76capri

Junkyard Fox Finally Upgraded to Brushless!

My junkyard Fox has been getting quite a bit of use lately.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65045

Once the repairs proved themselves I began to make it faster....

The original motor was quickly replaced with a 24T motor with an 18 tooth gear and a vintage Novak controller. Then a 12T Traxxas Titan motor with the same 18tooth gear......

Today I did my first run with an EZrun 9T 35A brushless system installed and a 14tooth pinion gear. HOLY ****! I needed a grinectomy! The sound the gears made at full throttle is unlike any sound I've ever hear from any vintage Tamiya car. I guess I'm happy I didn't go with a faster motor.

This is with a 5000Mah NIMH battery. I expect a small bump in performance from a Lipo battery...

Do I dare run an 18 tooth gear???? The car is not what I call controllable, but **** power slides in the parking lot was loads of fun. The ONLY way to turn is to crank the wheel hard, hit the brakes and then get back on the throttle and push through the slide...What Fun!

Sounds great, next is tires to get a grip.

The rears are a used set of proline tires. Actually, they grip just right. I tried foam tires and it flips in high speed turns. With the prolines it slips perfect for power slides in turns with no flipping.

I do have to glue the tires to the rims now. They are constantly coming off the rims.

I hear you on the glue issue. I finally went to gorilla glue when I still ran foams. Are the prolines reinforced? otherwise you might want to look at how big they get at RPM. Or maybe not, sometimes it's not a pretty picture.

It's a semi worn down, vintage set of pro-lines. VERY soft. I might want to belt them with duct tape, but they will still need to be glued. They swell massively. I ran foams, but the car flipped every time I did a high speed turn. With these tires the car slides nicely...

I like the Muchmore mid level compound reinforced tires. I asked the locals what they used on their race buggies and tried them on the 956. Real stable, minimal balooning and they break loose when they should. Something like 35 bucks for 4 on 12mm hex rims, I push the 956s pretty hard when the weather allows.

Well, this car is 100% used parts right now. A junkyard dog (fox) and a testbed for what will and won't work...a true exercise in silliness...your suggestions are welcomed.

Glue...I need glue...and more Plastex. Off road run + 30MPH flip= broken chassis (Again!!!) but that's an update for another thread!!

Glued the tires down and added an 18 tooth gear. The old prolines balloon like crazy. I guess that helps the top end though ;)

I think I've reached the edge of stupidity on how fast a Fox should go.....Now, could go is another question...

I think It's time to buy a TA06 though if I really want a fast car :lol:

Kinda disappointed with some testing today.....

My Junkyard Fox managed an average of 34.5 MPH as told by a GPS strapped to the front of it. I was really under the impression that it was doing 35-40MPH....

The current combo is the 9T ezrun with an 18 tooth pinion....

I'll be upgrading to a lipo pack soon. I wonder if I could squeeze a 3s battery into the car somehow, just to see how fast a fox can go....

Keep us posted! This is interesting to read and follow. GPS are amazing... cool to get actual speeds.

You should get a big boost from Lipos, at least from what I understand about Lipos...

HI!... Cool thread. I have a BIGWIG that I custom fabricated up a aluminum chassis for. It's running a 5.5T, 6000KV brushless motor in it on a 3S 5000mAh lipo. I've GPS'ed it at 82KPH which is about 50MPH. It's basically uncontrollable any faster than that. The center driveshaft was spinning so fast that it created the "skipping rope" effect and was hitting the top of the lipo cutting the outer case. I had to custom build a 3X thicker driveshaft from a TRAXXAS E-REVO and modify some Blackfoot out drives to accept it. Lot of work but fun! Especially when your 26 year old RC car destroys your buddies brand new cars in the parking lot. lol!

th_IMG_0653.jpg

th_IMG_0660.jpg

th_IMG_0661.jpg

th_IMG_0114.jpg

th_IMG_0650.jpg

A re release Hot Shot aluminum propeller shaft an cups will do the work easier and faster ;-)

Max

HI!... Cool thread. I have a BIGWIG that I custom fabricated up a aluminum chassis for. It's running a 5.5T, 6000KV brushless motor in it on a 3S 5000mAh lipo. I've GPS'ed it at 82KPH which is about 50MPH. It's basically uncontrollable any faster than that. The center driveshaft was spinning so fast that it created the "skipping rope" effect and was hitting the top of the lipo cutting the outer case. I had to custom build a 3X thicker driveshaft from a TRAXXAS E-REVO and modify some Blackfoot out drives to accept it. Lot of work but fun! Especially when your 26 year old RC car destroys your buddies brand new cars in the parking lot. lol!

A re release Hot Shot aluminum propeller shaft an cups will do the work easier and faster ;-)

Max

HI!... Probably, but I built this 3 years ago before the HOTSHOT RE-RE was out. Plus I wanted a steel driveshaft.

I've progressed to a 19tooth pinion and a 2s 20C Lipo battery.....

She now lifts the wheels even at a roll once I stab the throttle.....

I managed 41.5MPH. The car is basically uncontrollable. A car that basically goes in a straight line.

I'll make a few more runs once I finish mounting the new rims and tires. I don't expect to squeak more than 42MPH....I'll then install a 14tooth pinion to return it to being a drivable car.

I am considering getting a 3S battery and modding the tub to squeeze it in there...just to see how fast a Fox can go. I think with 3S she should break 50MPH....

Strapping a GPS to it is probably robbing the top speed of 3-4 mph, even more if its a bulk unit that ruins the aerodynamics.

Be good to know when you get it over 50mph

I've got a Stadium Blitzer to 46mph with a 5.5 brushless and a 3s LiPo, although it took some work to stop it lifting the front at 40mph+. Still not managed to get it to full throttle without a bad ending lol.

1st set of tyres ended up doing this!

P3090473.jpg

HI!... Probably, but I built this 3 years ago before the HOTSHOT RE-RE was out. Plus I wanted a steel driveshaft.

Hotshot re re was in 2007 ? .

Be good to know when you get it over 50mph

Just won a 1000mah 11.1 battery on ebay. It's a mini 20c-50c that should fit the Fox tub nicely or maybe even in the battery tray. Hopefully that will get me to 50.....

Well I wanted to run my car junkyard fox a bit so I reduced the pinion to a 14 tooth. The car is still fairly uncontrollable and literally smokes the new 2.2" tires....

The 11.1V battery cam in yesterday. it fits inside the tub as it is very small....

With the 14tooth gear I managed a best of 46.5MPH using the Garmin GPS as ballast to hold down the front of the car!

In goes the 19 tooth gear for one final series of runs....Should hit 50MPH easily. Well, probably not easily. The car is not even close to controllable.

Once I'm done I'll install a 13 tooth gear and go back to the 7.4 Lipos.....

Look forward to your results.

45mph+ is mad in any of these old bashers....I crindge everytime I have to slow down in my Blitzer.

I was hoping to get out with mine today with the new wheel combo, but rain stopped play. No point even trying with a damp road! :lol:

Good luck :unsure:

45mph+ is mad in any of these old bashers....I crindge everytime I have to slow down in my Blitzer.

I was hoping to get out with mine today with the new wheel combo, but rain stopped play. No point even trying with a damp road! :lol:

Do you have a smart phone, with the gps speed app? I strapped my phone down, which would be lighter than a Garmin.

Cheers

Do you have a smart phone, with the gps speed app? I strapped my phone down, which would be lighter than a Garmin.

Cheers

Frankly, I need the ballast. Without some weight on the front the car lifts at anything over 30MPH. I was running the car yesterday to see how long I could run the car with the new battery. I strapped a lead fishing weight to the bumper to keep the nose down!

The new 18 tooth gear is in. I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to run it again, but from how much the tires balloon I expect I'll break 50MPH easily.

It's definately Mad. It's an exercise in futility. The car is way too fast to really be much fun. I just want to see how fast it will go. I need at least 600-700 feet to speed up and slow down. The autobrake needs to be turned off on the ESC. Even at it's lowest the car wants to flip when the autobrake engages. The car doesn't exactly stop anyway.

The car needs a wide open space to be safe. I managed to explode a lower front suspension arm after hitting a fence post. I don't think there is enough Plastex to put it back together. Luckily it was the side that I have 5 or 6 spares instead of the other side where I only have 2.

I'm quite lucky as I work on an Airfield, so I've got a nice long smooth run. Although it still takes some distance, basically from the 2 furthest points that my Transmitter will reach! Although today I was going flat out and as it was so stable I let it go out of range and come to a stop itself

To keep the front down at speed I've put the back up quite high, the front low with a splitter (I'm sure you've seen it in my Blitzer topic), seems to work well. Had no issues today at all.

I guess I could modify the car itself to handle better, but that misses the point of my little exercise. The car is, except for electronics, stock.

Well, then there's the non stock rims....Before I end my little experiment I'll put a set of stock rims back on the car. That should slow it down the tiniest bit due to wheel circumference...

I'll revive this idea once I get a larger motor. I'm planning on building a TA06 and will probably install a higher KV motor than the 9T in it. Now that 50MPH is possible I wonder if 60 is :)

Amazing thing is how fast I'm going with so little invested. I have more money in Plastex repair resin than I do in the whole car. LOL. It's all just bits that anyone would have tossed in the bin.....When I sold other parts off the car was free.

$18 in rims and tires and $175 in electronics...