kyosho1

If Tamiya ever re-release the 80"s Tamiya R/C guide books, will you buy?

I would for sure,the one i really want is the one with the Grasshopper on the front,i think it's the 1984 edition,i had that as a kid and it literally fell to pieces i looked at it so much,they crop up on ebay occasionally but go for silly money. :(

Let's hope Tamiya read this thread and it gives them an idea.

I have already emailed TamiyaUSA in 2012 with a request for reprints of old editions of Tamiya RC guidebooks for vintage collectors.

Hopefully they have forwarded that idea to Tamiya Japan since.

Really early vintage catalogues ( non RC) go for silly money. I've got a nice collection of them starting from around 1967. I missed out on an earlier one on evil bay but it went for a big price. The one with the young enthusiast on the front is rare.

Those shop advertisements have me thinking that printing some old-school advertisement posters for re-releases would be kind of nice - like a revamped poster for The Frog or The Hornet. Or even a catalogue detailing all the re-releases... Maybe I am thinking of a book?

oh yeah :) ...that SC poster would be framed at my house......if it was big enough....

I'd buy em for sure.

I have a few from the early 80's I browse through here and there. They are all in great condition too and awesome to look at and read.

Cool thread...

Definitely all the 80s ones, I have a few vintage ones but it would be nice to be able to collect the rest without shelling out the cost of a kit to get them.

Definately fun to read. I have a few of the ones I have more than one of for sale in my trade section, if any interest.

Would be cool with a book, with the full program from then till now.

• Like 1

WHOWW!!! Ugly guy!

Max

He's probably in an old peoples home by now. :-)

• Like 1

The answer is no. I am having a hard enough time keeping my shelve queens, runners and NIB and now magazine! Are you crazy :lol: .

I would if I have a bigger place with my own man cave and more money, will even frame the box lids and display all the toys I have.

Nice to see them doing this but I couldn't see them reissuing any of the other guide books from the 1980s etc. And even this 1978 effort is going to be a miniature of the original.

However, when I see them doing stuff like this it reinforces my long held belief that they will re-release 58001 in all of it's primitive glory in 2016.

He's probably in an old peoples home by now. :-)

Not quite. The pic shows the front page of the 1970 catalog and in the book "The Spirits of Tamiya News 1967-2000" issued in 2001, the same front page is pictured together with another pic of the same person in 2001 with the same models. He's must be in his late 30's/early 40's in the pic, and looks more handsome than probably the vast majority of us, by the way. Personally, I don't think normal human beings can be called ugly based on how they look. Many human minds are ugly though.

When talking about old Tamiya catalogs, does anyone know if there exist issues older than 1965? I have all catalogs from 1965 and up except for 1966, and would like to know if there are older versions out there too that I can add to the collection. Extensive searches for years haven't found anything older though.

• Like 2

This is the only vintage one I have, got a couple from 2000 on but they don't count.

20140820_171919-1_zps2f5664bd.jpg

Much prefer original books to reading them online

From what year is the one with the captain of a ship on the front cover?

1965. (It also says so on the front cover).

But considering that Tamiya used the same front and back cover two years in a row (1968 and 1969), it's possible that the "Captain" cover was used more than once too. As I have never seen the 1966 catalog, it might have the same cover and if a 1964 catalog actually exists, it could possibly have the same cover too.

I've only seen one of those 65 editions once on evil bay in years and years.

if i'm not mistaken, Tamiya made a reprint of the 1965 catalog some years ago, but I've never seen it offered and don't know if the reprint, if it all exists, was offered in 1:1 format. Here's a (poor) mobile pic and a scan of the front page of my 1965 catalog:

10580049_10152293800697407_771657592173110697220_10152293800732407_2120814544603

The one I saw was an original, went for quite a few bucks.

I believe most of the interest for the pre RC-era Tamiya catalogs is in Japan. I bought my 1965 catalog from a German seller together with other early Tamiya catalogs for less than EUR20,- a piece. Recently I got an original Tamiya Catalog Binder in red (which predates the # 66037 blue version from 1980) with pristine 1970 through 1976 catalogs and paid less than EUR100,-.

I found 6 in the attic. Got the thick 2013 bilingual RC Catalog too somewhere, and half a dozen of the main Tamiya model catalogues from the 80's/90's.

rc.jpg

I don't know if you have tried AMAZON since they seem to have just about anything that is in print, but I would suspect that yes, the home market of Japan would have the most inventory of the older items. It also explains your copy as that name sure doesn't sound from around those parts of the Asian Islands. LOL All kidding aside, I love the old RC guidebooks, never really fell in love with the full range catalog, probably because I dont' have the patience to put together static models, but in my old age, maybe I will now. I would love to see ANY of the EXPLODED pieces of art that Tamiya made re released in print form. I think Chris' post from ages ago when he went to the home of Tamiya in Japan had some of those actual pieces of art on the walls and he took a photo or two. It would stand to reason that Tamiya would either do one of two things, 1) commission the work be done by a professional studio type photographer that they turn loose in their facilities all over the world or 2) turn some of their own folks loose with some nice High Quality cameras and patience and ask them to start shooting a bazillion or two photos of what they do at work and what they see of the rich heritage of the Tamiya products that surround them every day.

I suppose these photos in the past were sort of like NASA press release photos or something where all three TV networks(YES 3, I can remember back that far. LOL) would get some of the same feed or stock photos as taken by the ONE entity that they approved to take the photos, similar story to newspaper photos as well, one person is allowed to shoot the photos, and then the rest of the folks get to run the photo in their story.

I quite like the paper guides as they require no batteries, much lighter than my laptop, don't generate heat and keep my imagination focused on dreaming about just that set of cars and photos instead of all the 1000's of websites I start to drift off to while I look at TC photos and want to get more R&D on the real life car or other folks versions of the same model.

Enjoy what they print for us, I got one of the first Perfect books when they went to that format, the 30th anniversary and it makes me want to read Japanese to understand the specs and data on each page, but the photos are there, albeit more like computer thumbnails versus nice big photos like in days gone past. It sure would be nice if some of the "FREE" or "EXTRAS" that Tamiya put into the kits these days included a nice big BOY'S ROOM sized poster of the model you just bought and will build, but we can only hope they are reading all this dribble we post up.