs too hot and any info is a good thing.

http://www.castlecreations.com/downloads.html . This is the link to the castle softwear that is used to program the ESC via a PC . Worth a look because almost all the settings are adjustable

http://www.castlecreations.com/downloads.html . This is the link to the castle softwear that is used to program the ESC via a PC . Worth a look because almost all the settings are adjustable

Don't forget you need a Castle Link or a field programming card to adjust the settings properly. (Trying to do it with the controller and the flashing LED's is long, laborious and very difficult)