Sign in to follow this  
JYCM3

The Hornet by Jun Watanabe

Only if you are a 6 year old girl princess and into Barbie & My Little Pony :o;)

Yeah. This is very much a case of a designer creating something my 6yr old niece could reliably duplicate, and then being lauded for his creativity and boldness. Hey, anyone remember when superior skill was required to become renowned...you know, instead of just good marketing?

If you're a designer showcasing your work, this is how you need to throw down. or even this. I don't wanna see "durr hurr hurr, I made a moo cow"

you guys are pretty harsh, the most hideous? hardly. c'mon there's still strikers and that other striker/fighter looking abomination, the varja, those "rc boy racer" things.

some people love those old troll tires, whats so different about these?

a colorfull hornet is just that, it's still a hornet. so much hate. tisk tisk.

i'd roll that hornet any day! i do have a soft spot for cow pattern.

Three thoughts immediately spring to mind:

LOVE IT.

MUST FIND ONE.

WHY HASN'T TAMIYA DONE THIS SOONER?

This is a fantastic idea IMO! These special designer additions are almost always a hit with things like shoes, figurines, and other collectables, so it makes perfect sense (to me) that Tamiya would attempt the same.

I think the design ethic is very love it/hate it, but if you consider what the Japanese market is typically drawn to, that crazy Hornet is spot on in every way! I say you will be hard pressed to find one before they're long sold out. :(

Three thoughts immediately spring to mind:

LOVE IT.

MUST FIND ONE.

WHY HASN'T TAMIYA DONE THIS SOONER?

This is a fantastic idea IMO! These special designer additions are almost always a hit with things like shoes, figurines, and other collectables, so it makes perfect sense (to me) that Tamiya would attempt the same.

I think the design ethic is very love it/hate it, but if you consider what the Japanese market is typically drawn to, that crazy Hornet is spot on in every way! I say you will be hard pressed to find one before they're long sold out. :)

I think thats settles it then.. Its Marmite :(

oh i know - i'll paint my next project with cow dung and call it ART :(

oh i know - i'll paint my next project with cow dung and call it ART :(

Is cow dung really the least artistic thing you could come up with?

Sarcasm fail, lol :)

Is cow dung really the least artistic thing you could come up with?

Sarcasm fail, lol :(

I dunno. It's well within the realm of "Do a silly effortless thing and rely on my status as an artiste to carry it" or "Do a silly effortless thing and rely on people's fear of admitting that they don't get it to carry it"

Small but there LOL .

Well, since art is open to interpretations, please excuse my crudeness . Either looks like a cow or Dalmatian with udders all around :(

But I like the pink tires - maybe a Hornet/grasshopper/SS Black Special :)

I dunno. It's well within the realm of "Do a silly effortless thing and rely on my status as an artiste to carry it" or "Do a silly effortless thing and rely on people's fear of admitting that they don't get it to carry it"

soileffect.jpg

Yeah, sorta like identifying dung as 'less-than-art' while relying on people's fears to confirm your status as an art critic.

*yawn*

Besides, Jun Watanabe is a designer -- Which is distinctly different from being purely an artist.

Mark my words this will be a huge hit within the Japanese market, which is what it was designed for to begin with. :(

soileffect.jpg

Yeah, sorta like identifying dung as 'less-than-art' while relying on people's fears to confirm your status as an art critic.

*yawn*

Besides, Jun Watanabe is a designer -- Which is distinctly different from being purely an artist.

Mark my words this will be a huge hit within the Japanese market, which is what it was designed for to begin with. :(

Cute, but sculpting a rabbit from dung is significantly different from photographing a cow patty or strategically placing a bodyshell beneath a defecating horse and declaring it a masterpiece. Do I create art each time I smile, or am I required to put in a bit more effort?

I don't know what purpose making the distinction between Jun being a designer or an artist is, unless designers aren't required to produce attractive or innovative designs.

No one's commenting on the eventual success. We're saying it's hideous, and not a whole lot more worthy of praise than the efforts of countless members who've sprayed a lunchbox pink and put Hello Kitty stickers on it for their daughters.

I suppose it may draw a few extra yen into the company, it may even spark an interest in a part of the market that they long wanted to get into, hope it pays for itself.

I was tempted by a pair of pink tyres for my mountain bike because they were a lot cheaper, never made the leap though. :(

I guess I'd roll on these if they hit the right price, wonder if it's a match to frog pink? Might look ok hitting up some jumps or for ripping down the tarmac 1/4 mile 1.10 style :)

The thing I wonder is why such a simple animal print, I would have thought if your at the age to want one of these, your imagination would be intact, and you want a nicer looking print animal, or even a hornet's stripes, D'oh, or make it like that pink cow from the Magic Roundabout can't spell her name though, begins with E I think. Stick a pink daisy on it as well as it's a girly car.

I don't think 6 year old girls first choice would be cow, pony yes, unicorn maybe, seahorse at a push but cow? I thought the cows over there were Kobe or something living the life of luxury getting massages etc? Not much room for cow exposure, for you average school kid,or is there some cow related news I should be up to date with?

Sayer I'd get my 6 year old, if I had one, the Fiat over the cow any day.

Maybe the cows for real young kids, when they can't really focus to sharply, get them hooked young.

Cute, but sculpting a rabbit from dung is significantly different from photographing a cow patty or strategically placing a bodyshell beneath a horse and declaring it a masterpiece. Do I create art each time I smile, or am I required to put in a bit more effort?

I don't know what purpose making the distinction between Jung being a designer or an artist is unless designers aren't required to produce attractive or innovative designs.

No one's commenting on the eventual success. We're saying it's hideous, and not a whole lot more worthy of praise than the efforts of countless members who've sprayed a lunchbox pink and put Hello Kitty stickers on it for their daughters.

No, the bunny is no different than the photo, or your teeth example for that matter. All of these are art if they are the expression of an artist. Yes, art is everywhere, but good art is extremely rare! :(

I think eventual success was implied, but I'm fine with being wrong on that. What I take issue with is it being declared a hideous work of art. That of course is the distinction here; Jun Watanabe was paid to produce a successful design, not a work of art. The design however, is inspired by his art: http://www.junwatanabe.jp/2009/12/t9g-museum-09.html

t9g001.jpg

Thanks for that OCD makes a lot more sense now, but seeing the monster makes the cow print a little more of a let down.

Thanks for that OCD makes a lot more sense now, but seeing the monster makes the cow print a little more of a let down.

Yeah, but not everyone sees 'cow'.

41274268.jpg

And who says it has to be an animal print anyhow?

I just meant the hornet incarnation seemed a bit plain for all the effort of making a new model edition, it just looked black and white, the pics were small though might have missed some subtle colours. There was a time in London full scale cow models kept popping up around the place some black and white I think then some more like the monster. It livened up the place, got people out of the don't make eye contact dash, they may be lurking in the back of my mind. :(

I would have liked that pattern a lot more, maybe the frog Ltd Ed?. Get some purple tyres and we are away.

I'm all in favour of Ltd Ed models in anything. I would have rather the monster on it, or a nod towards it in the pattern. Little girls are cool with monsters now right, after that film?

No, the bunny is no different than the photo, or your teeth example for that matter. All of these are art if they are the expression of an artist. Yes, art is everywhere, but good art is extremely rare! :(

I think eventual success was implied, but I'm fine with being wrong on that. What I take issue with is it being declared a hideous work of art. That of course is the distinction here; Jun Watanabe was paid to produce a successful design, not a work of art. The design however, is inspired by his art: http://www.junwatanabe.jp/2009/12/t9g-museum-09.html

t9g001.jpg

I'd be on board if the Hornet was painted up like the monster's torso. True story. (and they'd sell just as well in Japan I'd hazard)

I'd be on board if the Hornet was painted up like the monster's torso. True story. (and they'd sell just as well in Japan I'd hazard)

Hmm, fair point. Although I still fail to see what is wrong with the design offered; Its true to his design ethic, and still remains to be unique in its own way. I notice a lot of Watanabe's ideas are inspired by memories of his childhood, so the colors and pattern make sense. Personally I find it wonderful that the Hornet gets to represent iconic design from this time period as well. Notice that he chose the Optima in his personal work!!

for me it looks like a cow with pink socks <_<

+1

A mad cow, mind you, but yes. Pink socks.

Hmm, fair point. Although I still fail to see what is wrong with the design offered; Its true to his design ethic, and still remains to be unique in its own way. I notice a lot of Watanabe's ideas are inspired by memories of his childhood, so the colors and pattern make sense. Personally I find it wonderful that the Hornet gets to represent iconic design from this time period as well. Notice that he chose the Optima in his personal work!!

I think my main problem is I really like the original Hornet livery, and I'm of the opinion that if you're going to release a special designer inspired version of the car, the livery should be at least as good if not better. To me, this isn't better. I can always buy a regular Hornet. If Tamiya wants to motivate me to buy what will probably be a more expensive Hornet, they're going to have to present me with a car that I'd rather get when I compare the two. Jun's name just isn't enough, if I still prefer the regular version.

I think my main problem is I really like the original Hornet livery, and I'm of the opinion that if you're going to release a special designer inspired version of the car, the livery should be at least as good if not better. To me, this isn't better. I can always buy a regular Hornet. If Tamiya wants to motivate me to buy what will probably be a more expensive Hornet, they're going to have to present me with a car that I'd rather get when I compare the two. Jun's name just isn't enough, if I still prefer the regular version.

Well, there you go then. You like the Hornet, so Tamiya has Hornets by the boatload. This is a Hornet for the people who don't like or care about the stock offering, and happen to collect designer items. A rare breed sure, but this isn't to sell volume, this is a high-visibility product to get people talking... Judging by this thread, I'd say it's already a huge success <_<

I respectfully disagree. He is a stylist. Mr. Tamiya and his engineering department are the designers in question.

And for the record, I like it. I wouldn't buy it, but I like it.

I respectfully disagree. He is a stylist. Mr. Tamiya and his engineering department are the designers in question.

And for the record, I like it. I wouldn't buy it, but I like it.

Oh man, you are so right! Even though that article is 11 years old, it really drives the point home: So much that is created by so-called "designers" is really just the stylizing of other people's work. This Hornet being no exception!

Thank you for posting this Mark - made my night <_<