Sign in to follow this  
KalEl63

What Truck To Get

Ok out of the list below (only ranked in price) I am wondering what would be the best Truck kit to get. I like all 4 so I guess I am going more on how much cool stuff I can squeeze into the kit.

Due to me being a complete noob to these kits :D and thanks to Skottoman I now have to get one of these (after some serious reading up) I also think this will be possible as the wife loves these too so a shoe in the door already ;)

Any advice opinions welcome remember looks of these don’t matter as I like them all and sorry if this has been asked before

56309 Ford Aeromax

56304 Globe Liner

56323 Scania R620 Highline

56314 Knight Hauler

Haha... sorry to be helping you empty your wallet... Glad the wife is on board, mine is as well...

Well, you have 3 American rigs, and 1 Euro rig. So part of it depends on your style.

I am also a noob to trucks. I will say the knight hauler has tons of room inside to maneuver your electrics to fit. I'm assuming (noob here) that the Scania is much harder to squeeze everything in.

The Knight hauler is the only one that has a hidden door for the MFU controls (which I find nice), the rest of the trucks have it out and visible.

I think no matter which you get, you'll be addicted, and see that it's pretty much the ultimate build. Sooooo much fun. In fact, I'm taking a break from working on my flatbed trailer right now!

I really like the looks of the Scania, which is why I have a 470 on order... heh...

Cheers,

Skottoman

I know I want whatever truck I decide to get to has to be a tri axle. (think thats right :D)

I also forgot 56301 King Hauler

The Globe Loner reminds me of Optimus Prime from the 80’s Transformers cartoon and the King Hauler of the same but the recent Transformers movies. (Child of the Transformers in the 80’s)

The Aeromax and Knight Hauler have that more modern look to it and yes the Scania is European

Yeah I would like things a hidden as possible.

Well, if you choose "proper" electronics, you may hide in any of the models, but if you choose the Tamiya mfu-brick, it´s getting a bit harder, especially in the cabover-trucks..

I have built quite a few Scanias now, and my own next truck-project will be a Knight Hauler, dressed up as an Australian truck.. At least, that´s my idea sofar, but both the idea and the truck-plan may change at some point, lol. :D

But the most "real-reference" one is the Scania, as all the others have a little "this and that" of some different 1:1 trucks, but no 100% certain reference, probably a lincensing issue..

One of the biggest advantages of the Scania (besides the looks) over the other trucks is that it has the shortest wheelbase, and therefore, smaller turning circle, especially when fitting the front-axle the opposite way round, compared to the manual, in which it has been put on "the wrong way", but this has probably something to do with lining up servos and so on in the chassis, but it´s an easy fix. :)

Cheers.

Michael

Watching with interest here :D

I'm in the same boat.....All your fault Skottoman :)

Although a Bruiser build may ave a similar effect with all it's metal, but is much more expensive

Definitely torn

Watching with interest here :D

I'm in the same boat.....All your fault Skottoman :)

Although a Bruiser build may ave a similar effect with all it's metal, but is much more expensive

Definitely torn

until I get MFU or similar to install, then the price gap closes dramatically

Yeah I was the same with Tundra as you are with the Bruiser but now I have my CC01 FJ40 (I know it's not in the same league as the Tundra) I am happy with that and would rather put some funds into something like this.

Plus the Tundra is only a Rolls Royce of the FJ40 therefore duplication in my collection.... well that’s what I keep telling myself :D

Thanks for the input gozone and worth considering too

I had to tell my wife about this thread, because it's really *her* fault! She's the one that got me the Knight Hauler for Christmas!

HAhaha.....

Cheers,

Skottoman

I had to tell my wife about this thread, because it's really *her* fault! She's the one that got me the Knight Hauler for Christmas!

HAhaha.....

Cheers,

Skottoman

Well the pair of you have a lot to answer for! Can I introduce you to my wife? She'd like to have a word! :lol:

I can see it now the divorce papers read “reason for divorce: Skottoman’s wife bought him an amazing present and sadly mine did not know how to rise to that level” :lol:

Just kidding

I can see it now the divorce papers read “reason for divorce: Skottoman’s wife bought him an amazing present and sadly mine did not know how to rise to that level” :lol:

Just kidding

Haha, classic

That's funny! :lol:

So what trucks are you all getting and when do the build threads start!

Cheers,

Skottoman

Can I throw in the MAN truck as a choice?

The reason the MFU fits the Knight Hauler so well is that's the one it was initially designed for

Personally I prefer the Euro trucks (they are after all scale models of REAL trucks)

The American trucks are loosely based on bits of American trucks

Scott is that the same lovely girl who you introduced us ex-TamiyaXtreme guys to all those years ago?

Can I throw in the MAN truck as a choice?

The reason the MFU fits the Knight Hauler so well is that's the one it was initially designed for

Personally I prefer the Euro trucks (they are after all scale models of REAL trucks)

The American trucks are loosely based on bits of American trucks

Scott is that the same lovely girl who you introduced us ex-TamiyaXtreme guys to all those years ago?

Wow, you remember.... how cool! Yes, it is the same one. :)

The MAN trucks are also nice looking. You pretty much can't go wrong with any of them, just depends on your style.

But yes, there is a LOT of room in the Knight hauler. So much that it inculdes a larger speaker box. Or you can just make the over cab into a speaker box and create a bed for your sleeper cabin. Haha.

Cheers,

Skottoman

Wow, you remember.... how cool! Yes, it is the same one. :)

The MAN trucks are also nice looking. You pretty much can't go wrong with any of them, just depends on your style.

But yes, there is a LOT of room in the Knight hauler. So much that it inculdes a larger speaker box. Or you can just make the over cab into a speaker box and create a bed for your sleeper cabin. Haha.

Cheers,

Skottoman

Oh yes I remember the thread you did about meeting her and it going for over a year with the culmination of you guys getting married and coming over to the UK for honeymoon

I've owned a Globe Liner with flatbed,Volvo,Scania with box trailer,the Scania had all the options too,the electric legs are really cool

Unfortuately I had to sell the Scania as I needed the money(had a stroke August 2010,all fine now though,thank whichever god you may believe in)

You still got the TG10s?

I still have every RC I've ever built. All the way back to the TG10s... Running out of room!

To the thread topic, I guess the answer is...

BUY ALL THE TRUCKS! :)

No seriously, can't wait to see which you choose... Let us know your decision!

Cheers,

Skottoman

Ok I have narrowed it down to 3

56309 Ford Aeromax

56314 Knight Hauler

56301 King Hauler

Why I think I like the long nose look just that bit better than the flat nose. Now I have to figure out of these three which one to go for.

Ok I have narrowed it down to 3

56309 Ford Aeromax

56314 Knight Hauler

56301 King Hauler

Why I think I like the long nose look just that bit better than the flat nose. Now I have to figure out of these three which one to go for.

So now either vintage (king), or more modern (knight, aero).

It appears there are more "modification" options for the King Hauler as it's been around for a while, but anything is possible with styrene!

Looking forward to your choice and build!

Cheers,

Skottoman

So now either vintage (king), or more modern (knight, aero).

It appears there are more "modification" options for the King Hauler as it's been around for a while, but anything is possible with styrene!

Looking forward to your choice and build!

Cheers,

Skottoman

A Mack Rudder Duck as in Convoy would look sweet as B)

Yes, the bodykits from RCmodeltruck should fit the Tamiya-chassis, however, its not for beginners, as they need some fitting. Also, a T-model nose-kit is available, using the original Tamiya-cab, but still not for newcomers to modelling.. If in doubt, contact Bjarne through the "kontakt" tab on the homepage.. he speaks English too. :D

From the mentioned choices, i would go for the Kngiht Hauler.. The King looks too "old" and has been seen in numerous differetn setups through time, and the Aeromax is simply.. Well.. Ugly... :D

Anyway, that´s my opinion. :P

I am sure you will have fun whatever model you choose.

Cheers..

Michael

From the mentioned choices, i would go for the Kngiht Hauler.. The King looks too "old" and has been seen in numerous differetn setups through time, and the Aeromax is simply.. Well.. Ugly... :D

Michael

That's what I was going to say, but didn't really want to come out and say it. Haha...

GO KNIGHT HAULER! (plus you can reference my build thread for details!)

Yes, the bodykits from RCmodeltruck should fit the Tamiya-chassis, however, its not for beginners, as they need some fitting.

Cheers..

Michael

Oh good, they'll fit. Don't think I need to worry too much about the beginner issue, so I do qualify but thanks for the warning.

Now ... when to let go of the funds? :D Probably this Spring and I'm only going for one truck and it will be an armor hauler/transporter.

~ Jeff