RA1028

Bruiser 2012 (spy photo from Nuremberg Toy Fair 2012

afaik in oz the Bruiser kit sold for ~A$700-800 @ LHS, be around $1300-1500

by the time you added the 4000mAh battery, charger and decent 4ch radio.

you could buy a 1:1 Hilux 4x2 for ~$15,000 then too i think

I guess it depends on which country you are in as well, here in Uk bruiser will £749 (10% off with fusion if a subscriber!) and high lifts are £450 so its £300 more and I bet in time price will come down a bit on bruiser. At mo i will most likely be getting from Stella!

Perhaps the best way to look at it is to compare today's cost to its original cost back in 1985. However, I don't know what that was but someone here probably does.

the kit at 450 in 1985 would be 754 today ! :)

the kit at 450 in 1985 would be 754 today ! :)

I found an online RPI calculator that suggests it is the equivalent of £1,060 in today's money.

So the cost of the kit has been bothering me for a while now and seeing as people are starting to talk about it again I figured I would add to the conversation.

I looked back through my old RC magazines and saw the retail price and street price, they were surprising low…

I have an RC Car action from 1988, in the catalog they did a Monster Truck Shootout and they had all the suggested retail prices listed for the cars in the shootout. The Bruiser was in the shootout and the suggested retail price was $394.00.

The tower add in the back of the same catalog had the following prices listed.

Retail – $415.99 Tower Price - $278.99

Other retailers have the street prices listed:

MAC’s Models Bruiser $277.00

1994 Mountaineer at Tower Hobbies, didn’t have a retail price, but the street price was $285.99

So this means that in 25 years the retail price has increased 3 times to $1,295, this doesn’t sound so bad, however looking at other re-releases it seems like Tamiya is starting to stick it to the collectors and has been increasing the prices of all the new re-releases.

Check it out.

Car Original Retail Org Street Price Re-release Retail Re-release Street

Hornet $124.95 $84.99 $185.00 $114.98

Grasshopper $93.95 $62.99 $152.00 $94.99

Frog $174.95 $114.99 $253.00 $159.99

Lunch Box $123.95 $84.99 $169.00 $109.98

Looking at the above, it looks like the street prices now is very close to what the retail was when the cars were originally released. Based on those examples that would put the Bruises street price around its retail price in 1988 of about $400, but it’s double that for some reason.

We can take this a step further and look at some of the more recent re-releases, that have special editions. The Brat and Hotshot. Check out the upward trend…

Car Re-re Retail Re-re Street Special re-re Retail Special re-re Street

Brat $267.00 $169.99 $339.00 $219.99

Hotshot $324.00 $199.99 $384.00 $269.99

Lunchbox $169.00 $109.98 $202.00 $125.99

So it looks to me as either Tamiya has run into huge manufacturing cost increases, or they are just trying to get more out of the collectors.

As I said earlier in this thread somewhere;

I remember Beatties selling the bruiser deal for £399 and the Motor/gearbox for £99

Acording to The Bank of Englands inflation calculator that equals (today) £992 for the Kit and radio deal and a whopping £250 for the motor/ gearbox

and I bet in time price will come down a bit on bruiser.

Wouldn't bet on that...

Many retailers are getting some discount themselves from their importers,mostly on the first batch and mostly depending on a several quantity of kits they order.-Meaning:the shop can have the better offer on their first batch of kits because their margin is smaller once this "preorder-bonus" is gone.

Generally i'd say the Bruiser is pretty expensive-as i expected.But i'm not into following a train of thoughts what else i could get for 700 cash because there's always a better way to spend the money.But there are worse ways, too!

My Credo then: Hey-i live now,maybe tomorrow i die who knows.You want the Bruiser?You can afford it? Buy it! When you're thru' with it-sell it!There's no problem of getting rid of a Bruiser,never was...At the end,you can say:at least,i've owned it! It's this simple :)

Wouldn't bet on that...

Many retailers are getting some discount themselves from their importers,mostly on the first batch and mostly depending on a several quantity of kits they order.-Meaning:the shop can have the better offer on their first batch of kits because their margin is smaller once this "preorder-bonus" is gone.

Generally i'd say the Bruiser is pretty expensive-as i expected.But i'm not into following a train of thoughts what else i could get for 700 cash because there's always a better way to spend the money.But there are worse ways, too!

My Credo then: Hey-i live now,maybe tomorrow i die who knows.You want the Bruiser?You can afford it? Buy it! When you're thru' with it-sell it!There's no problem of getting rid of a Bruiser,never was...At the end,you can say:at least,i've owned it! It's this simple :)

I agree!!!! Does anyone know where we can order one from yet?? I asked a few hobby stores here in the good old USA and they have no clue if it isnt a Traxxas.

I have an RC Car action from 1988, in the catalog they did a Monster Truck Shootout and they had all the suggested retail prices listed for the cars in the shootout. The Bruiser was in the shootout and the suggested retail price was $394.00.

The tower add in the back of the same catalog had the following prices listed.

Retail – $415.99 Tower Price - $278.99

Other retailers have the street prices listed:

MAC’s Models Bruiser $277.00

1994 Mountaineer at Tower Hobbies, didn’t have a retail price, but the street price was $285.99

So this means that in 25 years the retail price has increased 3 times to $1,295, this doesn’t sound so bad, however looking at other re-releases it seems like Tamiya is starting to stick it to the collectors and has been increasing the prices of all the new re-releases.

So it looks to me as either Tamiya has run into huge manufacturing cost increases, or they are just trying to get more out of the collectors.

From a USA perspective, this inflation calculator ( http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/ ) suggests a $278 kit in 1988 should cost about $533 today. That said, this calculator doesn't take into account tooling amortization, raw material cost fluctuations, increases in overhead as the company has grown, currency exchange rates, transportation costs, and a number of other detailed factors.

It does seem like certain re-releases have gone up in price. The TA02T F150 Baja went up by about $40, and there was no substantial change in the kit from one release (58161) to another (58495). The Blackfoot III (58498) is the same as the Blackfoot Extreme (58312) , but it's about $40 more expensive.

-Paul

Keep in mind that because of the amount of metal in this kit, Tamiya had to outsource more than other kits like the Hornet, for example. Outsourcing costs money and making metal molds costs money.

Take a look at the price of a RC Channel axle/housing set for the Hi-Lift: $230 for the 2009 version, $250 for the current version. That's JUST the axles with internal components, diff, gears, etc. Add that to the High-Lift cost and you are getting pretty close to the price of the Bruiser.

Yes, I know RC Channel is a tiny outfit and cannot be compared to Tamiya in terms of manufacturing scale, but even if the Bruiser axle/housing assemblies cost Tamiya $150 instead of $250, I think you can still see how the price skyrockets as you add more and more metal to the kit.

The frame, for example, is more than just two bent u-channel pieces. They have to be either bent through a series of steps or hydro-forming, either of which is more expensive than straight rails like the High-Lift. Plus there is a left and a right frame, whereas the High-Lift frame was the same on both sides, except for maybe a couple holes (I didn't check). All of this costs money.

While I agree the price is more than I (and it seems, many of you) originally envisioned when it was announced, a lot of factors are in play to determine the final price, not all of which we can see immediately by looking at the box of parts.

Guys, you're kidding yourselves by trying to justify the price simply because of the metal in the kit. You forget, the cost is in tooling up for manufacture. Once the tooling is there and processes are in place the sheer volume of components keeps the price per unit very low......surprisingly low, actually. Also, plants are more streamlined and efficient in their operation nowadays compared to way back when.

You would expect, being a specialty item, a price rise over the high-lift of about $50, maybe $70.....but that is it! Whats this twice the price business????

Also consider that back in the day the price for a 3-speed was approx. 33% more than an SRB. On the shelves in 1985 in Australia, the SRB's were about $300, the 3-speeds about $450.

Nowadays the street price out of Hong Kong is around $275 for an SRB and $420 for a High-lift (I don't consider shop pricing in Australia to be relevant nowadays.) If the street price in Hong Kong nudges the $750 mark for the Bruiser, that would mean that the Bruiser is nearly three times the price of an SRB!!!

Sorry Tamiya. You'll have to come up with a pretty decent explanation as to why you need to charge so much for this kit. Logic and reason would suggest that its just a big grab for cash on your part. The Hong Kong street price should be around the $480-$500 mark. No more.

This my first post on this thread and I`ve enjoyed reading the many arguments but I think a few people are missing the point ......... Its a BRUISER :D , I can`t really afford it, the country is in a mess :D but who the badword cares !!!!!! :) I`m takin myself back to the 80`s and Getting myself one :D

P.s ...... Don`t tell the wife :)

Do my eyes deceive me? Is there a NIB original Bruiser on Ebay for under $1400 AUD????

Have they really plummeted that much price-wise?

Do my eyes deceive me? Is there a NIB original Bruiser on Ebay for under $1400 AUD????

Have they really plummeted that much price-wise?

Think I saw this , 1499 $US. Thought it was gonna fly away in seconds , but no it´s still there :)

[deleted]

Sorry Tamiya. You'll have to come up with a pretty decent explanation as to why you need to charge so much for this kit. Logic and reason would suggest that its just a big grab for cash on your part. The Hong Kong street price should be around the $480-$500 mark. No more.

So what justifies the $440 street price for the all-plastic-except-the-rails Toyota High-Lift/Ford F350/Toyota Tundra? Or is that overpriced too?

So what justifies the $440 street price for the all-plastic-except-the-rails Toyota High-Lift/Ford F350/Toyota Tundra? Or is that overpriced too?

I wouldn't have thought so. That price is about right....although its gone up from the original price, but so have the other kits.

I've got one on order for quite a few reasons. None have anything to do with price...

1) Never had an original 3 speed, or modern 3 speed (except Knight Hauler).

2) This kit has the most metal of any kit I've ever seen from Tamiya.

3) I love a good complicated build.

4) I love the hobby and am willing to pay for something new and different. (to me).

5) This forum gets me all worked up.

6) I really like the look of the Bruiser with large tires and the classic Toyota body.

7) I just WANT ONE!

Cheers,

Skottoman

I wouldn't have thought so. That price is about right....although its gone up from the original price, but so have the other kits.

Ok, good to know. I'm just trying to understand your view, Corpsie.

See, I always thought the 2009 High-Lift series was over-priced. I remember when I first saw it, I was shocked. Actually, back then I was disappointed it wasn't the Bruiser or Mountaineer, and then I was disappointed in the design and use of mostly plastic parts, especially for the price. It also drove home the idea in my mind that a re-re of the Bruiser/Mountaineer would never happen. Ahh, it is great to be so wrong. :)

Anyway, I still bought a Toyota High-Lift, even though I thought the price was about $100 too high. At the time, I figured it would be as close as I could ever get to a real 3 speed. I bought tons of aftermarket metal parts for it, too.

What should the price for the 2012 Bruiser be, in your opinion? Maybe $100 less than it is, like $699 instead of $799 (US Dollars)?

I've got one on order for quite a few reasons. None have anything to do with price...

4) I love the hobby and am willing to pay for something new and different. (to me).

6) I really like the look of the Bruiser with large tires and the classic Toyota body.

7) I just WANT ONE!

Cheers,

Skottoman

Haha, me too. It's fun. :)

7) I just WANT ONE!

Cheers,

Skottoman

Well said , I just want one , Because it's the bruiser & i would have never been able to buy one in the 80's .

I wanted one then , But it cost $1050. NZ & there was NO way i could have come up with that .

We get to have the chance to get a NIB & build it . At the end of the day I am going to get two , maybe three at some stage .

I don't care about the price , This is not the 80's & things go up . Ok would love it to be cheaper , But it's not .

I want it for what it is & the passion & excitement i'm going to have of the memory's of when i was a kid & that alone is worth it .

Even that i never got one as a kid , As most of the re re's have made me a happy man / KID :) in heart . Of course that is worth

alot more than money at the end of the day . Happy days to come & i bet the smile & excitement you will get from a NIB bruiser

will be worth every cent . Don't you think . :D

Ok, good to know. I'm just trying to understand your view, Corpsie.

See, I always thought the 2009 High-Lift series was over-priced. I remember when I first saw it, I was shocked. Actually, back then I was disappointed it wasn't the Bruiser or Mountaineer, and then I was disappointed in the design and use of mostly plastic parts, especially for the price. It also drove home the idea in my mind that a re-re of the Bruiser/Mountaineer would never happen. Ahh, it is great to be so wrong. :)

Anyway, I still bought a Toyota High-Lift, even though I thought the price was about $100 too high. At the time, I figured it would be as close as I could ever get to a real 3 speed. I bought tons of aftermarket metal parts for it, too.

What should the price for the 2012 Bruiser be, in your opinion? Maybe $100 less than it is, like $699 instead of $799 (US Dollars)?

Basing it on the Hong Kong prices, if a Hilux hi-lift is $420 USD from Stella, then the Bruiser should be no more than $500.

Another one to justify the high price:

The Bruiser was highpriced/ non affordable in the eighties and it is highpriced/non affordable in 2012 :D

We all wanted Tamiya to implement the Bruiser as close to the original as possible.That's what they did,so we cannot complain now :)

Basing it on the Hong Kong prices, if a Hilux hi-lift is $420 USD from Stella, then the Bruiser should be no more than $500.

try again @ forex maths matey

1st 2 HighLifts are JPY 45k, the Tundra is 48k

Bruiser is RRP'd @ JPY 89,800

You can't "justify" the cost of it. It's a toy. Toys are luxury items. It costs what it costs. There really isn't a way to comparison shop for a better value; if you want a Bruiser, you won't be satisfied with anything else, and if you don't think it's worth the money, nothing will convince you of its value.

As for comparing the price of the original vs the re-release to figure out what it "should" cost, you have to consider not only inflation, but fluctuations in exchange rates, and the fact that most of the moving parts of the re-re are actually a new design. You also can't really make a comparison to the High-Lift trucks. Material choice aside, it also has a higher number of unique parts than the High-Lifts, which have identical front and rear axles and share several parts with other models. It's not even comparing apples and oranges; it's more like apples and broccoli.

I've been wrestling with the question of "is it worth it to me?" ever since it was announced, and I think the answer, now that I have seen the manual and found out the details, is yes. It looks like a model I can not only savor building, but also enjoy owning for a long time. The fact that the whole chassis is metal, I'm guessing, will give it the same substantial piece-of-machinery feel that the SRB has, a feel you just don't get from molded plastic parts.

Think it's too expensive? Don't get one. But you can't play with mine.