Sign in to follow this  
Torhaantje

Painting lexan on the outside

TS paint simply won't stick.

PS paint is designed to etch into Lexan and is the only good paint to use. Otherwise the paint will just flake and peel off.

hello

well if i was doing what u are doing i would first clean the outside with mephs and the spray with flexible plastic primer ( you can get both in any auto shop eg halfords ). i have sprayed car bumpers and wing mirrors with this and its lasted until i sold car. iam a painter and decorator by trade and use plastic primers and loads of plastics over the years. hope this helps.

How would a matt or satin clear coat work directly on the lexan? The reason I ask is that painting lexan from the back gives your paint job some protection from scrapes and rolls etc. If you were to do a normal paint job from the back but spray a couple of coats of matt or satin clear over the outside of the lexan, you could get ride of the shiny finish you don't like but still get the protection lexan offers. Just a suggestion.

Seems to me that I read about someone scuffing up either the inside or the outside of the Lexan shell to give a matte finish. It may have been something in TC member Wyoming's showroom?

You could always paint on the inside as normal and use Tamiya PS-55 Flat Clear on the outside.

Link

This would give you protected colour coats and a flatter finish. Just don't forget to mask any windows on the outside as well. They can look a bit odd with a flat finish.

Hi all,

I am in the middle of my Bronco project:

http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?c...561&id=5123

I am plannig to paint the lexan body on the outside, because I don't like the shiny look of the body when ainted on the inside. What kind of preperations should I make and should I use PS or TS paints? :D

All tips are more the welcom!

:o

Rick

I've painted many lexan shells on the outside with success , see my King Cab here

http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?c...35&sid=5280

It is painted with Halfords plastic primer / filler base ,with Halfords primer for each colour ,then Halfords top colours - no lacquer coats

I've painted many lexan shells on the outside with success , see my King Cab here

http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?c...35&sid=5280

It is painted with Halfords plastic primer / filler base ,with Halfords primer for each colour ,then Halfords top colours - no lacquer coats

+ 1 Halfords plastic primer . Once you have a good base away you go . I'd key the lexan with 800 wet and dry first though to give the primer something to bond to

You can loose the glossy lexan look easily by spraying the outside with a matt varnish. Ive used a normal modelling Humbrol varnish to dull a few lexan bodies and it works extremely well. The varnish sticks to the lexan very well, just remember to mask any windows or headlight lenses you want to stay clear. The benefit is your paint work stays protected on the inside.

Look at the bottom of the thread below (post #16) for a lexan Beatle body that's been painted on the inside with normal modelling acrylics, then sprayed with a Humbrol matt varnish rattle can on the outside. It goes very very matt :)

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...c=62173&hl=

:) Guys thanks for all the input sofar! Painting on the inside and adding varnish on the outside never crossed my mind! Hower: the colorscheme I am aiming for, should be easier applied to the outside...mmmmh :(

If painted on the outside: is Tamiya plastic primer as good as Halfords? And after priming should I use TS or PS paints?

Rick

Here's a link to a nice tutorial discussing ways to get a matte/flat finish, including the rust-through look: