Sign in to follow this  
Tony Truand

How to shorten the wheelbase on TB01 ?

Hi guys !

I will get a TB01 in the end of this week to test how fun is the rally driving, and I would get the Datsun 240Z Rally body. But the wheelbases are different as I saw on the web. On the one hand the TB01 has standard 257mm and the other hand the Datsun body has 251 mm, so 6mm to reduce.

Well, have you any idea to do that ?

Thanks !

Regards.

Tony.

Hi guys !

I will get a TB01 in the end of this week to test how fun is the rally driving, and I would get the Datsun 240Z Rally body. But the wheelbases are different as I saw on the web. On the one hand the TB01 has standard 257mm and the other hand the Datsun body has 251 mm, so 6mm to reduce.

Well, have you any idea to do that ?

Thanks !

Regards.

Tony.

firstly i'd actually see how it looks mounted on the chassis . 6mm is'nt much and your eye may well lose the differance . If not try messing about with the off sets of the wheels . this will visually fill the arches and may well solve it

Is it possible to shave 3mm off each suspension arm and use a spacer to shift the wheels 6mm closer together? B)

Is it possible to shave 3mm off each suspension arm and use a spacer to shift the wheels 6mm closer together? B)

It is, and 3mm at each end shouldn't affect the dogbones too much either.

Not perhaps the best engineering solution but a good last resort :(

I agree don't start cutting before you have the body shell to test fit. You maybe able to move or widen the arches to get the effect you want.

But if you really need to shorten the wheelbase by 6mm, looking at my TB01 I recon your best option would be to trim 3mm off the front and rear swing arms where they meet the body. This'll let you move them inwards and then fill the gap with a 3mm spacer. Adjusting by just 3mm should probably allow you the keep the standard dog bones and hopefully won't create any binding issues.

Edit: Looks like we've all come to the same result B) that's a good sign. Good thing with this method is if it doesn't work you just need new swing arms to revert back to normal.

I agree don't start cutting before you have the body shell to test fit. You maybe able to move or widen the arches to get the effect you want.

But if you really need to shorten the wheelbase by 6mm, looking at my TB01 I recon your best option would be to trim 3mm off the front and rear swing arms where they meet the body. This'll let you move them inwards and then fill the gap with a 3mm spacer. Adjusting by just 3mm should probably allow you the keep the standard dog bones and hopefully won't create any binding issues.

Edit: Looks like we've all come to the same result :( that's a good sign. Good thing with this method is if it doesn't work you just need new swing arms to revert back to normal.

Edit: Looks like we've all come to the same result wink.gif that's a good sign. Good thing with this method is if it doesn't work you just need new swing arms to revert back to normal. <<<<<< Or put the 3mm spacer on the other side you took the 3 mm out ........

I don't have that chassis , BUT can you turn the rear or the front lower arms around ?????? . Just asking as an option .. B)

Yes but that would increase the wheelbase and causes the dogbones to fowl especially at the front with the steering.

The one problem you may get with shortening the swing arm method is you will be moving the wheels closer to the body tub. 3mm may be ok but go further and they might start rubbing.

The front and rear arms come in two pieces, so you can take them apart and put in some 3mm spacers, four spacers per arm, two in the arms where they screw together. And one in each end to secure the hub and chassis. Then use ball jointed top arms and you are cooking with gas.

No cutting needed, plus to change it back you just remove them.

Ok guys, I will work on the front&rear arms to try to reduce 3 mm each. But I can do that when I'll get my TB01 this week. At starting I thought that the Datsun 240Z Rally has a standard wheelbase, but not. It's a shame.

firstly i'd actually see how it looks mounted on the chassis . 6mm is'nt much and your eye may well lose the differance . If not try messing about with the off sets of the wheels . this will visually fill the arches and may well solve it

Yeah 6mm on a touring car shell makes a BIG difference! It'd look absolutely hideous...