Sign in to follow this  
Daves956

M05 limitations

I was looking at the M series and it made me wonder how much power they can handle. There isn't much info on the front wheel drive m05, but a front wheel car might be fun. Knowing me, I'd be hopping it up right away so any input on what it can take would help.

I was looking at the M series and it made me wonder how much power they can handle. There isn't much info on the front wheel drive m05, but a front wheel car might be fun. Knowing me, I'd be hopping it up right away so any input on what it can take would help.

No idea about the M05, but I've got two M03s and I find that anything hotter than a Sport Tuned makes them difficult to drive, -- though that might just be my poor driving skills as I've seen others put brushless combos in them.

edit- AAAAAARGH! Apostrophe error!

I was hoping it would be ok with a 3500 kv brushless that's too hot for rear wheel drive. Front drive would spin instead of turning it around. I'm rethinking some of the cars here, some are too fast and others too slow, some are shelf queens that should be run but I'm still thinking about adding to them. Sort of balancing things out before summer.

If the motor is too hot for rear-wheel drive it will be too hot for front wheel drive as well. You'll just end up with more wheelspin and because of that the car won't handle at all.

As mentioned above, Mini's work best with relatively mild motors, a Sport Tuned or similar would be ideal. We run ours with HPI Saturn 20s and they are on the limit.

Here in Oz we race them with the Hobbywing 13T combo, great fun

I agree with Sayer, and it has been my experience that anything more than a Sport Tuned is difficult to drive. Mostly you just destroy front tires at an alarming rate with excessive wheelspin. (My experience is also with M-03 but I think the M-05 is comparable for this purpose - somebody please correct me if this is untrue!!!)

I use an M-Chassis Acto motor which is plenty fast enough but has a more usable powerband that helps with the wheelspin issue.

I've seen guys with stock silver can motors and Lipo batteries race these cars on a tight indoor circuit and it is insanely fun to watch. I asked if they ever ran faster motors and they said they used to run Sport Tuned motors but thought it was too much - the corner marshals were constantly on the track and the racers got frustrated.

If you want to run a brushless system I would recommend finding something that is as close to a 27t motor as possible. The extra efficiency and maintenance savings might make that a viable choice alone, without harming the driveability of the car.

Otherwise, if you want a really hot motor, buy wheels and tires by the case lot and talk a neighborhood kid into running after the mini cooper to flip it back over all the time. :)

The 3500kv is on 9 cells in the rear wheel one, but would be on 6 in a M05. Maybe geared down a bit it would be ok. I was doing some swapping around with a 3300kv brushed last night and it's pretty close to the brushless one. Basicly I'm thinking about going back to brushed in the 956s and put the motors out of them into different models that can use the power. I looked at the new Honda CRX 58503 model and I think I'll probably go for it. I've never seen anything even close to it and wanted some idea of what to expect. It would be a lot newer than anything here so it could be fun.

The M chassis just bags of fun you won't be disappointed!

This.

M-chassis cars are great fun, whether they are R or FWD, but there is NO such thing as a too hot motor.. It can only be lack of driving skills and self discipline. :mellow:

The throttle is NOT an on/off button, but stepless control, therefore you are able to apply the exact amount of throttle to your car at all times. ;)

In your 1/1 street car, i don´t suppose (or hope), you go full throttle at all times. :ph34r: And learning how to drive an "overpowered" RC-car is even more fun than being able to control it around a track at max speed at all times..

Excessive power at will is amazingly fun to be in charge of.

I run my RWD Associated B4 with a Nosram Pearl ISTC speed control, coupled to a 5,0 turns Nosram Evolution brushless motor, and i doubt anyone will be able to control that at full throttle, however, when throttle is applied "responsibly", it´s great fun to drive, because if you "blip" the throttle the wrong way, you´re off the track, lol. :D

So, in my opinion, when it comes to motor selection, it is only the driver limitations that need to be taken into consideration.. ;)

Cheers.

Michael

• Like 1

M-chassis cars are great fun, whether they are R or FWD, but there is NO such thing as a too hot motor.. It can only be lack of driving skills and self discipline. :mellow:

The throttle is NOT an on/off button, but stepless control, therefore you are able to apply the exact amount of throttle to your car at all times. ;)

In your 1/1 street car, i don´t suppose (or hope), you go full throttle at all times. :ph34r: And learning how to drive an "overpowered" RC-car is even more fun than being able to control it around a track at max speed at all times..

I run my RWD Associated B4 with a Nosram Pearl ISTC speed control, coupled to a 5,0 turns Nosram Evolution brushless motor, and i doubt anyone will be able to control that at full throttle, however, when throttle is applied "responsibly", it´s great fun to drive, because if you "blip" the throttle the wrong way, you´re off the track, lol. :D

great comments , i agree 100% . i'am going to fit a motor in my champ that many have said will be too much for it but its all down to how its driven .

So, in my opinion, when it comes to motor selection, it is only the driver limitations that need to be taken into consideration.. ;)

Cheers.

Michael

I agree 100% . I'am going to fit a motor in my Champ that on paper is too powerful but its all down to how its going to be driven .

This started with a hard look at what gets driven and not and why. 956s need better brakes and I'm going back to brushed in them. Some are being combined to offer the best and it leaves a bunch of parts to play with. One of the brushless is going 4x4 and the other is for a car to be decided. The speed cars get pushed, usually over 50 or more so front wheel drive sounded fun. I'm thinning the herd and looking into something new to add and the CRX looks pretty good to me.

M-chassis cars are great fun, whether they are R or FWD, but there is NO such thing as a too hot motor.. It can only be lack of driving skills and self discipline. :blink:

The throttle is NOT an on/off button, but stepless control, therefore you are able to apply the exact amount of throttle to your car at all times. :D

In your 1/1 street car, i don´t suppose (or hope), you go full throttle at all times. ;) And learning how to drive an "overpowered" RC-car is even more fun than being able to control it around a track at max speed at all times..

Cheers.

Michael

I fully own up to my sub par driving skills, but installing a jet engine into a vehicle that will only ever be driven at 15kph in School Zones doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Why would you go to the trouble of fitting all that power only to use the fraction of it that a less "hot" motor would provide minus the risk of exploding the car all over the road?

i've tried a bunch of hot motor combos and prefer the sport tuned over all of them.

my sport tuned m03 is consistantly faster then the 17.5 brushless m03's at our track.

i've also had the same sport tuned in the car for a long time, it's still just as fast as new, and i'm not nice to it at all.

When you mention sport tuned, what motor are you talking about? What KVA is it? The brushless I'm thinking about was said to be 3300 by the salesman but is listed at 3500 by the manufacturer. I'm sure the difference is effeciancy. That is about the same as this HPI 15T brushed setup I have here. I put that one into a 959 and it's just what it needed. I'm planning on that setup for the 956s and one of the brushless is going into the Hotshot II. I'm looking for a newer car and the CRX looked hopeful but I don't know anything about it and there isn't anything like it in the area that I know of to see it first hand. Just as a reference the Johnson silver can motor is around 2100 kva and a technigold around 2400 kva. I'm not talking something insane but around the 15 to 17T range. Part of the thinking in all of this is to shift the waterproof stuff to cars that can deal with less than ideal situations, like front wheel and 4 wheel drives.. Also keep in mind I run the land rocket 956s at their most, so driving it is less a concern than breaking it.

When you mention sport tuned, what motor are you talking about? What KVA is it? The brushless I'm thinking about was said to be 3300 by the salesman but is listed at 3500 by the manufacturer. I'm sure the difference is effeciancy. That is about the same as this HPI 15T brushed setup I have here. I put that one into a 959 and it's just what it needed. I'm planning on that setup for the 956s and one of the brushless is going into the Hotshot II. I'm looking for a newer car and the CRX looked hopeful but I don't know anything about it and there isn't anything like it in the area that I know of to see it first hand. Just as a reference the Johnson silver can motor is around 2100 kva and a technigold around 2400 kva. I'm not talking something insane but around the 15 to 17T range. Part of the thinking in all of this is to shift the waterproof stuff to cars that can deal with less than ideal situations, like front wheel and 4 wheel drives.. Also keep in mind I run the land rocket 956s at their most, so driving it is less a concern than breaking it.

The Sport Tuned is a 23 turn brushed motor (so not really very hot at all)

I did some motor and ESC swaps tonight and one thing is clear, that brushless velenion doesn't need to be in a 2 wheel drive. I put it in the Hotshot and it really makes it fly, it's waterproof now and it's too fun for words. I put the 20t stinger and Tazer 15t ESC in one of the 956s and it now has brakes with a projected top speed around 55 mph, that's plenty. Down from the 65 or so but brakes were part of the winter task. That puts a Trinity slot machine and Kyosho Le mans SD up for the M05, both are over 20 turns and a couple of sweet motors. Does that sound like a better plan? This also made 2 winter snow cars, a 959 and the hotshot, that way I can at least run something while I'm waiting for summer. I do see a CRX in the near future.

Ok, what an absolute joy this one is. I tried a few wheel and tire combos to test for traction and looks. I think I'll go with the chrome reinforced touring ones. The others are white with reinforced slicks and the "pimp my ride" stock gold ones on stock tires. I redid them in a black metalflake. It does great as long as you remember it's front wheel drive and power straightens you out not brakes. I put a 20t stinger motor with a 10t tazer esc with lipo. Right now it's a 3600 mah NIMH 7.2 volt. With the 20 tooth pinion it handles great and has modest power. I'm going to mess with it and finish the body but it acts like it would handle a brushless really well. I'm enjoying the front wheel drive immensely.

Ok, what an absolute joy this one is. I tried a few wheel and tire combos to test for traction and looks. I think I'll go with the chrome reinforced touring ones. The others are white with reinforced slicks and the "pimp my ride" stock gold ones on stock tires. I redid them in a black metalflake. It does great as long as you remember it's front wheel drive and power straightens you out not brakes. I put a 20t stinger motor with a 10t tazer esc with lipo. Right now it's a 3600 mah NIMH 7.2 volt. With the 20 tooth pinion it handles great and has modest power. I'm going to mess with it and finish the body but it acts like it would handle a brushless really well. I'm enjoying the front wheel drive immensely.

lol way to go there, captain speed-builder. Didn't the postman just bring this? :lol:

Ya, I had everything waiting for it. Only goof on parts was some list of bearings on the internet listed a thrust bearing in it. That's now a spare part for somebody elses car. I picked the ESC because it was Lipo compatable, just in case I wanted to go there. My best guess is that it's around 25 mph tops. Braking is great in it too. It also falls into a tire size range that I have a bunch of, so that helped. It's funny, my daughter just rolled her eyes when she saw it in white. I have a 1:1 white CRX too.

I'm impressed with it so far, too new to be out in the snow so it will wait a while. The M05 is well worth the money and seems to be ready for whatever I do with it.

I'm impressed with it so far, too new to be out in the snow so it will wait a while. The M05 is well worth the money and seems to be ready for whatever I do with it.

Yeah, there's a lot to be said about the benefits of the FWD drivetrain. If you're planning to just book around a parking lot (rather than seriously race), the HPI Switch is a pretty fun runner as well. I'm too lazy to look up the gearing, but it seems faster than my M03 with just a silver can (it comes with a 35T motor)

I was out and about today and found an interesting upgrade for this one. First, friction shocks are not the best. I found traxxas part # 4260 ultra shock (short). If you use the stock spring they are a bolt on replacement and come with oil and all kinds of bits for 14 dollars a pair. It's nice to find something local that fits.