Sign in to follow this  
mk1joe

m05 gearing

hi,

im currently building a brushless m05 chassis, i would like to know is there any way of changing the gearing other than just changing the pinion? i have a very low turn brushless ready for it, so does anyone know what sort of gear ratio i should be aiming for? i amuse i want as low ratio as possible? also i will be buying the hardened gear set for extra strength.

thanks for the help

joe

no matter what gear's you use a low turn bl motor will be too much for fwd. i've tried it, was not fun at all.

I think due to the lack of grip you can run any gearing without over loading the motor. I have never changed from the standard 20T pinion and that's with silver can, super stock rz, and brushless 3300kv and 4350kv. Even with 5700kv and higher I doubt anything smaller than the 16T pinion would be needed.

Test with 16T and monitor the motor temps.

really? what happened? i bet the back end didnt spinn out though.

no matter what pinion i used on a high kv brushless the car was nearly undriveable, burned through tires like crazy, even with throttle control. i had to turn the throttle expo down so much it was pointless to have a big motor in there.

Someone chose to run a 6.5 in a mini open class we had recently - ripped through the front tyres on the first run.

Front-wheel drive and big power is neither logical nor fun. You just wheelspin the power away and make the car uncontrollable.

OK, thanks for the help, i will probably build the kit with standard motor at first and think about brushless later, would any one recommend a size of brushless that the chassis could handle and possibly a sensored one to as that's what my ESC is, and possibly even a trade if someone wants a low turn motor.

thanks again

joe

3300kv appears to be a popular standard for racing and I found it about right, but you still needed a clean surface.

I tried 4350kv but that was excessive for the chassis.

The problem I had was I needed more grip, but more grip just meant it traction rolled.

I am running the silver can now...but that's for twisty track racing.

cool, that sounds about right. i dont intend to track race mine though, ive got a nice dead straight flat long road to play on so i was going for out right speed.

thanks

joe

I've got a 17t in mine and that's about all it can handle. I've got a 3300 kv brushless I could have tried but I prefer brushed if I want controllable brakes. With more motor you need good shocks too. If your set on brushless I'd try the 16 pinion and hope it works.