76capri

Fox Dogbone axles (Any cross reference Parts?)

I managed to get a Thorp Dog bone differential and dog bones for my Tamiya Fox. However, I do not have the axle shafts.

I took one look at my re-re Hotshot and thought ah-ha! No good. Seems they are dimensionally the same, but the dog bone ends are smaller in the re-re hotshot, so the Thorp Fox dog bones don't fit.

There MUST be a car that I can get dog bone axles shafts from. I'm positive my long since gone Traxxas Wildcat had the right parts.

Did the original hotshot use larger dog bones? Any other suggestions?

I managed to get a Thorp Dog bone differential and dog bones for my Tamiya Fox. However, I do not have the axle shafts.

I took one look at my re-re Hotshot and thought ah-ha! No good. Seems they are dimensionally the same, but the dog bone ends are smaller in the re-re hotshot, so the Thorp Fox dog bones don't fit.

There MUST be a car that I can get dog bone axles shafts from. I'm positive my long since gone Traxxas Wildcat had the right parts.

Did the original hotshot use larger dog bones? Any other suggestions?

Original hotshot , boomerang , super shot , hotshot 2 , big wig all the same big . Re re ones are smaller dog through too the axles etc .

So i would look at , the above options maybe ??..... Good luck .

Original hotshot , boomerang , super shot , hotshot 2 , big wig all the same big . Re re ones are smaller dog through too the axles etc .

So i would look at , the above options maybe ??..... Good luck .

I purchased a set of silver front original hotshot axle shafts on ebay. A $9 US gamble. Let's see how this works...If they don't it's off to the machine shop....

Front axle shafts are 1 o 2 mm shorter than rear ones. Hope they work anyway.

Max

I purchased a set of silver front original hotshot axle shafts on ebay. A $9 US gamble. Let's see how this works...If they don't it's off to the machine shop....

Front axle shafts are 1 o 2 mm shorter than rea. Hope they work anyway.

Max

Shorter how? in the axle shaft length? I'll have to take apart my re-re hotshot again and look at the difference. The re-re part physically fit but the dog bone didn't. Well I'll find out soon enough...

No, the cup is shorter. This is the reason rear are black and front are silver.

Max

Shorter how? in the axle shaft length? I'll have to take apart my re-re hotshot again and look at the difference. The re-re part physically fit but the dog bone didn't. Well I'll find out soon enough...

Hmm...I gather it will still work, but may not be optimal....

I'll update this when I get the part in.

On a side note, there is a bloke selling dog bones reasonably cheap on EBAY. Check item 260941181945 if anyone interested!

Cheers

Tried the vintage hotshot front axles. They work, but if the cups for the rear are a bit longer they would be a better solution.

Got a new vintage set of Hotshot rear axle shafts. They are only marginally better than the front set of axles...

So, for those who care both the front and rear hotshot axles will work on a Fox when converting to dog bones.

Far easier and cheaper to find than the Thorp Axles and both work just as well. The Hotshot rears are preferable to the fronts.

Ok boys,

So I got all of the parts in and finally had time to take measurements and pics. Unfortunately my SLR ran out of batteries as soon as I powered it up to do this, so we've got crappy cell phone pics.

I took measurements I thought most would want. If you guys want any other measurements taken, just let me know. I'm gonna install these into my runner tomorrow, so please let me know before then. The pics are for reference, so the measurements on the caliper are correct, and the cals are just held close to what I was measuring.

The dog bones came with instructions (pics of the instructions are below as well) saying to limit the shock. I'm not sure how this is gonna work for me, as I put longer bottoms on the CVAs to put more pressure on the rear tires. We'll see how it goes.

The dog bones had some rust on them, and I used a scotch-brite pad to clean them up. The shafts I painted (HEMI Orange) to protect them. I didn't want paint on the ends for obvious reasons.

Ok guys, here's a ton of pics and measurements for ya.

fox-thorpe-axles-001.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-002.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-003.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-004.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-005.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-006.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-007.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-008.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-009.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-010.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-011.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-012.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-013.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-014.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-015.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-016.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-017.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-018.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-019.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-020.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-021.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-022.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-023.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-024.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-025.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-026.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-027.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-028.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-029.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-030.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-031.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-032.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-033.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-034.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-035.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-036.jpg

fox-thorpe-axles-037.jpg

I hope this helps. I don't know the lengths and specs on the Tamiya dog bones and universal sets, but I'm hoping with this info we can find an inexpensive alterative to the Thorpe setups.

• Like 1

Good stuff BadWagon!

Did you check the wheel nut and thread pitch of the axle? I'm sure the nut is larger than normal (Tamiya tool doesn't fit on it) and the thread pitch is different to what's normally on a Tamiya. I know mine are anyway because I tried to fit a set of anodized wheel nuts and had to change my plans and fit the Thorp nuts on the rear instead.

I suppose the Thorpe wheel axles can be replaced with Tamiya ones... or not?

Max

EDIT: probably with the vintage Hot Shot Boomerang axles. The new aone are Thundershot ones that are smaller.

I think that is possible shorten a modern cvd axle imho.

Max

Good stuff BadWagon!

Did you check the wheel nut and thread pitch of the axle? I'm sure the nut is larger than normal (Tamiya tool doesn't fit on it) and the thread pitch is different to what's normally on a Tamiya. I know mine are anyway because I tried to fit a set of anodized wheel nuts and had to change my plans and fit the Thorp nuts on the rear instead.

I didn't check it. It's definitely larger than stock. Ill take a comparison pic tonight. I don't have a thread gage here. It would be nice to know the size though wouldn't it?

I'm running black axial nuts on it now. Guess I.m gonna have to paint the Thorpes or figure something out.

Meh, function before fashion. I bet I can polish them up nice.

I suppose the Thorpe wheel axles can be replaced with Tamiya ones... or not?

Max

EDIT: probably with the vintage Hot Shot Boomerang axles. The new aone are Thundershot ones that are smaller.

I think that is possible shorten a modern cvd axle imho.

Max

What are the sizes of axles currently available?

Has anyone looked at other brands' sizes?

If we can find the universals, the rest we can piece together.

I already want a few longer dog bone choices. My fox likes camber all the way around.

Threw the Thorpes in and, limiting the rear shocks is a must. One dog bone fell out in less tha 15 ft.

Pics tomorrow.

I have a Falcon set of universals, dogbones and axles but no wheel nuts. I would love to know the thread pitch/size also so I can use them one day.

I have a Falcon set of universals, dogbones and axles but no wheel nuts. I would love to know the thread pitch/size also so I can use them one day.

Ok, I'll bring them with me and go find the thread. Kinda seems like overkill with the huge axle and wheel nut. Looks really goofy. These may be getting turned down and threaded to the stock thread.

I also don't like having to use two different sized wrenches. I swap all four wheels regularly. It's already a pain and I've only done it once.

Put the stock shock end on and it looks like this set up will work.

I'm gonna test it tomorrow. I didn't want to drop a dog bone in the dark

was running ok, but I jumped it into the driveway, it rolled and a bone fell out...

to tell the truth, it was driving like ****. The front end was back to bouncing all around in the bumps. Argh... meh.

So my dialed in Fox, now needs the whole suspension gone over. I've gotten some good info from Mad Racer, and I'm gonna put it to use.

The front end was bouncing because the rear is now lower than the front (pretty much like it is stock) which is just such a horrible set up. I think I'm gonna have to pick up some shorter, higher quality shocks for it, front and rear, so that I can get it dialed in and level.

Anybody know off the top of their head what the length is of the stock CVAs on the Fox??