Sign in to follow this  
turbocharged s15(2)

Final speed control/motor ? Help!!

Hey. Ok im serious bout this post. The deal is last night and a couple night before a was looking at my driveshast and took it out and relized that is was really strong and it took it much strenth to barely bend it so im not worried about upgrading my driveshaft. My real question is now that i know that my shaft is really strong, well i want to upgrade my motor to either a 16-15t motor. But the real ? is will my speed control be able to handle it. The 17t in it now is fine but if i go to the 15-16t motor will i have to upgrade my esc. If my speed control can handle im going to lower my motor turns down to a 15-16 turn. I know if i go with a 15t i might need to change my esc. But do you guys think it could handle a 16t. Thanks[8D]

You're talking about the CPR-01 thingy in an XBpro, right?

Can you find out what the specs are on that... I haven't found much data published on it. Tamiya only says its usable with "RS-540 Motor and RS-540 Sport Tuned Motor (with wiring for XB Series cars)". Doesn't sound very promising.

The motor limit is mainly due to what stresses you put on it really... eg a free-running drivetrain and a hotter motor is ok for the ESC if you don't floor the throttle when the car is obviously stuck against a tree with the tyres bogged.

Not sure if the CPR-01 has any overheating/cutoff features in it.

Well i have my speed gems 17t single in it right now and the cpr-01 unit doesn't really get hot.My motor gets hot.Ya my cpr-01 will get hot if i slam it the whole time but will a 16t function in it right.It won't jack up the whole unit will it.Will it be safe.Thanks[8D]

Please understand we *all* are only users of the things, we weren't the ones who designed it. Nobody knows its limits other than the Tamiya engineers who've probably crashtested the thing.

Although most factories make recommendations based on "lowest common denominator", it is up to You (the owner/user) how you want to use/abuse your item.

Motors also differ significantly... it is not unknown that identical motors can draw different amts of current to do the same job. Then you also have to take into account the track you are running on... a small tight track will make it work even harder.

Heat in the ESC is a relative thing. ESCs get hot when their FETs are not 100% efficient, but this does not take into account the current carrying capacity of the FETs or the circuitboard/wiring. You can still blow a FET if too much current passes through it, or burns a track of the PCB.