Durdey

Lunch box upgrading motor

Hi I m new here and to models in general just after a bit of advise i ve just upgraded my lunchmotor to a gt tuned tamiya motor and to be honest I m a bit disappointed as there seems to be no noticeable difference in speed both I and my son have a lunch box one has stock can but there both still same speed the gt motor just wheelie s abit more when pulling away, can anyone suggest a motor which will give the lunchbox a bit more umph.??

Tamiya SuperStock RZ maybe? Should have some oomph without making the box undrivable

Welcome to the club Durdey :D

How fast you can go depends what you want to spend, the lunchbox gearbox is tough and will take a fairly powerfull brushless system.

Mymonsterbeetleisbroken (a member here) has a crazy brushless system in his pumpkin which is the same chassis, just a different body.

Here's a link to it

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...977&id=2088

One step at a time wolfdog my misses alreay moaning about all this mysterious packages coming through the post, faster but not bank breaking

One step at a time wolfdog my misses alreay moaning about all this mysterious packages coming through the post, faster but not bank breaking

:D , The ezrun 9t combo is probably the cheapest brushless option, I had a 19T peak racing raven SV2 motor in my pumpkin which was pretty fast and also worked with the standard Tamiya ESC, although the ESC wasn't rated for this motor, maybe I got lucky?

Even a 13t Ezrun gives it a good turn of speed, don't go lower on a brushed motor than a 19t, they get silly then.

Have you tried using a Lipo battery? The extra oomph from these makes a massive difference, although add a lead weight to it as the lightweight battery means they are even more top heavy.

Try a Parma lexan Lunch Box shell to reduce the weight up top. The vehicle wheelies and handles better with less weight.

For a brushless motor system anything rated around 3300kV to 3900kV should give you plenty of kick for a Lunch Box. A cheap brushless system will be more cost effective over the long run vs. buying a new ESC and a 19T brushed motor.

Upgrade to ball bearings throughout the whole drivetrain to cut friction and achieve higher top speed.

I prefer to keep the stock undamped suspension; I tried it with CVA oil dampers once and they absorbed some of the starting energy, making it more difficult to pull wheelies.

-Paul

The 21t Super Stock BZ (the one for offroading) is a good motor, and balances well if you're considering battery runtime. And Tamiya motors are tough. You won't have problems with them.

The stock ESC will be able to handle the BZ, even though it's rated for 27t motors. Mine handled the BZ just fine, no overheating or anything. But from what I read it really depends on your particular unit.

If you ever upgrade to a better ESC that can handle lower turn motors, try a 13 turn motor. You'll be losing in runtime, but you'll be satisfied with the speed. Cheap ESCs for brushed motors exist for as low as 20 dollars.

(A fast 13t motor costs 20 dollars. A BZ costs 40 dollars. I'd recommend getting the ESC upgrade and 13t motor, if anything.)

How many Mah does your battery have? I have a 3800mah NIMH battery. The BZ lasts about 30 minutes with it. The 13t maybe about 20 minutes. The stock lasted about 40 minutes.

BUT...

If you upgrade to a BZ or anything faster, you'll need many different upgrades, as a number of things on your LB will become that much more likely to break -- body mounts, the wire springs, as well as the body itself.

Let me know if you're interested in the cheapest way to upgrade the body mounts. I've come across the best upgrade that's not going to break the chassis or cost you more than 10 dollars.

BTW, the Parma is good. But that'll be a project itself. I recently finished mine and all in all it cost me a little over 50 dollars -- 3 cans of paint, 1 clear primer, 1 clear coat, pack of sticker paper, masking tape, reamers, and the parma shell. Obviously, that's a boatload of additional money invested in a shell. If you feel you to do the parma thing, buy two shells. One for show and one you won't give a **** about.

Try a Parma lexan Lunch Box shell to reduce the weight up top. The vehicle wheelies and handles better with less weight.

For a brushless motor system anything rated around 3300kV to 3900kV should give you plenty of kick for a Lunch Box. A cheap brushless system will be more cost effective over the long run vs. buying a new ESC and a 19T brushed motor.

Upgrade to ball bearings throughout the whole drivetrain to cut friction and achieve higher top speed.

I prefer to keep the stock undamped suspension; I tried it with CVA oil dampers once and they absorbed some of the starting energy, making it more difficult to pull wheelies.

-Paul

I ll take a look at the Parma lexan shell first i ve heard of it to be honest, I have upgraded the bearings through out it does make a big differnce alot smoother and quicker, pleased you mentioned the shocks that was the next thing i was looking at doing might not bother now thanks

<_<:)

The 21t Super Stock BZ (the one for offroading) is a good motor, and balances well if you're considering battery runtime. And Tamiya motors are tough. You won't have problems with them.

The stock ESC will be able to handle the BZ, even though it's rated for 27t motors. Mine handled the BZ just fine, no overheating or anything. But from what I read it really depends on your particular unit.

If you ever upgrade to a better ESC that can handle lower turn motors, try a 13 turn motor. You'll be losing in runtime, but you'll be satisfied with the speed. Cheap ESCs for brushed motors exist for as low as 20 dollars.

(A fast 13t motor costs 20 dollars. A BZ costs 40 dollars. I'd recommend getting the ESC upgrade and 13t motor, if anything.)

How many Mah does your battery have? I have a 3800mah NIMH battery. The BZ lasts about 30 minutes with it. The 13t maybe about 20 minutes. The stock lasted about 40 minutes.

BUT...

If you upgrade to a BZ or anything faster, you'll need many different upgrades, as a number of things on your LB will become that much more likely to break -- body mounts, the wire springs, as well as the body itself.

Let me know if you're interested in the cheapest way to upgrade the body mounts. I've come across the best upgrade that's not going to break the chassis or cost you more than 10 dollars.

BTW, the Parma is good. But that'll be a project itself. I recently finished mine and all in all it cost me a little over 50 dollars -- 3 cans of paint, 1 clear primer, 1 clear coat, pack of sticker paper, masking tape, reamers, and the parma shell. Obviously, that's a boatload of additional money invested in a shell. If you feel you to do the parma thing, buy two shells. One for show and one you won't give a **** about.

i was looking at the BZ and the RZ before i got the GT i think i should have gone with one of them to be honest, well i ve already broke body mounts, shell and all the windows (sun roof still in one piece) by jumping of a half pipe and landing on its roof that was with the stock can so god knows what damage i d do with one of them bad boys ......... i ve replaced bogy mounts with aliuminum ones, so ive already got a shell that i don t give a **** about haha

Even a 13t Ezrun gives it a good turn of speed, don't go lower on a brushed motor than a 19t, they get silly then.

Have you tried using a Lipo battery? The extra oomph from these makes a massive difference, although add a lead weight to it as the lightweight battery means they are even more top heavy.

i ve been thinking of getting a 4500mah battery as mine only a 2300 is the difference between the lipo and a 4500mah for example massive or just slight, problem being what ever i get for my LB i ll end up having to get my son the same he ll not like mine been alot faster than his haha

The numbers are the capacity of the batteries, so the bigger the number, the longer it will run, plus a Lipo is 7.4v to a Nimh's 7.2v.

Lipo batteries have a better 'punch' off of the line, so much so it will suprise you. Once you try them, you'll wonder why you didn't try it sooner.

Besides the thoughts I mentioned earlier, two other things I did included:

- The kit "shocks" have 18 mm lengths of tubing installed to limit the compression of the suspension. With the leftover tubing I cut four 3 mm lengths and installed them under the heads of the shock bolts to quiet the clatter between the shock bolts and the tub chassis. This also reduces the droop of the front suspension favorably.

- For the two brackets (D7 and D8) that hold the gearbox shaft in place, I didn't bother with the small kit springs since they are prone to breaking. Also, I hate the thunking noise the gearbox makes when doing a wheely with these springs. And when the springs break, the noise is even worse. For Lunch Box #2, I wedged some leftover sprue material in D7 and D8 to rigidly hold the shaft flat relative to the tub. The gearbox is only free to pivot up and down, not side to side. This keeps the chassis pretty flat while cornering, but it also makes the rear end a little more bouncy. Some people do the "third shock mod" which is installing a mini CVA between the center of the gearbox and the tub, and leave the small springs out of D7 and D8. The third shock mod is more refined than my sprue wedges.

We have three Lunch Boxes, two for the kids and one for me. A local gentleman has been kind enough to maintain a public dirt RC track at a nearby park, so I've taken the kids there a few times and we've had some fun with our Lunch Box Racing League.

-Paul