Sign in to follow this  
Rypien

buggy to tourer conversion

hey guys.

My first post at these forums, and i hope to stay a while and learn a thing or two.

Been a Tamiya user for quite a few years, and only recently dusted off the cobwebs of my ole R/C gear and have got the R/C bug yet again [8D]

I own a heap of old parts (Fox, Mad Cap, Boomerang, Astute) and two working cars (Super Astute and Terra Conqueror). The Super Astute is highly modified and lowered for on-road carpet racing that i did a few years ago. Our local club had a few 'buggies' that they used to let race on-road [:0]. The car has kyosho gold shocks, custon front shock tower, drilled chassis, and a few other bells and whistles that made it the bane of many an RC10 and Losi *grins*

The Terra 4WD on the other hand was purchased at a garage sale two years ago. It was never actually built and came in the original box but with most of the packs inside opened and parts everywhere. I bought the box for $20 (stupid fool who sold it!) and took it home and put it away for parts if i ever needed them for other tamiya models (it still had the complete ball bearing set). Last week i was doing a bit of a clean up and dragged out my gear. The Super Astute fired up right away, and then i decided to try and make up a car out of all of the spares that i have laying around. Managed to build a complete Terra Conqueror (albeit without rims and body shell) with the help of a couple of sourced parts that fitted easily.

I don't want to take it off road and instead want to try and convert it into an on-road 4WD tourer. I can imagine putting a graphite chassis and tourer shocks on her would almost do the trick .....?

Any ideas on how and if this conversion is possible?

cheers

First of all you will have to get or make suitable drive shafts. I once seen a kyosho lazer that had been converted to a touring car. The chassis stayed pretty much the same but the suspension and drive shafts had to be modified. You could proably use existing tamiya wishbones and drive shafts from another car.

Might be easier to sell the terra conqueror and buy a used touring car. I have seen some really nice ones go for dirt cheap.

Jim

Yeah, i suppose i should really bite the bullet and purchase a regular on-road tourer. Just thought that i might be able to get away with a cheap conversion.

As far as the tourer scene goes i don't know too much. The last time i was into R/C the TAo2 was the king of the tamiya stable. I remember really liking the ones kitted out with the graphite chassis, and i still fancy the idea of picking one of these up cheap and racing with it.

I know there are some newer belt-driven tourers out there, but i would like to stick to shaft driven cars. In saying that, is the TAo2 my only option? And if so, are there still parts readily available?

cheers

the choice is up to you. I am really partial to the HPI cars. I have an original RS4, a Pro 2 and a Nitro racer 2. If you wanted a shaft drive car I would go with an associated TC3. I know blasphemy for not recomending a tamiya car but I have my reasons.

Jim

Tamiya makes a nice shaft chassis, the TB01, which exists also in EVO 1-3 versions, (1 is older, 3 is the newest). The same chassis can be used also for Rallye cars.

Cheers

The TB-01 is very nice. My brother just got the Ford Focus (with the 'dust / water-proof' foams and lids) and it handles very well. The Focus body shell is cool too, nice detail. But as far as I know not all parts from the TB evo's and the TB-01's are exchangable, which is strange but true! [:o]

I think it's more sensible to buy another car then trying to convert a perfect working car into somehing else, leaving you with a awfull lot of (useless) spares... [;)]