OCD

58511 1/10 NISSAN TITAN RACING

If somebody wants to take a look at the manual before the release, to check which parts exclusive to the Nissan Titan (aside from body, :lol: ), see here:

http://www.tamiya.de/de/produkte/rcmodella...ArtNr=300058511

(right side, Downloads "Bauanleitung (PDF)", manual includes English language too)

No manual for download yet on Tamiya USA.

Just looked through the instruction manual... Relative to a Sand Viper, there are some downsides:

- Plastic upper suspension arms and screw pins instead of ball connectors and threaded shafts

- Ball bearings in the gear box, but only nylon bushings in the hubs

- 17T pinion instead of 19T pinion

- Plastic outdrives, dogbones, and axles instead of metal parts

- The front damper stay brace is nothing special, it's just a few ball connectors and a threaded rod

I don't think an extra $30 justifies the Nissan shell, especially since the mechanical content is downgraded from the Sand Viper. These two kits should be priced about the same.

Tamiya really needs to make oil dampers and full ball bearings standard in all their kits. This friction damper and nylon bushing junk has got to go.

-Paul

• Like 1

looks like the oil shock pistons are one piece metal.

I can't believe it has plastic outdrives

Seriously, then need to just release an XTerra on the XC chassis and stop wasting time with the Titan B)

• Like 1

O.K., so I'm doing a little self-promotion, but much like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree, there is a way to turn this lemon into something that doesn't look too shabby. Check out my showroom for pictures and details! :blink: So, like most Tamiya kits, this one is great for customization and your own personal touch!

Steve

Whell, i have a DT02 chassis with a scratched body and i'll replace with the Titan body. I only have to find the body posts #10004776. Unfortunatelly Sand Viper, Desert Gator and MS bodies are impossible to find.

• Like 1

O.K., so I'm doing a little self-promotion, but much like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree, there is a way to turn this lemon into something that doesn't look too shabby. Check out my showroom for pictures and details! B) So, like most Tamiya kits, this one is great for customization and your own personal touch!

Steve

looks great!

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=114000&sid=24261

Tamiya 58552 Asterion

Tamiya 58537 Desert Fielder

and

Tamiya 1825673 Ford F-150

have the same wheelbase of 255mm the Titan is 200mm wide, the above between 190 and 195mm

12 hours ago, waterbok said:

Tamiya 58552 Asterion

Tamiya 58537 Desert Fielder

and

Tamiya 1825673 Ford F-150

have the same wheelbase of 255mm the Titan is 200mm wide, the above between 190 and 195mm

Thanks for the info, I am thinking of buying the titan kit and want to be sure I can find spare bodies for it. sadly I cant find any that would cover the wheels, or any 200mm wide.

The DT02 chassis is well-loved and makes a great basher, but this particular variant isn't the best deal.  It's usually sold for a fair bit more than the Sand Viper or Desert Gator buggies, which share the same chassis, but it lacks the adjustable upper arms and full bearings of the buggy models.  So you're getting a better deal with the Sand Viper (incidentally, modelsport currently show the Sand Viper at £125 and the Nissan Titan at £139).

For a while, I really wanted to get one of these.  My daily driver is a silver Nissan Elgrand with a camper conversion, and my plan had been to buy a Nissan-bodied off road Tamiya that I could mount to the camper interior as a feature-piece-plus-always-available-basher - and this would have completely filled the criteria.  But in the end I couldn't suffer the additional cost of the Titan, so I ended up never owning a DT02 at all.

The Sand Viper at Modelsport is really tempting, although I've already bought two NIBs this month...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

modelsport currently show the Sand Viper at £125 

That is a high price for it  I have seen them going for about 97 euro  that about 90 brittish ponds.

https://www.modellbau-berlinski.de/rc-fahrzeuge-und-zubehoer/autos-und-zubehoer/elektro-offroad/sand-viper-2wd-rc-buggy-1_10-dt-02-baukasten

I have seen them for this price on other webshops to.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

The DT02 chassis is well-loved and makes a great basher, but this particular variant isn't the best deal.  It's usually sold for a fair bit more than the Sand Viper or Desert Gator buggies, which share the same chassis, but it lacks the adjustable upper arms and full bearings of the buggy models.  So you're getting a better deal with the Sand Viper (incidentally, modelsport currently show the Sand Viper at £125 and the Nissan Titan at £139).

For a while, I really wanted to get one of these.  My daily driver is a silver Nissan Elgrand with a camper conversion, and my plan had been to buy a Nissan-bodied off road Tamiya that I could mount to the camper interior as a feature-piece-plus-always-available-basher - and this would have completely filled the criteria.  But in the end I couldn't suffer the additional cost of the Titan, so I ended up never owning a DT02 at all.

The Sand Viper at Modelsport is really tempting, although I've already bought two NIBs this month...

Thanks for the info, yeah seems strange why the titan kit tends to be more expensive than the sand viper etc with the titan having a lower spec. 

I am just waiting for my tamiya xb nissan titan to arrive.  I bought it used from Ebay and being that it is the xb version it comes with the finespec 2.4g handset and corresponding electrics fitted in the chassis.  Apparently full ball bearings too.  It has the original body, which is damaged/repaired and a second body in great condition, done in grey with the decals.  I have a newly built sand viper and my plan is to mount the better grey body on the viper and keep the original body on the titan for a basher.

I have the titan front body posts on the way and using the holiday buggy rear body posts, as featured in a Pete Wylie RC youtube video, I should be able to mount the titan shell ok.

Cool idea about mounting a nissan off road shell inside the camper for an instant off-roader. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dannymulder said:

That is a high price for it  I have seen them going for about 97 euro  that about 90 brittish ponds.

https://www.modellbau-berlinski.de/rc-fahrzeuge-und-zubehoer/autos-und-zubehoer/elektro-offroad/sand-viper-2wd-rc-buggy-1_10-dt-02-baukasten

I have seen them for this price on other webshops to.

Thanks for the info.  I got my Sand Viper from Time Tunnel Models in the U.K. for £107 without ESC, including delivery to a U.K. address.  Time tunnel always seem to be the cheapest in the U.K.  I also got the Tamiya Monster Beetle for £158 without ESC and Rising Fighter for £58 again without ESC.

• Like 1

fusion hobbies do price match plus, which means they should always be cheaper than modelsport and time tunnel, plus TC subscribers get 10% off

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Xeostar said:

I love this car, great basher and cheap at Tamico at 116 Euro. It comes fully ball raced too.

I like it so much I've bought two, one to drive and one for show.

Both of the shells are shown on the same chassis as I've still to build the second show chassis.

https://tamico.de/Tamiya-Nissan-Titan-Racing-Truck-2WD-DT-02-Bausatz-58511

20200829_154325.jpg

20200912_151517.jpg

Both look great.  What wheels/tyres are they?  Direct fitment?  Cheers.

They're hotshot oval blocks on a Astral wheels from the super astute. I found the kit tyres useless  on the grass I was running on. These seem like a great all round tyre or bashing.

The fronts were a bit of a squish to get them on as they should be a bit wider but they went on ok and have stayed on without glue. The wheels are a direct fit, rear hex and front from a 2wd buggy with bearings in the wheels.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-Hot-Shot-Bigwig-Boomerang-Wild-One-Fox-9805111-19805111-Rear-Tyres-Tires/401109069269?epid=175897913&hash=item5d63f6add5:g:UloAAOSw-8paXsel

Edited by Xeostar
typo
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Xeostar said:

They're hotshot oval blocks on a Astral wheels from the super astute. I found the kit tyres unless on the grass I was running on. These seem like a great all round tyre or bashing.

The fronts were a bit of a squish to get them on as they should be a bit wider but they went on ok and have stayed on without glue. The wheels are a direct fit, rear hex and front from a 2wd buggy with bearings in the wheels.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-Hot-Shot-Bigwig-Boomerang-Wild-One-Fox-9805111-19805111-Rear-Tyres-Tires/401109069269?epid=175897913&hash=item5d63f6add5:g:UloAAOSw-8paXsel

Cheers

Just had my titan delivered and all seems fine except it goes alot slower in reverse, is that normal for this one? Cheers

Whilst the standard wheels and tyres look okay on the Titan, I am looking for some all terrain wheels/tyres like the ones below but see alot that seem to have 12mm hex on the front as well as the back and my existing front wheels have a bearing either side rather than hex fitment.  Is it common to have hex on front and back wheels?  Will I have to convert my front set-up to make them fit?  Cheers.

s-l1600.jpg

It is common to have hexes on the front of 4WD buggies, but since your Titan is based on a 2WD buggy, you might need to do a conversion I'm afraid. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2020 at 1:57 PM, wintersdawn said:

Just had my titan delivered and all seems fine except it goes alot slower in reverse, is that normal for this one? Cheers

Yes.

• Like 1