njmlondon

What Tank would you like to see from Tamiya in 1/16?

It always surprises me how few people there are on TC who love tanks. In my humble opinion they are one of the most interesting, high quality, complex, mechanical masterpieces that Mr. T makes. You actually have to dip into non-Tamiya-specific forums like RCUniverse to find lots of threads about the Tamiya tanks.

Anyway, I am on the home straight of completing my full option King Tiger (just 3 years in the making!) and my thoughts now turn to what to build next. It will probably end up being a Tiger or Panther but I am secretly hoping the Tamiya will surprise us all and bring out something new.

So in the vague hope that Tamiya have a chap somewhere reading forums like this for market reasearch purposes, what tank would you like to see most?

For me there are two stand-out all-time great tanks that I hope they release.

1st up is the venerable Panzer III, the slightly better looking "baby Panzer". The PzIV has been praised in most quarters so a PZIII with maybe a Stug III stablemate would definately get my wallet emptied! Heng Long seem to sell lots of their PZIII's but most people seem to upgrade them with better mechanicals and electrics spending at least Tamiya money in the process. I would rather just buy Tamiya quality to begin with!

2ndly, and potentially more likely, I would pay Leopard type money for a T-55. Mr. T has recently released a wonderful 1:35 T-55 Engima and I for one would run out and buy their Full Option 1/16 version. A company called Hooben recently launched one and they seemed to sell like hot-cakes, even though the reviews of the quality were poor to say the least. I think that the many versions of the T-55, the many nations that used them and the fundamental good looks of it would mean a Tamiya version would be a real hit.

So for thye few tankers that seem to be out there, what would you like to see?

T-34 would be nice. Although I dont even own a tamiya tank so I wouldn't mind any of the available options (apart from the jagdpanther or pershing).

• Like 1

For me top of the list would have to be an E100 / Tiger III. I like the massive size of it and uber wide tracks.

The E25 would also be an interesting model. It would be nice for T to produce a proper twin 540 sealed gearbox as well for the tanks, so that driving through mud / water, etc doesn't cause the transmission to need a rebuild, and the 2 540s would add a welcome chunk of torque for turning.

Other tanks I would like to see would be a T55 (Like the hooben model but concerned about the quality).

I'd also like to see a matador lorry in 1/10 (3 axle plz :) )

If you want something different, the current flakpanzer 1/16 model can be converted to r/c.

It always surprises me how few people there are on TC who love tanks. In my humble opinion they are one of the most interesting, high quality, complex, mechanical masterpieces that Mr. T makes. You actually have to dip into non-Tamiya-specific forums like RCUniverse to find lots of threads about the Tamiya tanks.

Anyway, I am on the home straight of completing my full option King Tiger (just 3 years in the making!) and my thoughts now turn to what to build next. It will probably end up being a Tiger or Panther but I am secretly hoping the Tamiya will surprise us all and bring out something new.

What about a panther II ?

You could use a panther kit, then fit the king tiger roadwheels, sprockets, and tracks.

Easy way to make a unique model :)

What about a panther II ?

You could use a panther kit, then fit the king tiger roadwheels, sprockets, and tracks.

Easy way to make a unique model ;)

I have seen this rather nice Panther F Conversion Kit at Welsh Dragon Models!

I have tried to work out how to use the King Tiger steel wheels with the Panther but cannot see how to do it. Any ideas?

I have seen this rather nice Panther F Conversion Kit at Welsh Dragon Models!

I have tried to work out how to use the King Tiger steel wheels with the Panther but cannot see how to do it. Any ideas?

I assume that you use 2 rows of wheels instead of three. It would be necesary to change the tracks (you might even have to use the narrow transport tracks, and then king tiger sprockets and idlers.

Pics here and some detail here:

http://battletanks.com/panther_ii.htm

http://battletanks.com/images/Panther_II.jpg

edit: Looks from the pics that the narrower transport tracks were used.....

So in the vague hope that Tamiya have a chap somewhere reading forums like this for market reasearch purposes, what tank would you like to see most?

For me there are two stand-out all-time great tanks that I hope they release.

1st up is the venerable Panzer III, the slightly better looking "baby Panzer". The PzIV has been praised in most quarters so a PZIII with maybe a Stug III stablemate would definately get my wallet emptied! Heng Long seem to sell lots of their PZIII's but most people seem to upgrade them with better mechanicals and electrics spending at least Tamiya money in the process. I would rather just buy Tamiya quality to begin with!

2ndly, and potentially more likely, I would pay Leopard type money for a T-55. Mr. T has recently released a wonderful 1:35 T-55 Engima and I for one would run out and buy their Full Option 1/16 version. A company called Hooben recently launched one and they seemed to sell like hot-cakes, even though the reviews of the quality were poor to say the least. I think that the many versions of the T-55, the many nations that used them and the fundamental good looks of it would mean a Tamiya version would be a real hit.

So for the few tankers that seem to be out there, what would you like to see?

I think a late model Panzer III stug would be a really good 'budget' tank. The tanks really are very expensive at the moment, with a large price differential between the sherman kit and the new PZ IV (Perhaps becase the shermans don't sell as well ?). I think a simpler, low cost kit would perhaps tempt more people into trying the tanks out. The PZIII looks like it uses a simple torsion bar suspension system. The same suspension system as used in the king tiger, etc models, could be used for the suspension, and the tank destroyer version should be cheaper to put on the shelves as there are fewer bits required than there are for a turreted model. (Should be cheaper to produce than the PZIV as the suspension uses fewer bits. This would be especially true if the servos were used for gun elevation / left right swing instead of those horrible sloppy gearboxes used in the jagdpanther. I've recently been running my jagd, and every time you crest a hill at speed or drive over a bit of a bump the barrel see-saws up and down. It would be cheaper to produce the kit without including these gearboxes, and the model would be better with servos controlling the gun movement.

I'd also like to see a non full option model for sale. This would sigificantly drop the price, and allow me to use my own eletrcis. I've found with my own vintage tanks that using 2 buggy escs and a v tail mixer gives verfy smooth control of the tank, much better than the tamiya DMD unit. which is quite jerky in it's movement.

If the panther / jagdpanther were anything to go on, hopefully T will do a PZIV stug to complement the PZIV tank.

I would like Tamiya re-release the flakpanzer gepard. The static verison was released. The super sherman was cool and so was the Pz.Kpfw but I wish Tamiya would include the side skirts with the wider tracks like the IV version.

Now back to topic....Challenger, Leopard 2 and any 6x6 tank vehicle like AMX-10RC or Engesa EE-9 Cascavel or Spahpanzer Luchs would nice or any of the half tracks...but is not a tank.

I would like to see a true British tank. WWII or even post war would be fine. I know size is an issue, so the Matilda or Churchill might be a problem, but a Cromwell/Centaur would be one option, a Comet or then maybe a Centurion or Chieftain. Then the Chally ... the Challenger tank would be awesome.

I live in the USA and you would think I would vote for the Abrams but I do believe the Chally or Chally II is much better looking.

~ Jeff

I wuld like to see the Swedish tank called "Stridsvagn 103" (Tank 103). It's super cool, complicated due to it's height adjustable roadwheels. It uses the inclination/slope of hills combined with the adlustable suspension to adust the angle of fire. It can hide just behind a very small hill or pile of dirt, almost totally hidden. Very "cold war", made for forrest battle.

Would like to see the German Sturmgeschutz IV tank, I like the side skirts that protect the tracks always like these anti armour tanks.

all these fancy heavy machinery you all mention... are there any complete good-condition examples still in existance/operational?

I've seen an running example of the Stridsvagn 103 Henrikw mentioned at bovington tank display a few years ago. There are running examples of the panzer III/IV still in existance. At the Bovington show there was a also a running Stug III. Pretty much the all British tanks mentioned are present in running condition at Bovington as well. Preserved examples of the T34 / T55 are also fairly common. I know of only 1 Panther F / Panther II in existence, in a museum in America. The E100 prototype was cut up for scrap by the brits after the war, and it never had a turret fitted. The E25 allegedly had 3 hulls completed by the time the war ended, but these were never located.

I'd Iike to see a Challenger 2 or maybe something smaller like a Stuart (with options for recon or the mortar gun carriage version) or a Herzta.

comet, cromwell, churchill, Chally 1, Chally 2, centurion, and any other british tank

Stretching the definition of " tank" a bit but I'd love to see a fully working 1/16 Dragon Wagon tank transporter with trailer. Gods knows how much it would sell for tho?

not a tank but something 'civilian' on tracks would be cool.

if tank than a T34 or a working bergepanzer

when I remember mr. Tamiya's book correctly he should have documented nearly all tanks and panzer that are in a UK or US museum. so everything they have in 1/35 could be made in 1/16

One of the recovery versions would be good, preferably the Challenger version or maybe an armoured bridge layer.

A Cromwell and Centurion, lets have some British tanks in the Tamiya line up :)

well said that man

hows about something a bit different like a centurion,chieftain,challanger1/2 arrv (armoured recovery repair vehicle) or a combat engineering tractor.

T-34 all the way. It is unbelievable that Tamiya still has not made what is actually the most deadly machine of this nature in the history of mankind.

I guess Tamiya started on the right foot though, with the Sherman, although they took LONG to make the Tiger I, in 2000. But 2013 and still no T-34?

Another one that would be nice to see released would be the Abrams. My Tiger runs so fast sometimes it reminds me the way the Abrams tanks run.