RA1028

Bruiser 2012 (spy photo from Nuremberg Toy Fair 2012

The point is though that Tamiya probably could not give two hoots about that scene and who is dominating it. Certainly, the Bruiser re-re is not any serious attempt to stake a claim in it....nor the scale scene either. It just so happens that this is a particular release for the nostalgia enthusiasts that can be seen to be crossing the boundaries between the two scenes.

I agree with most of that but they clearly care up to a point about the crawler market otherwise they wouldn't have released the CR-01 and kept on supporting it. Personally I do think we'll see more from them in that area too, its just a matter of when.

I agree with most of that but they clearly care up to a point about the crawler market otherwise they wouldn't have released the CR-01 and kept on supporting it.

Fair point. Maybe they are just happy to have an offering there but are not looking to seriously compete.

Reading through this post for the first time in a while there has been a fair amount of debate re Crawlers/Scale, Tamiyas place within that scene, what the Bruiser represents. Whatever the fine point of that debate, I am sure the new 3speed transmission will find its way into a host of non Tamiya chassis and set ups, assuming it's sold as a stand alone item post release of the Bruiser and any subsequent re re 3speeds.

In releasing re-re's in general Tamiya must have been able to significantly(?) reduce costs of production. Would be interested to know from any of our communities industry experts, a ballpark figure of how much it would cost, inclusive of the marketing/advertising budget, a company of Tamiyas scale to produce the 2012 Bruiser if its forerunners had not existed.

I want a Bruiser simply because it's a Bruiser... :)

+1

It doesn't have anything to do with value, capability or logic.

It's a Bruiser and I want one. :D

+1

It doesn't have anything to do with value, capability or logic.

It's a Bruiser and I want one. :)

Bang on there , I looked at the catalogs that tamiya put out & i wanted one back then .

Now I / WE all have the chance to have Bruiser nostalgia NIB & to be able to build one from

new & if we choose to have one NIB we can .

It's all about the 80's & NOT having one as a kid & i WANTED ONE , like most of us did.

:D WE can have our NIB Bruiser day .

Here it is :P .......

post-37029-1328928341_thumb.jpg

Yeah i can remember being at school in the 80's and having a friend with a tamiya catalogue, MANY lunch hours were spent drooling over the contents, most of which were far out of our price range..

Man those 1980's tamiya catalogues have sold a lot of rere's!!

Went a bit off topic there comparing bruiser to crawler!! I would imagine its a but top heavy for anything steep, but be good on muddy stuffif we can bare to get it dirty lol.

I dont think there are many at all to compare it to apart from RC4wd stuff and tamiyas own recent high lift 3speeds, I nearly got the hilux my self but glad I waited now, always wondered why they never had a 2wd to 4wd gear!

Guess we will now just need to be patient and that, and hope manual is posted soon to keep us going!

One thing I've learned from reading Tamiya's book and studying some of their practices over the years is that they are not a typical company. Their symbol, red for passion and blue for precision really does some it up. Firstly, while RC is certainly important to Tamiya, it is not their main focus, which is static models. If they introduce an RC model that's a sales flop its not the end world as in full size or even strictly RC manufacturers. The re-res in particular (even though they ARE updated) cut down on alot of development time and resources. The groundwork is at least already laid or in the case of a simple re-re (like the Lunch Box) its just a matter of dragging out the old tooling.

The tricky thing to keep in mind here is that Tamiya is not a typical strictly profit-driven company. Oh, I have no delusions that profit isn't very important. In business you grow or you shrink and possibly fail. Very rarely does a business stay one size throughout its life. Tamiya is also passionate about much of what they do. Many times they produce a model simply because of that passion. They don't nessesarily analyze a market segment to death before introducing a model. They just do it because they can. I still feel there is a certain amount of pride that goes into their product line. Is there alot of passion in bringing back a popular seller like the Super Clod or stamping out another TT-01? No. Maybe at first, but now those vehicles pay the bills and allow Tamiya to give us things like the Bruiser back. Since scale realism has always been one of its hallmarks, I can imagine they have some strong feelings involving the Bruiser. Didn't its box say it all? : Absolute Realism!

One thing I've learned from reading Tamiya's book and studying some of their practices over the years is that they are not a typical company. Their symbol, red for passion and blue for precision really does some it up. Firstly, while RC is certainly important to Tamiya, it is not their main focus, which is static models. If they introduce an RC model that's a sales flop its not the end world as in full size or even strictly RC manufacturers. The re-res in particular (even though they ARE updated) cut down on alot of development time and resources. The groundwork is at least already laid or in the case of a simple re-re (like the Lunch Box) its just a matter of dragging out the old tooling.

The tricky thing to keep in mind here is that Tamiya is not a typical strictly profit-driven company. Oh, I have no delusions that profit isn't very important. In business you grow or you shrink and possibly fail. Very rarely does a business stay one size throughout its life. Tamiya is also passionate about much of what they do. Many times they produce a model simply because of that passion. They don't nessesarily analyze a market segment to death before introducing a model. They just do it because they can. I still feel there is a certain amount of pride that goes into their product line. Is there alot of passion in bringing back a popular seller like the Super Clod or stamping out another TT-01? No. Maybe at first, but now those vehicles pay the bills and allow Tamiya to give us things like the Bruiser back. Since scale realism has always been one of its hallmarks, I can imagine they have some strong feelings involving the Bruiser. Didn't its box say it all? : Absolute Realism!

+1 Agreed

And isn't it wonderfully refreshing, in this age of corporate juggernauts all cranking out the same bland products, that such a company still exists?

Is there alot of passion in bringing back a popular seller like the Super Clod or stamping out another TT-01? No.

I dunno, If I was the employee that tooled the Clod Buster (or part thereof) I would pretty well excited about what I had done, the recognition and sales it had recieved and that it was being used again as a re-release ;)

I think I would be passionate about any RC or static model I designed or produced, and excited about the next one I am going to tool.

This probably isn't the case with us right now with the TT-01, and I dislike this chassis as much as the next guy, but there is no doubt there is passion even in the most simplistic design, and somebodies pride and thought has gone into making tamiya a cheap and efficient chassis to base their bodies on.

And isn't it wonderfully refreshing, in this age of corporate juggernauts all cranking out the same bland products, that such a company still exists?

I think it is encouraged at Tamiya to go to work every day and be yourself through what you can achive with your hands. I would imagine it is a prerequisite to spend more time on the details and I believe this is Tamiya's mealticket. Most companies just see dollar signs, I would almost go as far as saying Tamiya just go about their passion and making money is a bonus, because we all know as soon as Tamiya loose their passion and detail they are reknowned for, they are just another plastic toy company.

It's Tamiya's passion that makes the precision, which is why I think the red star is first (well for us, dont the Japanese read right to left? :D)

Oh, I agree there was passion involved in both the TT-01 and the Clod at first. I remember the introduction of the original Clod very well and it was a very inspired design at the time. There was NOTHING like it. I just meant that the initial passion that brought about the creation of those models might be replaced with a sense of pride in watching those models continuely succeed as the years go by. Its really a win-win situation as the original designers and corperation as a whole put out a land mark model that at the same time continues to sell well and allow for future landmark designs as well as the return of cherished older designs. I will always be a faithful Tamiya consumer as I have worked in production and manufacturing in the past and know a company that merely works for profit vs. one that cares about what they do. Tamiya believes in their product.

Enquiry at Stella the other day after last post here thought I would get on the list atomatically. Just a reply saying lot of interest...if i want to be on list reply :( must have lost loads of places in that time. Also if I want a first batch I should check other suppliers :( looks like second batch for me, well after 27 years I can wait another 27 weeks without too much stress I guess.

My fault I should have asked to go on list D'oh

Still stocked that it's back, you never know might get lucky :D

Just to add, I knew the hog was for the bog back in when I saw it but I also though it was a scale runner i.e. you would run it like you would a 1.1 and that was the whole point of them use the 3 speeds take it where you want and with in its limits or slightly over ;)

I'll be happy with it no matter what it performs like just like I have been with all the other rere I've gotten, I haven't regretted one :D and every time I see them I smile, when I run them I grin and when I work on them I relax, to me I can't ask for more worth every penny

I wasn't aware it production run was so long though! I was expecting a couple of years.

Maybe Tamiya were in the long game they would always rere rather than keep production running so there was always a demand leave 'em wanting more they plant the seed of desire in each generation let it grow till we can afford the item then bam and stop just long enough for the next generation. If not do so and give me my cut in reres :D

Just remembered about my discount at Fusion yay!!! any one got an eta for them yet? I'll give em a call tues

Uugh.... This topic has skidded to one of my irritations...

The fact that people can't define the difference between a scale 4x4 and a rock crawler .

Think of the real world of 4WD's. You can put big beefy tyres on you 4x4, along with a lift kit but it won't crawl a damned thing. They are two different things entirely. All rock crawlers are 4x4s. Not all 4x4's are rock crawlers, in fact probably .00000002 % of all 4WD vehicles in the world are rock crawlers.

Uugh.... This topic has skidded to one of my irritations...

The fact that people can't define the difference between a scale 4x4 and a rock crawler .

Think of the real world of 4WD's. You can put big beefy tyres on you 4x4, along with a lift kit but it won't crawl a damned thing. They are two different things entirely. All rock crawlers are 4x4s. Not all 4x4's are rock crawlers, in fact probably .00000002 % of all 4WD vehicles in the world are rock crawlers.

Exactly B.M.T. I don't think any Axial SCX10 could be more SCALE than a bruiser, they even come with unlicensed generic bodies, let alone a highly detailed Toyota.

SCX10's aren't crawlers either.

However, I have never thought that the Bruiser's wheel/tyre combo and odd track widths were very realistic in scale terms.

To me, the Bruiser's wheels and tyres are its biggest let-down. I can't help hoping someone comes up with a simple hex conversion. I think a nice set of 1.9's and scale tyres would set it off beautifully.

To me, the Bruiser's wheels and tyres are its biggest let-down. I can't help hoping someone comes up with a simple hex conversion. I think a nice set of 1.9's and scale tyres would set it off beautifully.

RC channel , has new diff's & the 1.9's etc . So it can be done . :lol:

Just pre-ordered at Tower.

$799.99 - $120 coupon code = $679.99 total.

We'll see what happens...

Cheers,

Skottoman

how did you get that price? I cant find any codes for 120 off.

how did you get that price? I cant find any codes for 120 off.

Go back several pages in this post to see the detailed reason for the $120 coupon.

K

The RC Channel stuff is nice, but a simple hex conversion would be better......didnt RC4WD make one years ago? I seem to recall one, but they were discontinued when I went on my search for one.

I have to admit, I would LOVE another Bruiser, but I am also intrigued by the Trailfinder 2. I had the original trailfinder and it was great, but they certainly have improved it a lot, take a look at

...and there is a build thread here.

I have no doubt they are different trucks, and the Bruiser would be for nostalgia purposes mainly. I think I might get the TF2 for smashing about, and use the emergence of well priced parts to restore my original bruiser...

Best of both worlds, but certainly not worth making comparisons.

The TF2 gearbox and transfer case are really nice too, but the bruiser has functional diffs.....I would like to put diffs on my old bruiser for running purposes....the original was a real dog in corners as a result and I can tell you that the 750 motor did not make things any better. A decent brushless crawler motor in the new bruiser would be MORE than adequate.... BTW, that TF 2 video is with a Tamiya silver can!

Anyone know how the gear ratios differ between the orginal bruiser and the new one?

SCX10's aren't crawlers either.

However, I have never thought that the Bruiser's wheel/tyre combo and odd track widths were very realistic in scale terms.

I have seen 1:1 trucks with that wheel/tire combination. Just haven't found a Toyota. The lenght of th rear axle might be strange, yes, but the wheel/tyre combo must have been seen somewhere in CA back in the day by the guys who were working the prototypes I believe.

1:1 Bruiser TC entry

Firestone 42070-24 All Traction Utility

0002.jpg

The Bruiser, with the cab and all. Swamper tyres on this one. "Absulute realism" :lol:

0001.jpg