gecko no more

Best valentine's gift ever? or What's a Posi Joint?

Evenin all.

Got a bit lucky yesterday when the Mrs was browsing her interweb and came across an ad for "2 rc's, reddy to go". I got home from work and about an hour later I dained to indulge her ( she keeps her eye open but most of em are the tenner down the market jobbies so didn't hold out much hope but looked anyway. My interest rose when I saw one was a tamiya but couldn't quite work out what car from the poor pic. Then my eye caught a glimpse of alloy hiding inside the front wheel and I studied even harder. Mind working overtime by now I looked at the asking price and my heart nearly stopped. Half hour later it's sitting on the kitchen table with all the spares strewn for all to see and me with a grin like a cheshire cat.

Pix to follow very soon but while looking over it I noticed a knackered front uj but thought "oh well, reasonably easy to get hold of" but then on closer inspection I realised it wasn't knackered or broken but was unlike anything I've seen before and seemingly had just popped apart. Bit of reading on here later and I realise it has Posi joint shafts fore and aft. BONUS ( I think) lol

This has got me wondering what other secrets this machine has waiting for me when I strip her down and give her a good clean up....................................

First question tho is can I just tap it back together or is there a special method to re-joining the two parts???

Pix shortly

cheers Cliff

Evenin all.

Got a bit lucky yesterday when the Mrs was browsing her interweb and came across an ad for "2 rc's, reddy to go". I got home from work and about an hour later I dained to indulge her ( she keeps her eye open but most of em are the tenner down the market jobbies so didn't hold out much hope but looked anyway. My interest rose when I saw one was a tamiya but couldn't quite work out what car from the poor pic. Then my eye caught a glimpse of alloy hiding inside the front wheel and I studied even harder. Mind working overtime by now I looked at the asking price and my heart nearly stopped. Half hour later it's sitting on the kitchen table with all the spares strewn for all to see and me with a grin like a cheshire cat.

Pix to follow very soon but while looking over it I noticed a knackered front uj but thought "oh well, reasonably easy to get hold of" but then on closer inspection I realised it wasn't knackered or broken but was unlike anything I've seen before and seemingly had just popped apart. Bit of reading on here later and I realise it has Posi joint shafts fore and aft. BONUS ( I think) lol

This has got me wondering what other secrets this machine has waiting for me when I strip her down and give her a good clean up....................................

First question tho is can I just tap it back together or is there a special method to re-joining the two parts???

Pix shortly

cheers Cliff

Well my first question is.... what car(s) did you buy, you havent mentioned them.

Cheers

Sorry, forgot that bit. hehe.

e1.jpg

e2.jpg

e3.jpg

e4.jpg

e5.jpg

e6.jpg

e7.jpg

e8.jpg

I know it has the wrong rear wing but I have a few "buds" adjustable racing wings knocking about so I'll throw one of those on for now, but appears to have come with the most vulnerable bits as brand new spares which is a real bonus. I reckon it's been raced in a previous life as some of the parts have been "beefed up" and it even has little dirt shields of sorts around the rear gearbox outputs

e9.jpg

I'm hoping to giver her a good going over to make sure all's well then she'll be a runner, with more up to date electrics obviously.

I'm over the moon with it tho as a few yrs ago I really wanted another to replace mine I sold a few more yrs ago, but with the prices so high on these I couldn't buy outright so was wheeling and dealing my way up to one when I got scammed on an Avante 2001 I was selling by someone and that put the kybosh on any hope I had of getting another, until now.

Cliff

Please don't bang on them. Posi joints don't pound or snap together. If you remove them from the car, they simply slip together, but only at a 90* angle (and only if inserted into the correct side). Once you straighten them out, they become locked.

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

really enjoyed working with Posi-Joints ;)

lucky u mate to have the Posi-Joints along with the (Egress) or what shall i call it!! :angry:)

Please don't bang on them. Posi joints don't pound or snap together. If you remove them from the car, they simply slip together, but only at a 90* angle (and only if inserted into the correct side). Once you straighten them out, they become locked.

Just had the offending corner apart and found that out, thanks.

Like I say, until this afternoon I never knew such things existed. Learn sommat new every day eh? Are they really much better than cvd's tho? or were they something designed to be the latest must have?

Cliff

really enjoyed working with Posi-Joints ;)

lucky u mate to have the Posi-Joints along with the (Egress) or what shall i call it!! :angry:)

LOL. as far as I can tell it's deff' an Egress, so not too sure why there's an Avante manual in there, unless a previous owner had one of those two and the manuals got muddled up????

I would say it started life as an Avante and then added a Carbon Chassis Kit later on (see my thread here). The major clue is that it doesn't have any of the Components unique to the Egress kit (other than the body). Front shock setup is using a Hi-cap shock tower that comes with the separate hi-cap damper packages for the minis. The Egress shock tower is similar, but much taller. Pretty cool.

The posi joints are a truly unique item. As far as I know, there has never been anything like them before or sinse. They probably don't work/perform all that great compared to rebuildable CVD's (which hit the scene a bit later).

Cool to see a real racer from the late 80's to early 90's.

Those posi joint are real unique I have it on my Avante as well in my show room.

LOL. as far as I can tell it's deff' an Egress, so not too sure why there's an Avante manual in there, unless a previous owner had one of those two and the manuals got muddled up????

:o

the first thing i would do it take out these Posi-Joints and clean them...;)

so whats the plan on this ;)

since u have pink body, any plans to apply the pink wheels from AVante BS ;)

:o

the first thing i would do it take out these Posi-Joints and clean them...;)

so whats the plan on this ;)

since u have pink body, any plans to apply the pink wheels from AVante BS ;)

I was actually thinking about taking em out, cleaning em and maybe offering up to someone who would really appreciate em for what they are.

Tbh it makes no odds to me whether I have those or normal cvd's in my car, as long as it runs fine. I'm just pleased to have the car and be able to run it as I really love the way they drive, and it's not gonna get used that often really.

No plans to change the wheels at all, but maybe eventually would like a box art shell as I think it's looks the nuts in the siver scheme.

Also gonna get rid of the older electrics as I use spekky radio and have some modern speedo's sitting here ready to go in. Hopefully find someone out there would like the classic radio and esc to finish off their shelf queen.

Cliff

I would say it started life as an Avante and then added a Carbon Chassis Kit later on (see my thread here). The major clue is that it doesn't have any of the Components unique to the Egress kit (other than the body). Front shock setup is using a Hi-cap shock tower that comes with the separate hi-cap damper packages for the minis. The Egress shock tower is similar, but much taller. Pretty cool.

The posi joints are a truly unique item. As far as I know, there has never been anything like them before or sinse. They probably don't work/perform all that great compared to rebuildable CVD's (which hit the scene a bit later).

Cool to see a real racer from the late 80's to early 90's.

Fair point and from flicking thru the avanta manual that came with it I think you could be right as there are various scribblings next to some parts like SA3 being crossed out and ballraced steering set 53033 written next to it, diff gear bag parts crossed out and Ball Diff written in, all drive shaft bits crossed out and 53031 , 53032 posi joint written in.

This also points to it having been owned by a racer at some point in the past as they've been meticulous in the detail going into it. Looks like they even bought the inner sponge set for it too, will have to have a lok and see if they're still present.

Just seen they even fitted 53009 suspension Titanium rod set in place of stock.

Maybe in the manual, but they are not present on the car. They have fitted aftermarket ball-cups with turnbuckles. Definitely better for racing than the titanium rods because they can be adjusted without having to pop off a ball cup.