RA1028

Bruiser 2012 (spy photo from Nuremberg Toy Fair 2012

The point is who cares if it's a"true-legend" it's day has passed. The legend was the orginal not some , over-priced Re-Re. Staticly it is a good-looking machine but you try to follow a SCX or even a CR-01, heck even CC-01 would probably spank it's fannie. Who also cares if anyone remembers it in 25 years?? You remember what a LaTrax was?? Probably not...Doubt you're that old. Bend a Axial piece of plastic and try to break it....... :blink:

Because most are shelf-queens.....

I do respect the nostaliga part of collecting and generally loving Tamiya products, but to get taken to the cleaners so to speak for a copy that is not a performer in todays world is kinda silly in my eyes. They should just make a 10th plastic-model of it for the soon to be collectors.

I will not say anything specific over the Bruiser re-re here since that's what it is, an updated re-re, but still I think I can understand some of your points. You gotta keep in mind that most people in here are keen collectors or huge enthusiasts. Do you really believe we are spending time and money, finding, buying, exchanging parts, and running these old cars (that some people call toys or otherwise 'junk') just because of the way they perform? I wonder that because if that were the case, the RC segment of the Tamiya plastic model company would have ruined for good long ago, back in the late 80's. My opinion is that performance has little or nothing to do with Tamiya. I know if I was looking for performance I'd turn into other companies and products but here I am. I keep on with the incomparable beauty of the old cars made by Tamiya. ;)

The point is who cares if it's a"true-legend" it's day has passed. The legend was the orginal,not some over-priced Re-Re. Staticly it is a good-looking machine but you try to follow a SCX or even a CR-01, heck even CC-01 would probably spank it's fannie. Who also cares if anyone remembers it in 25 years?? You remember what a LaTrax was?? Probably not...Doubt you're that old. Bend a Axial piece of plastic and try to break it....... :blink:

Because most are shelf-queens.....

I do respect the nostaliga part of collecting and generally loving Tamiya products, but to get taken to the cleaners so to speak for a copy that is not a performer in todays world is kinda silly in my eyes. They should just make a 10th scale plastic-model of it for the soon to be collectors.

so you know this from experience? The thing isnt even released.

The Bruiser IS the godfather of the current scale trucks, no matter what you think of it. And plenty of people care that it's a "true legend", even if you dont.

Oh, and BTW, I'll put my Venom Creeper out of the box up against any Axial AX10 out of the box head to head without hesitation, so when you're ready!!

It's probably best to not turn up to a forum pretty much dedicated to collecting/restoring/building Tamiya kits, and bag them as junk. When Axial have been successfully building kits for as long as Tamiya have, then we'll talk

Cheers

Why on earth people think the re-release of the Bruiser is Tamiya's way of getting "into" the crawler game is really mind boggling to me.

Is it just because crawling is a large segment of RC nowadays, so it begs comparison and criticism?

Why would you ever expect it to be a competitive crawler or even attempt it when there are far better chassis designed specifically for crawling?

The original 1985 Bruiser wasn't a crawler and neither is the 2012 version, because it's based on the same chassis.

<jedi>This isn't the crawler you are looking for.</jedi>

+1

If Tamiya wanted to seriously enter the crawling game, rest assured it would be game over for everyone else. Look at their TRF cars dominance. This is a re-release, its targeted at people like me, whom as a child did not have the means to buy such a kit.

but to get taken to the cleaners so to speak for a copy that is not a performer in todays world is kinda silly in my eyes. They should just make a 10th scale plastic-model of it for the soon to be collectors.

You think $750 for a re-release of a toy Truck kit from the mid 80's is being taken to the cleaners. Imagine if Ferrari re-produced the 1961 California Spider. Do you know what they could actually charge for one.. even though the design is 51 years old? It won't match the performance of the 458 Italia, but I guarantee you it would have a waiting list just as long. If I had the means, guess which waiting list I would be on? The 1961 Re-re guaranteed!

Comparing the Re-releases to a current RC kit is moot, because you don't get the point of the re-re.

You think $750 for a re-release of a toy Truck kit from the mid 80's is being taken to the cleaners. Imagine if Ferrari re-produced the 1961 California Spider. Do you know what they could actually charge for one.. even though the design is 51 years old? It won't match the performance of the 458 Italia, but I guarantee you it would have a waiting list just as long. If I had the means, guess which waiting list I would be on? The 1961 Re-re guaranteed!

Comparing the Re-releases to a current RC kit is moot, because you don't get the point of the re-re.

+2

The nostalgic feel from any re-res or restored vintages is priceless (to me). Only when you have been there when those moments are a significant part of your life will you then appreciate what nostalgia actually means. I am grateful that Tamiya is giving most of us a 2nd or 3rd chance to "re-live" those moments again.

Fortunately it's R/C cars that is significant to me. Imagine if you are into vintage Rolex watches  lol.

so you know this from experience? The thing isnt even released.

The Bruiser IS the godfather of the current scale trucks, no matter what you think of it. And plenty of people care that it's a "true legend", even if you dont.

Oh, and BTW, I'll put my Venom Creeper out of the box up against any Axial AX10 out of the box head to head without hesitation, so when you're ready!!

It's probably best to not turn up to a forum pretty much dedicated to collecting/restoring/building Tamiya kits, and bag them as junk. When Axial have been successfully building kits for as long as Tamiya have, then we'll talk

Cheers

Did I ever say the word Junk??? NO....I did not say anything about a AX-10 either..............SCX, different machine....read and comprehend there grasshopper. Tamiya has not been tottaly successful in all thier endevors, look at the TT-01 chassis................I'll decide what's best and where to "show-up"......Bring that Venom-Cheaper on......

Did I ever say the word Junk??? NO....I did not say anything about a AX-10 either..............SCX, different machine....read and comprehend there grasshopper. Tamiya has not been tottaly successful in all thier endevors, look at the TT-01 chassis................I'll decide what's best and where to "show-up"......Bring that Venom-Cheaper on......

TT01 has actually been extremely successful, so successful that they haven't felt the need for a TT02. It's a cheap entry level kit, marketed at newbies, with cool bodies.. They even have a dedicated spec racing class for it. It's the grasshopper of the new millennium..

Before you respond that it is poorly made etc, I will agree that it is, but it's the entry level kit to get the kids appetite wet for a life time of RC addiction.. majority of us on this forum our lifers..

Standing up: my name is Raman, I'm an RC addict :blink:

i couldnt give a flying flock of seagulls if the Bruiser is any good at climbing rocks (ie watching paint dry), i'll be buying one and running it at the beach, and maybe the odd mud puddle as well!!

comparing it to current model paint drying machines is REALLY missing the point..

I have to agree with the majority sentiment, This is a going to be superb offering from Tamiya. Obviously it is going to appeal to those who remember the original and want scale appearance, metal frame and the 3 speed gear box. The high price and the need for a 4 Ch radio means this truck has no competitors price or specification wise and is in a class all of its own, just above the High Lift class.

I am glad I held off getting a High Lift Hilux, Will definately be getting one of these to build and run, and may be another to keep new if it looks like production is going to come to an end.

Comparing the Bruiser to a SCX10 seems a bit pointless to me. The SCX10 is without doubt a very capable little machine, which it should be as it was designed from the ground up as a scale crawler. The Bruiser is a piece of nostalgic art.

I do respect the nostaliga part of collecting and generally loving Tamiya products, but to get taken to the cleaners so to speak for a copy that is not a performer in todays world is kinda silly in my eyes. They should just make a 10th scale plastic-model of it for the soon to be collectors.

How is anyone being taken to the cleaners? Yes, it's an expensive kit. But the people here who are buying or considering buying are adults making informed decisions. If you want a comp scaler, go buy a (potentially even more expensive) RC4WD kit.

But I want a Bruiser simply because it's a Bruiser... :blink:

In the hay day it was all about the bruiser , Now we have that same chance again . Not meany times in life you will get that type of chance again .

To me the bruiser was the KIT to have & now i have the chance to get it now . The best bit is it will be NIB & i can build it .

If the opportunity knocks , answer it . BRUISER all the way .... I just thank Tamiya for letting me , BE that kid in the 80's again & be able to

get the kit or kits i wanted then . THANKS MR T

Whatever mate, my reference to the AX-10 was in respect to your glowing appraisal of Axial stuff. I know the difference between a crawler and scaler. Oh and insult my venom all you want, all I know is at a 3rd of the price and out of the box, it kicks axials in the fannie ( as you lot call it ).

. Obviously it is going to appeal to those who remember the original and want scale appearance, metal frame and the 3 speed gear box. The high price and the need for a 4 Ch radio means this truck has no competitors price or specification wise and is in a class all of its own, just above the High Lift class.

Thats not the case at all though. As we discussed earlier in the thread there are a stack of very similar trucks on offer out there at near identical spec and price ( actually some of them are even more expensive) hence the fact that outside of Tamiya enthusiasts this re- release isn't really mustering much excitement.

been following this thread closely. don't usually post, i'll admit i tend to just read threads but decided i really should get involved.

I have a few scalers see http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=22548 , including a trailfinder, rcmodelex land rover and a heavily modded highlift. so i thought i'd give my thoughts on the bruiser compared to these. i used to have a crawler but just wasn't for me.

I will almost definitely get a bruiser, it's a great looking truck but it is expensive compared to a trailfinder 2 for example and i doubt that it will be any more capable off road, given my experience of the highlift you need to spend a fair bit over and above the kit to get decent performance (mine has axle mounted servo, 4-link etc) but for me that is half the fun, i enjoy modifying my trucks as much as running them and now it performs as good as if not better than my other scalers.

I think the bruiser will have issues, (servo location/bump-steer for one) but hey its looks great, will have loads of aftermarket goodies and has great nostalgia feel. I'm building an avante 2011 at the moment which is a fantastic build and that is the beauty of tamiya, you get to assemble absolutely everything, not just bolt on axles and fit electronics. There is no doubt a trailfinder will probly be a better runner pound for pound out of the box but that isn't the only thing for me. I just hope the gearbox isn't already assembled! :blink:

I am waiting for the Blazing Blazer! Good luck to all of you in getting the best price! Someone will have to do a build thread for the rest of us!

OSR

I am waiting for the Blazing Blazer! Good luck to all of you in getting the best price! Someone will have to do a build thread for the rest of us!

OSR

J Anderson will as soon as he gets a kit....

Why on earth people think the re-release of the Bruiser is Tamiya's way of getting "into" the crawler game is really mind boggling to me.

Is it just because crawling is a large segment of RC nowadays, so it begs comparison and criticism?

Why would you ever expect it to be a competitive crawler or even attempt it when there are far better chassis designed specifically for crawling?

The original 1985 Bruiser wasn't a crawler and neither is the 2012 version, because it's based on the same chassis.

Couldn't agree more...

Performance? What the badword i care about a Bruiser's performance ;) Would be the same to ask a crawler whether he cares his truck becomming dirty! :lol:

But if people really want to compare a Bruiser with nowadays crawler trucks-let me say this:

One thing is quite obvious: more and more crawler trucks are approaching the Bruisers appearance.Why every second crawler is based on a Toyota Hilux? Why are crawlers today getting scaler and scaler?

In my opinion,it's the crawler scene that is entering Tamiya's business,not the other way round ;)

Couldn't agree more...

Performance? What the badword i care about a Bruiser's performance ;) Would be the same to ask a crawler whether he cares his truck becomming dirty! :lol:

But if people really want to compare a Bruiser with nowadays crawler trucks-let me say this:

One thing is quite obvious: more and more crawler trucks are approaching the Bruisers appearance.Why every second crawler is based on a Toyota Hilux? Why are crawlers today getting scaler and scaler?

In my opinion,it's the crawler scene that is entering Tamiya's business,not the other way round ;)

agreed

I think there's some people here who are getting a little confused over the whole crawler scene and the difference between a crawler and a scale truck and a scale crawler. They're all part of the same world but they're not always the same thing. The Bruiser is a scale truck which you could also use for scale crawling if you wanted to. Its not a full out crawler and I don't think anyone is claiming its trying to be. The CR-01 is Tamiya's only stock foray into full blown crawling at this point.

The scale scene is definitely taking off so yes I would say more and more trucks are looking scale but its still only a part of that world. The crawler scene was in a large part kicked off by Tamiya but its long since gone its own way and as a lot of us have pointed out on numerous occasions here its odd that Tamiya seem to want little to do with it. The scale truck market is a different story, obviously there they are much more involved but are in no way in dominance but they are undoubtedly a major player, particularly in the EU.

My take on the crawler scene is that its quite North American centric and in the US in particular they like they're own home grown stuff, hence in part the success of Axial and RC4WD. Both those companies are making far more interesting kits than Tamiya too which obviously plays a large part in their success. They're both catering for and leading the market.

The New One

Bruiser.jpg

thanks project zip for the picture

Be still my beating heart! Fingers croseed that the mfc unit will work with it!!!!

Lots of great discussion here. I like the scale look of it. $660...well, it is what it is. Dollar stinks anyway now. So understandable. I'm in for one of these, hopefully it comes out by summer so we can use it!

My take on the crawler scene is that its quite North American centric and in the US in particular they like they're own home grown stuff, hence in part the success of Axial and RC4WD. Both those companies are making far more interesting kits than Tamiya too which obviously plays a large part in their success. They're both catering for and leading the market.

The point is though that Tamiya probably could not give two hoots about that scene and who is dominating it. Certainly, the Bruiser re-re is not any serious attempt to stake a claim in it....nor the scale scene either. It just so happens that this is a particular release for the nostalgia enthusiasts that can be seen to be crossing the boundaries between the two scenes.

I think the word that applies is "mojo." The Bruiser is ten pounds of mojo in a nine pound package. You either want that mojo and are willing to pay for it, or you aren't.