RA1028

Bruiser 2012 (spy photo from Nuremberg Toy Fair 2012

That's the best thing about it. It's not some simple plastic thing that assembles itself if you shake the box hard enough.

LOL!

yep great build thread thanks for doing this, i love the vice thing for holding the chassis up. Build looks really good and challenging!

@ JAnderson, thanks I loved the addition of the time lapse video, made the prospect of getting my hands on one to build even more exciting if that was possible ;)

Wonderful build thread. Very professionally done, as usual ;) !

Thanks everyone for the comments, finished up the chassis progress with final pics and video. Will be working on Body this week, this has been a busy but enjoyable weekend.

Anyone know how the gear ratios differ between the orginal bruiser and the new one?

IIRC I worked out the gearing of the original Hilux (dont see why the original bruiser should be any different) as a differential between 1st and 3rd as 4:1 (altho I may be wrong as that was more than 20 yrs ago) but this new box looks to be 2:1 between 1st and 3rd so comparatively close ratio

Would also like to know, but don't fancy pulling mine apart and counting teeth

Hi-lift seems to be around 3:1 between 1st and 3rd

Mark you ain't slow off the starting blocks are you! I don't know of any kit that does that although perhaps you are just used to shuffling your hands with a little more conviction than most!!!!!! :(

You laugh, but there was an incident involving a TL01, a very rough road, and my old Honda Accord with worn-out shocks... got the surprise of my life when I opened THAT box. I tried to put some paint in the box and drive back to the shop, but it didn't work so well...

Hey guys,

Im in the process of repainting my Hi-Lux body.. was looking for a paint stripper that doesn't harm the ABS plastic.. this stuff works great: motsenbocker's lift off

It washed Tamiya's acrylic like it was water. It also removes enamels with easy both water and oil.

interesting...

-planetary diff innards reused from Avante?

-billet U-screw caps

-1680 bearings in the hubs? black plastic spacer now...

-separate sleepercab... who would've thunk :(

Guy says "550 motor" in the video but looks like a common RS 540SH in JA's build pics?

interesting...

Guy says "550 motor" in the video but looks like a common RS 540SH in JA's build pics?

The guy in the video is not too knowledgable Ive watch both videos. The camera man seems to know what we wanted to know, it bet it's Joe A himself

Doesn't anybody think that this kit is a bit expensive?

Why is that? Why would it be more expensive than a highlift?

Tamiya cashing in on the hype?

Quite possibly but its nothing new. look at the cost of the Avante against the discounted price of the Vajra!

I didn't want one until I watched the vid. Never had a 3 speed and changing gear sounds cool.

Yes - but what to do ?

You can buy a nice original built Avante for £200-250, yet a rere costs £440 (UK pricing,source)

You can buy a nice original built Bruiser for £400 these days, maybe £500 a month or so ago - £750 for a UK rere

The thing here is the cost of an original NIB compared to their re-res where the new version is 50-75% the cost.

I sat here 12 months ago contemplating spending £240 for a Gmade R1 !! Admittedly, that was immediately after putting about the same money into modifying a Clodbuster and with three RC models already in the stable.

I sit here today contemplating the expense of the bruiser almost hourly as the launch approaches - its a great model (apparently!) and its an intensive build looking at the manual, but i do wonder how much of my own enthusiasm is down to forum traffic and the potential savings by buying from HK. I can't afford to buy two or three like some people; i can afford to buy one - i just not sure it would be the wisest use of £500 in the currently climate ?

1. Metal u-channel chassis rails bent in the proper shape of a full size truck frame rather than non-scale straight rails.

2. Metal u-channel stamped and bent cross members instead of non-scale solid plastic.

3. Metal transmission housing instead of plastic.

4. Metal axles instead of plastic.

5. Metal steering knuckles and wheel hubs instead of plastic.

6. Full ball bearings instead of bushings.

7. U-bolt/axle holder mounting of axles to leaf springs instead of non-scale straight screw mounting.

8. The larger wheels and tires.

9. Oil dampers instead of spring friction dampers.

and finally:

10. The Bruiser name.

I sit here today contemplating the expense of the bruiser almost hourly as the launch approaches - its a great model (apparently!) and its an intensive build looking at the manual, but i do wonder how much of my own enthusiasm is down to forum traffic and the potential savings by buying from HK. I can't afford to buy two or three like some people; i can afford to buy one - i just not sure it would be the wisest use of £500 in the currently climate ?

The nostalgia scene has, for most people on here I'd guess, always been about spending silly money on stuff that would be better spent elsewhere. The irrationality of it is actually a big part of the thrill. :lol:

The R&D for the new all-metal transmission probably takes up a big chunk of it, especially since it seems that most of the work is outsourced rather than done in-house.

1. Metal u-channel chassis rails bent in the proper shape of a full size truck frame rather than non-scale straight rails.

2. Metal u-channel stamped and bent cross members instead of non-scale solid plastic.

7. U-bolt/axle holder mounting of axles to leaf springs instead of non-scale straight screw mounting.

and finally:

10. The Bruiser name.

This list is why its expensive and quite rightly more so than high lifts. Looking at the amount of plastic in high lifts really to me they are over priced now as since prices have gone up here in UK a high lift is £450 for kit to change all to metal and

add bearings etc will not be cheap and its then still not quite to scale I dont think.

Where as the Bruiser is the real deal all metal and looks to scale! Im still praying I can get one!

The nostalgia scene has, for most people on here I'd guess, always been about spending silly money on stuff that would be better spent elsewhere. The irrationality of it is actually a big part of the thrill. :lol:

I don't disagree - i've only 14 months of 'RC nostalgia' , god help the rest of you lol!

Looks like the Bruiser will be out on the 17th March in Japan. :P

dayum, sounds like iPad3 might beat it by a week :lol:

Dear TamiyaUSA,

Will there be a complete Bruiser body parts set? (Windows, mirrors, etc)?

I'm pretty sure I will not be breaking the metal chassis, but I might really like to get some spare bodies to paint up for different looks?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Skottoman

and finally:

10. The Bruiser name.

I don't think all of that adds up to twice the cost of the high-lift. Not by a long shot. I don't think I'll be getting one.

I don't think all of that adds up to twice the cost of the high-lift. Not by a long shot. I don't think I'll be getting one.

Especially after seeing the un-boxing. I for sure wont be getting one now. I would have been so let down if I had put that money down and opened that box. I mean really, no blister packs or anything. Just toss it all in the box n here you go. for 700 bucks I want more than that, sorry Tamiya. And I just saw a complete vintage one sell for under 500.... That better be one heck of a transmission to cost 300 dollars over the price of the Hilux or vintage Bruiser. Suddenly I love my Hilux just that much more...

Mr JAnderson:

Is the front trac the same as the rear? I have never actuallly seen an OG Bruiser in the flesh, but form the pics on the interwebs it looks like the OG Bruiser has a narower axle up fornt compared to the rear.

Perhaps the best way to look at it is to compare today's cost to its original cost back in 1985. However, I don't know what that was but someone here probably does.