RA1028

Bruiser 2012 (spy photo from Nuremberg Toy Fair 2012

I see the first NIB has appeared in the showrooms.

Now the race is on to see who posts the first pics of one built, run, and covered in mud :o

I'll throw my NIB in a mud puddle :angry:

How do these people do it ?. Still a long way till the release date .

Or is it the RC magazine people , Tamiya sellers / shops , importers etc .

WHY!! don't i have one yet sad.gif OH Please !! :angry:

They have to do a special edition with the box art printed upside down for the Australia market :blink::o

They have to do a special edition with the box art printed upside down for the Australia market ;):)

:) , So this is why i can't get one yet ? .... :D

"But" then again, my screen is set upside down to compensate for it :P .

:lol::lol:

What motor will you use, those of you planning on purchasing and building the Bruiser?

Will you use the kit-supplied RS540 or an aftermarket?

I know the manual says not to use anything other than the kit-supplied motor, but come on... the RS540 is the weakest possible choice.

Maybe Tamiya is worried about gear damage in the diffs or too much torque in the driveshaft universal joints? In the Mountaineer the driveshafts were the weakest link by far, followed by the rear pumpkin drive gear/bevel.

I do not agree that the 2012 Bruiser with RS540 will be anywhere near the power of the Mountaineer with RS750, gearbox improvements or not. There simply was not that much power loss in the old gearbox, definitely not the difference between the 540 and 750. The 750 could lay a patch in high gear on smooth concrete.

I do not plan on using the stock 540. Not that I'm looking for more speed, rather torque. Not sure what to use, although I know it will not be brushless. Maybe a Tamiya GT Tuned for the 500 g/cm of torque (vs ~250 g/cm for the stock 540). Still thinking. Tamiya motor reference: http://www.zaonce.com/stuff/motors/motors.htm

This my first post on this thread and I`ve enjoyed reading the many arguments but I think a few people are missing the point ......... Its a BRUISER :lol: , I can`t really afford it, the country is in a mess :) but who the badword cares !!!!!! :D I`m takin myself back to the 80`s and Getting myself one :)

P.s ...... Don`t tell the wife :lol:

Spot on!

I do not plan on using the stock 540. Not that I'm looking for more speed, rather torque. Not sure what to use, although I know it will not be brushless. Maybe a Tamiya GT Tuned for the 500 g/cm of torque (vs ~250 g/cm for the stock 540). Still thinking. Tamiya motor reference: http://www.zaonce.com/stuff/motors/motors.htm

CR tuned, perhaps?

Tamiya CR Tuned #54114

Turns: 35T

Voltage: 7.2V

RPM when not loaded: 12,000 RPM (7.2V)

Motor Size: 540

Gear Ratio: 32.4~50.6

Max. Torque: 36.7mN-m (7.2V)

147320toppic.jpg

- James

What motor will you use, those of you planning on purchasing and building the Bruiser?

Will you use the kit-supplied RS540 or an aftermarket?

I know the manual says not to use anything other than the kit-supplied motor, but come on... the RS540 is the weakest possible choice.

Maybe Tamiya is worried about gear damage in the diffs or too much torque in the driveshaft universal joints? In the Mountaineer the driveshafts were the weakest link by far, followed by the rear pumpkin drive gear/bevel.

I do not agree that the 2012 Bruiser with RS540 will be anywhere near the power of the Mountaineer with RS750, gearbox improvements or not. There simply was not that much power loss in the old gearbox, definitely not the difference between the 540 and 750. The 750 could lay a patch in high gear on smooth concrete.

It said the same thing in the f350 manual & i bet most changed it .

I think I would change it for more low down torque or even a crawling type motor depending on how I end up running it. It will also look a lot nicer with a modified motor there. I still love how much better modified brushed motors look compared to the closed in cases of brushless!

I guess brushless will be better for more control and ability to modify esc on pc etc. Not sure if many brushed set ups about now for that.

I think I would change it for more low down torque or even a crawling type motor depending on how I end up running it. It will also look a lot nicer with a modified motor there. I still love how much better modified brushed motors look compared to the closed in cases of brushless!

I guess brushless will be better for more control and ability to modify esc on pc etc. Not sure if many brushed set ups about now for that.

castle ESC 's are also compatable with brushed motors ( mamba max ) but i'am not sure if you'd be able to adjust the timing ect . Maybe MARK TA would know ?

Comparing a Bruiser to an exotic car is not even a logical comparison. Exotic cars are built with the finest and often times most rare and expensive materials, put together with great precision and care. TONS of research goes into cars that go 200mph or more and this is not cheap either. Figure this with the fact that exotic cars are usually built in limited numbers thus making the price even higher to cover all the costs with just a few units. So are you telling me this Bruiser is made out of carbon fiber and titanium built by the best people in the world and millions of dollars of research put into it and produced in limited numbers, thus justifying it's cost? I have news for you, it is made of plastic and cheap metals, little to no research went into it, they already did that the first time and they are not limited by any means of the imagination, and then they just toss it all in a box. At least with a Lamborghini you get a bottle of champagne to go with your reaming... Tamiya knows the market for these, and knows they can make them way over priced, so they did. Plain and simple. That is economics... I'm not complaining because it is out of my price range either, I am complaining because it is blatant over pricing of a product. Kind of makes me think of that other thing we all pay to much for, OIL... There is more than enough of it, yet they charge as much as they want for it, why? Because they can, that's why.... Not because of demand or quality that is for sure...

Comparing a Bruiser to an exotic car is not even a logical comparison. Exotic cars are built with the finest and often times most rare and expensive materials, put together with great precision and care. TONS of research goes into cars that go 200mph or more and this is not cheap either. Figure this with the fact that exotic cars are usually built in limited numbers thus making the price even higher to cover all the costs with just a few units. So are you telling me this Bruiser is made out of carbon fiber and titanium built by the best people in the world and millions of dollars of research put into it and produced in limited numbers, thus justifying it's cost? I have news for you, it is made of plastic and cheap metals, little to no research went into it, they already did that the first time and they are not limited by any means of the imagination, and then they just toss it all in a box. At least with a Lamborghini you get a bottle of champagne to go with your reaming... Tamiya knows the market for these, and knows they can make them way over priced, so they did. Plain and simple. That is economics... I'm not complaining because it is out of my price range either, I am complaining because it is blatant over pricing of a product. Kind of makes me think of that other thing we all pay to much for, OIL... There is more than enough of it, yet they charge as much as they want for it, why? Because they can, that's why.... Not because of demand or quality that is for sure...

WHO CARES ? If you can afford one then buy it . If not dont . SIMPLE

...built in limited numbers thus making the price even higher to cover all the costs with just a few units. So are you telling me this Bruiser is made out of carbon fiber and titanium built by the best people in the world...

no, that would be the TB Evolution III Surikarn Edition :D still by far the fanciest Tamiya kit - all CF & Ti bling

Egress had CF & Ti screws too, but didn't look as bling.

Whatever we think about the price, Tamiya know the market far far far FAR better than anyone on here, or even us all collectively. They know they can sell Bruisers at pretty much any price up to the market value of an original NIB, perhaps even slightly more if their marketing people could convince buyers of some superiority. They will have a minimum revenue they need to recoup from the re-isuue costs, whether sourcing new moulds, new supplies, new packaging etc - these all cost money after all.

How they recoup this is very much their business - X units at £1k each or 2X units at £500 each etc etc

Yes Tamiya know they will have some collectors who must have every model, a percentage of nostalgia sales (possibly quite high percentage for this model) and a percentage of new interest sales.

The Trailfinder is a very good price for what it is, but look at the price of the RC4WD Bruiser to compare like with like; $699 just for the chassis - you've still got to add electrics ($50 minimum) plus a detailed body ($100 ?).

WHO CARES ? If you can afford one then buy it . If not dont . SIMPLE

Bromvw, you are being far too rational. These guys want to find every possible reason not to get one in a futile attempt to stop themselves from ordering. Just like every rere that has come out, once it is readily available all the nay-saying will stop.

2nd one has turned up on TC main page . So the bruiser is slowly teasing us .

CR tuned, perhaps?

Tamiya CR Tuned #54114

Turns: 35T

Voltage: 7.2V

RPM when not loaded: 12,000 RPM (7.2V)

Motor Size: 540

Gear Ratio: 32.4~50.6

Max. Torque: 36.7mN-m (7.2V)

- James

Hi James. That might be a good choice as it is a balance between the stock 540 and the GT tuned, plus it is lower RPM, good for crawling.

Using this site to convert motor torque: http://www.nmbtc.com/engineering/tools/mot...rsion-tool.html

I see that 36.7mN-m is 371 g-cm of torque, vs 500 g-cm for the GT Tuned motor. I think I will still opt for the higher rpm, higher torque GT Tuned motor.

Finally, I have a NIB and get to build one of these after more than 30 years ... cost me my year's budget for RC but I don't care ... love it!!!

Get yours soon guys ...

P1010790.jpg

P1010791.jpg

P1010792.jpg

P1010793.jpg

P1010794.jpg

P1010795.jpg

P1010796.jpg

P1010797.jpg

P1010798.jpg

P1010799.jpg

P1010800.jpg

P1010801.jpg

P1010802.jpg

P1010803.jpg

Mmm i bet it even smells gooood, all I can is wheres mine? To lol

Finally, I have a NIB and get to build one of these after more than 30 years ... cost me my year's budget for RC but I don't care ... love it!!!

Get yours soon guys ...

P1010790.jpg

P1010803.jpg

congrats bro.....hoping to get mi soon too.....

Bromvw, you are being far too rational. These guys want to find every possible reason not to get one in a futile attempt to stop themselves from ordering. Just like every rere that has come out, once it is readily available all the nay-saying will stop.

I'am just a rational kind of guy :rolleyes: Face it before the re re Buggy Champ AKA Rough Rider who in their right mind would cut up a body shell to build a FUNCO ;) ?

Get yours soon guys ...

Nice! How much did you end up paying then?

And what changed your mind after making the comments below?? :rolleyes:

Realistically, I think it could be around USD 950 retail when it hits the shelf, which, sadly is way out of my budget (as tempting as it may be to have the opportunity to build a Bruiser). I can think of many things I can do with that kind of money.

Nice! How much did you end up paying then?

And what changed your mind after making the comments below?? :rolleyes:

Less than that ... (much closer to what Skottoman estimated) although I was right about the retail price.

Seeing the thing in the flesh helped push me over the edge too ;)

Seeing the thing in the flesh helped push me over the edge too ;)

I expect that will happen with an awful lot of people. Just seing them in people's showrooms should do the trick. :rolleyes:

I think i'll fit a 17.5 brushless in mine for the added efficiency & run time :rolleyes: