RA1028

Bruiser 2012 (spy photo from Nuremberg Toy Fair 2012

Looks like my memory is on the way out; http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry266590

Turns out 'Bruiser' was removed from the catalogues, no idea about the box;

Referred to as Toyota 4x4 Pickup here; http://www.tamiyabase.com/components/com_v.../cat1989_09.jpg

and Toyota 4x4 Pickup Bruiser here; http://www.tamiyabase.com/components/com_v.../cat1987_05.jpg

1990 catalogue with Bruiser name removed; http://www.tamiyabase.com/components/com_v.../cat1990_06.jpg

Maybe that's why tamiya waited that long to get the re-re Bruiser out because whoever has the license to that name expired so tamiya can now finally claim and use it now.

Banzai hobby has a box of the bruiser , BUT not sure if it's the old one or the new box . When you put you mouse on the box it comes up with

Tamiya 58519 Bruiser . It's on the main page on the right . If you click on it , it just goes to the bruiser page that we have seen .

Edit : It's the new box , I have saved the pic then enlarged it & you can see the New gear box on the top left &

Looking at the vintage box of bruiser . " THIS IS THE NEW BOX " ..... Now would be nice to see the rest of the box &

the most important part, " THE INSIDE STUFF " ....

Thanks for the tower info. Champ85. I was wondering how to save the 120.00 also. I only get the 50.00 off of 300.00 coupon. Guess I will just have to kick out a little more for this legend. Also, thank you income tax refund.

Banzai hobby has a box of the bruiser , BUT not sure if it's the old one or the new box . When you put you mouse on the box it comes up with

Tamiya 58519 Bruiser . It's on the main page on the right . If you click on it , it just goes to the bruiser page that we have seen .

Edit : It's the new box , I have saved the pic then enlarged it & you can see the New gear box on the top left &

Looking at the vintage box of bruiser . " THIS IS THE NEW BOX " ..... Now would be nice to see the rest of the box &

the most important part, " THE INSIDE STUFF " ....

Interesting ... the "TOYOTA" sun strip is also missing off the windscreen on the truck itself, it's also gained some text under "BRUISER" and to the right of the Tamiya stars.

Box proportions have also changed - it's longer and thinner - The image of the truck has also been stretched horizontally by 10-15%- and assuming the text is the same size as the original, the truck image is smaller, which makes the box smaller too.

That seems to confirm the "no blisters" theory.

Nice find, matman :)

Tamiya%2058519%20Bruiser.jpg

The image of the truck has also been stretched horizontally by 10-15%-

Or Banzai only resized it in one axis to fit their column width?

Nasty flatspots on the front tyres too :)

There's also an easy to park, short wheelbase version coming out;

post-1185-1328774631_thumb.jpg

And a stretch limo;

post-1185-1328774653_thumb.jpg

Nice find Matman!

I for one have been curious on the box and packaging for this kit, and now we have some idea. Hard to tell from that pic the actual size and shape though as it has almost definately been resized to fit Banzai's margins. Comparing it to the original though does suggest it is smaller, which although makes it cheaper to move around the globe, does detract from the "wow factor" on the shelf!

Part of the appeal of these original 3 speeds was looking up at the box on the shelf in the hobby shop as a child in awe of the size of the thing compared to the Hornets and grasshoppers around it! That and the fact there was no way on earth you could afford one!

It will be nice to see some original photos of the box and as others have said, what the inside looks like. This kit was originally one of the best presented kits Tamiya made, I hope they dont make too many shortcuts in this department.

Yeah someone must have some now we need more pics and a manual please!! lol, I am all for a smaller box if it meant less shipping but expect the weight will mean

be quite expensive to!

had a email reply of Seidel, no taking (pre)orders until Bruiser is available. :)

But there price is nice ;)

Oh great - another line of enquiry i'd followed, and had no response from. At least it'll be first come first served once they have stock from the response you got.

Interesting.

So, unless Banzai have stretched & photoshopped that artwork it looks like the Bruiser will come in the same size box as the plastic 3 speeds and be packaged like this.

getuserimageasp-2.jpg

A pity we might not get the original box but not the end of the world.

all the more reason to build it then :)

Somebody, somewhere must know the answer to this!! Where are the actual photos??

Interesting.

So, unless Banzai have stretched & photoshopped that artwork it looks like the Bruiser will come in the same size box as the plastic 3 speeds and be packaged like this.

getuserimageasp-2.jpg

ahhh lol i thought that was going to be brusier box then lol, I think for a non-white box art box this hilux one looks pretty good.

It was the 3 speed i nearly bought!

Just got price from RC champ of:

56,574.00 JPY

=

461.801 GBP

A bit more than Stella at the mo!

Just got price from RC champ of:

56,574.00 JPY

=

461.801 GBP

A bit more than Stella at the mo!

I think no matter where us Brits buy from abroad, we are going to be paying between the £480 & £530 mark all in.

Just pre-ordered at Tower.

$799.99 - $120 coupon code = $679.99 total.

We'll see what happens...

Cheers,

Skottoman

So, preorder price, blah blah, smaller box, whatever. Does anyone know if it comes with a full set of bearings? For this much money, it had better.

Does anyone know if it comes with a full set of bearings?

No - for more info, read THIS

So, preorder price, blah blah, smaller box, whatever. Does anyone know if it comes with a full set of bearings? For this much money, it had better.

yeah it does, probably a full set of 'bronze' bearings :)

looking at the axle design and that they now have a diff lets hope it comes with easy to exchange ballbearings

Did I miss something does it say somewhere, that it comes with bronze bushings? that is a bit of a cheek not supplying bearings with a kit like this really.

Do hope if gear box comes pre-assembled it has bearings or are easy to swap out!!

You could buy a lot of other RC car(s) for 729 quid. Much as I'm a huge devotee of the scale truck area of the hobby and much as i think the Bruiser is a beautiful looking kit its appeal in 2012 is ever so slightly lost on me, and that's perhaps in part to do with the price. Its quite telling that over on the RC crawler forums not that many people seem to be paying it much attention. A few people share my view that Tamiya are too late to the game with this re-re. Its just not going to have the impact on the scale market, outside of hardcore Tamiya enthusiasts, that it would have done a few years ago, certainly at the price it is.

Anyway out of the scale enthusiasts that do end up forking out for it I'm really keen to see what mods people do on it. There's clearly a lot of potential with the newly tweaked chassis to do something interesting now that it works better.

I too am a scaler and OCD...It is a pretty kit but that's all. Show up to a scale comp with it............You'll be laughed off the grounds....If you do enter, you'll go home wanting a real/performing scale truck. Yes, yes, I had and have right now, several Tam kits, but honestly the build-quaility just is not there. Back in the day, in my younger r/c years I too lusted after a Hilux. I was lucky enough to get ahold of a S-Scorcher once but set it on fire and watched it burn.........What an idiot I was......

A stock SCX will kill even the most modified Brusier now days.. I just don't see the value in the Re-Re.

Everybody is not into competing and that sort of stuff, but I too agree with the above poster, Tamiya is too late in the scale game with outdated stuff like this.

well i have to say i have a scx10 and as far as build quality i would say its marginal at best stock ( to much plastic) , i have taken my bruiser to a scale meet no laughter mostly amazement . sure it doesnt have the suspension flex tha axail does. the bruiser is true legend will anyone remember the scx10 in 25 years? my guess is probably not.

Why on earth people think the re-release of the Bruiser is Tamiya's way of getting "into" the crawler game is really mind boggling to me.

Is it just because crawling is a large segment of RC nowadays, so it begs comparison and criticism?

Why would you ever expect it to be a competitive crawler or even attempt it when there are far better chassis designed specifically for crawling?

The original 1985 Bruiser wasn't a crawler and neither is the 2012 version, because it's based on the same chassis.

<jedi>This isn't the crawler you are looking for.</jedi>

Why on earth people think the re-release of the Bruiser is Tamiya's way of getting "into" the crawler game is really mind boggling to me.

Is it just because crawling is a large segment of RC nowadays, so it begs comparison and criticism?

Why would you ever expect it to be a competitive crawler or even attempt it when there are far better chassis designed specifically for crawling?

The original 1985 Bruiser wasn't a crawler and neither is the 2012 version, because it's based on the same chassis.

<jedi>This isn't the crawler you are looking for.</jedi>

Actually, one of the most interesting things regarding this is the fact that the vehicle that inspired the Bruiser was a mud bog racer. And to this day, I have never seen pictures or videos of Toyota Bruiser trucks going throw mud puddles! :mellow:

well i have to say i have a scx10 and as far as build quality i would say its marginal at best stock ( to much plastic) , i have taken my bruiser to a scale meet no laughter mostly amazement . sure it doesnt have the suspension flex tha axail does. the bruiser is true legend will anyone remember the scx10 in 25 years? my guess is probably not.

The point is who cares if it's a"true-legend" it's day has passed. The legend was the orginal,not some over-priced Re-Re. Staticly it is a good-looking machine but you try to follow a SCX or even a CR-01, heck even CC-01 would probably spank it's fannie. Who also cares if anyone remembers it in 25 years?? You remember what a LaTrax was?? Probably not...Doubt you're that old. Bend a Axial piece of plastic and try to break it....... :blink:

Actually, one of the most interesting things regarding this is the fact that the vehicle that inspired the Bruiser was a mud bog racer. And to this day, I have never seen pictures or videos of Toyota Bruiser trucks going throw mud puddles! ;)

Because most are shelf-queens.....

I do respect the nostaliga part of collecting and generally loving Tamiya products, but to get taken to the cleaners so to speak for a copy that is not a performer in todays world is kinda silly in my eyes. They should just make a 10th scale plastic-model of it for the soon to be collectors.